Topic: for the dutch vinyl lovers among us...

Is there a way to support this company as a robot in Holland? Would be nice to keep companies like these alive....
The article claims it is the largest vinyl factory in the world. The Dutch like to make claims like this, but is it true?

http://www.nuzakelijk.nl/20080725/nuzak … stry-video

De toekomst van platenmaker Record Industry

De platenindustrie is in verwarring over de toekomst van de geluidsdrager. Wordt de distributie van muziek slechts een digitale aangelegenheid of blijft de cd en het vinyl bestaan?

Alles is mogelijk, dat laat de ontwikkeling van de vinyl plaat wel zien. Midden jaren negentig leek de lp ten dode opgeschreven, maar dat is nog niet gebeurd.

Zo staat in Haarlem de grootste platenfabriek van de wereld: Record Industry, dat in 1998 werd overgenomen door Ton Vermeulen van Sony.

Re: for the dutch vinyl lovers among us...

het moeilijkste is geweest

mensen willen een fysieke geluidsdrager kopen

Did they talk about the future and how it looks like for vinyl, according to them?

Reality is just a simulation

yes, they say the hardest part is over, and they expect people will want to buy something they can hold in their hands again because of the unreliable life expectancy of digital copies.. read: cd's that don't work anymore after a few years, or digital files that become unplayable after a service/ webshop closes its doors (happened more than once already)..

our 12" market may be down, but the rock/pop/metal/etc album market on vinyl is getting bigger again, often with a cd included.. i think vinyl will be with us for many, many more years.

5 (edited by Scarface 2008-07-28 22:16:31)

Apart from the physical (something in your hands)-argument. Once the "reliabilityproblem" of digital copies has been solved, that would be the hit in the neck (nekslag) for vinyl maybe... This could take a long time though. On the other hand about the reliability of CDs: most of my CDs older than 20 years I have no playoutproblems with: that's pretty reliable to me.
I wonder how long the 12" will hold,  they could become too expensive in the long run because the demand is getting less (?) or even not lucrative anymore. Just like the 7" disappeared as important medium.

"Are you loving?"

http://www.ad.nl/cultuur/2474071/Langsp … eback.html

7 (edited by RETALI8 2008-07-29 00:31:12)

I obviously couldn't read the whole interview so I only have the thread to go from.
But something I find interesting is that more and more labels seem to be going to more effort with their packaging now.

Instead of just a crappy sleeve (which of course is understandably cheaper and more cost effective so it has its place too) we are seeing more records come out with special printing techniques -- handmade, screenprinted etc. Or great efforts put into packaging, eg the Wierd Records LPs which come in a gatefold cover with a huge inlay book with lyrics, information about the artists, photos from their gigs etc.
I think that's nice to see...of course music isn't about the packaging but I think the idea of having a record that people WANT to own instead of having on mp3 or some shit is an interesting concept

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

Scarface wrote:

Apart from the physical (something in your hands)-argument. Once the "reliabilityproblem" of digital copies has been solved, that would be the hit in the neck (nekslag) for vinyl maybe... This could take a long time though. On the other hand about the reliability of CDs: most of my CDs older than 20 years I have no playoutproblems with: that's pretty reliable to me.

I think with CDs maybe the older CDs were a lot better made? Since now CDs are being made on cheaper and cheaper equipment, CDRs etc. Which are reported to often only have a life of a few years especially if not stored properly.

I'm no expert but just putting it out there, maybe someone else knows more about this?

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

RETALI8:  I agree, but that goes for any CD thats professionally or commercially "pressed" or burnt.  As long as you don't scratch it, they are usually fine.  The same can't be said for CD's burnt at home on your pc.

it's the only answer the vinyl brigade can ghive: make sure that you put something out that people want. the advantage of a vinyl record is what you can do with the packaging (leaving purist issues about sound and dj culture aside) so that's where their advantage lies.

asa for the realiability problem: this has everything to do with copyright holders, and while things are going better with more drm-free files, there are still many out there that have all kinds of restrictions on them. and i also believe that once a customer has bene fucked by those, he'll never buy legal files again, another example of the industry shooting themselves in the foot.

as for the 12" as a madium: the 7" has already made a comeback too..

lots of stuff is only on 7 inch!

7 inches of solid pleasure

Optimistik words, nice to be read :-)
Thxxx for the partial translation !
We need to read such news/info
cool

there is one simple rule that applies with any technology: mistrust anyone who claims something has come to an end...

i spoke to a record shop owner the other day and he said something nice along the lines of

'first there was the bicycle, then they made the motor bike. many people still prefer bicycles today'

but he was down because he hadn't sold a record for 6 days

the problem of shops has nothing to do with vinyl itself, but with the emergence of internet shops. i know many people who still buy loads of vinyl, but all shop online now as they have much more stock there then in any physical shop.. though i believe that if you are a good shop with a strong customer base, you'll survive..

your right,  my routine has been mostly online stores . but of course it has to do with vinyl as well.

the older generation music junkies use vinyl and will continue to till the end because its part of the culture and routine. so for stores targeting them, yes  online is the main threat. but most of the future junkies growing up now are digital because thats how they started (or will start) and it is more convenient. so if you try to sell to them not only is online a threat (because they can have it delivered for cheaper) but these people don't want these bulky expensive plates that they can't play on their ipod at 320 kbps

the store owner  i was refering to had about 85 % minimal records. most minimal djs i know use serato or cd's . so of course hes gonna struggle. especially with the fast growing rate of new music and crap being put out that people want that hes trying to target

the stores that carry older music that carry a sentimental value/memory , or just wanna collect have a much better chance of surviving .

what he said about the bicycle was optimistic but the more i think about it, its not a good comparison cause bicycles are cheaper and eco friendly which is why a lot of people choose them .

rude66 wrote:

the problem of shops has nothing to do with vinyl itself, but with the emergence of internet shops..

you're right.
it's all about taxes...

not just taxes; owning or renting a shop on a fair location is very expensive (at least in holland)

About the 7". All I meant is that there used to be a time (till mid 80's) that every song that wanted some special attention on the radio or else was released on 7". Those times are gone. There's still some music put out on 7" but far less.
If (the new generation) DJ's are using less and less 12" (more and more CD or harddisk) it could be going the same way as with the 7". It will be still there but not as the number one medium for (dance)music. You can see this tendency also with all those limited releases. It show that labels are playing safe because they know large numbers aren't selling that easily anymore.

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

You can see this tendency also with all those limited releases. It show that labels are playing safe because they know large numbers aren't selling that easily anymore.

I wonder how many copies bigger (established) electronic labels still press per EP. 1000 or 500 copies? Would be interesting to know.
Our circle always was around 200-300 copies per release the last 7 years, and we still are on that level. But we have less recordstores/mailorders to work with. From about 20 that our friends label Kommando 6 worked with beginning 2000s, only a few survied till now.

Reality is just a simulation

The Free Record Shop (which had many shops in Holland selling vinyl) and still has a quite large chain of shops is selling vinyl again: more than 14.000 titles now.

http://www.freerecordshop.nl/?gclid=CID … 3godKAQ-OQ

"Are you loving?"

on a similar topic, I've always wondered if there was a plant in europe that would do really limited runs of 12"s like 100 copies or so for a reasonable price?

that said, what is the etiquette with just ordering just test pressings? could I for example do a run of 20 test pressings and then just sell them / give them away to DJ friends without the obligation to buy "proper" pressings?

I'm very much in the dark about this, if these options were there I would put a lot of my own stuff out on vinyl myself.