Topic: Constant Q equalizer

is a constant Q equalizer useful for mastering/finishing/polishing kinda things or on busses maybe? does anybody use it for other purposes and wich models are good and wich are not? i guess they are mainly used for correting a soundsystem, no?

Re: Constant Q equalizer

constant Q on a grapihc eq doesn't seem that impressive to me.. i'd rather have a decent parametric

linear phase eq is supposed to be some hot shit for mastering

Constant Q can be used for creative sound sculpting also. I love my 31-band Furman EQ. Parametric is good too. I use both. I tend to use the 31 band for quick fixes on somthing being recorded. Like for example On a bassline I might lower the 100Hz band to make room for the Drum Kick. I know a parametric can do that also but it is ready to go with the 31 band.

Planet of Cevo

DamDuram wrote:

is a constant Q equalizer useful for mastering/finishing/polishing kinda things or on busses maybe? does anybody use it for other purposes and wich models are good and wich are not? i guess they are mainly used for correting a soundsystem, no?

Usually these multiband eq's (with or without constant Q) introduce to much extra noise to be really considered mastering grade. This is purely a design 'flaw', your signal has to go through so many components in a 31 band eq it's not even funny. Not a problem in PA systems ofcourse where a little extra noise isn't that big a deal. But for mastering a definate no no...
On the other hand some might actually be good for the creative reasons, little bit of added distortion/harmonics is usually a good thing. Helps if the manufacturer chose 'musical bands' of course... Can't help you with good/bad models. Always thought parametric was the way to go personally.

Linear phase to my ears is best for cutting freq's in mastering, boosting with LP introduces too much ringing/pre-echo esp. if the boost you need is a tight Q with high gain. Some LP eq's do sound nice with a wide Q and small boost though, almost analog ;-)

Gast..!

5 (edited by DamDuram 2010-01-30 00:18:44)

many thanks for your advice, guys.

i had this idea, because i thought a constant q would be more precise maybe. i use the eq of my desk for soundmodeling and i dont have any eq for the mainbus. i feel the need to cut frequencies below 35hz especially with the mfb522 kick and other deep bass, its way to thick most of the time- everything sounds wobbling and muddy,steals the highs and overall loudness. that is my experience.
to be honest, im really bad in mixing and/or i dont have  enough patience for it, although i hear it, theres something wrong but dont know what to do. when i tweak things for hours i cant decide anything and i usually give up and leave things as they are. sometimes i can fix thing after recording but i want to get the mix right before the recording, so it wont feel like processing a film - like, lets see what i get this time.
in the past i didnt had any trouble to get a punchy 909kick out of my drumstation but a 808 kinda thing is a problem for me. maybe i should visit a pro masteringstudio and use it as a lesson instead of buying another piece of gear.
another question: a linear phase eq is DAW only, no? i have these wave plugs and for the cutting out the bass, it works fine, but always after the recording and this takes away some loudness and i have to compress it.

ok. for mastering purposes, i

6 (edited by Forax 2010-01-30 02:02:26)

do you record your final mix into a computer?  why not use a plugin eq?

7 (edited by DamDuram 2010-01-30 12:11:05)

yeah, i do. i use the waves q10 eq from the platinum bundle (or diamond it is). but like i said, i

Nti Eq3

Broken Pots Hunter

If you feel the need to eq the masterbuss during mixing i think it'll be wiser to try and 'fit in the mix' and try to get as good as a mix as possible, without driving yourself nuts ofcourse ;-).  If you feel your mixes are to muddy/wobbly you might want to try using more compression during the mix stage to tame that. I always first try a compressor before even eq'ing the bd or bassline. Try experimenting with sidechaining the bd and bassline also to get a tighter lowend.

Forax is right, it's not a crime to eq and compress the final mix in a daw, just don't slam it with a limiter/finalizer. I think this actually works better especially if you don't have some really nice compressors/eq's to use on the buss. Some plugins basicly sound better than the budget gear most of us can afford (i'm thinking waves, PSP, sonalksis, flux etc.)
Re: cutting the bass, i think your to high up with 35hz, just use a 6/12 db hi-pass filter at 20/25hz to clean it up a little and you'll be fine. Add a touch of compression, couple of db's, to get the level up and maybe boost lowend somewhere between 60/180hz with a tight'ish Q to give your bd/bass a little more punch if you feel you lost lowend with the hi-pass.

No, there are stand alone linear phase eq's, still completely digital of course. But you'll need to take out a mortgage to get a good one (weiss).

DBX 242 or Aphex 109 might be a good starting point for your search and won't break the bank.
But if you don't have any compression to use during mixing yet, i'd first go that route.

Gast..!

minimalrome wrote:

Nti Eq3

Yeah, or massenburg GML 9500 ;-)

Gast..!

so, i have a dbx166xl now for the masterbus. hope i

Here's a link to free EQ's, VST's. FREEWARE not pirata.
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=8

Here's a link to a google search from 'magic eq' frequencies
http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_ … cerpt1.htm

Planet of Cevo

thanks for the links, blue maquina

the free plugs look useful. i will try some of those constant q and make a compare , tonight. lots of free stuff and maybe just what i need.

good read also, i