Topic: 808 issues

My TR-808 has lost audio from all outputs.  The sequencer still seems to work fine.  What can this issue be?

(I've noticed two other strange things.  The pattern light used to blink when I paused/stopped a sequence but now just stays on.  Also, the A/B light used to blink and flash when I initialized a pattern.  Now, it just stays on with no blinking.)

Any ideas are appreciated!

Re: 808 issues

i take it you've checked the internal battery?

did you move anything? is the sync in/out switch in the right place?

4 (edited by malleus maleficarum 2010-02-04 01:05:58)

Sync is in the right place.  Levels are all up.  Just changed the AA batteries.  Banged on it with a rubber mallet and threw it down the stairs.  It seems to run smooth except that I'm not getting any audio and the little light doesn't blink when I clear a pattern.  W-T-F-!

Sounds like it needs a checkup at the Dr's...

Were you swapping cables while it was on? Apparently this can zap the shit out of it.

i have the same with mini...maybe it has to do with your probs aswell.

I have a really badly modded tr808 (well the looks and sounds are fine)
They completly ripped out the DINSYC port (labeled with a DYMO

@septic: yours was obviously modded by some idiot who didn't know what he was doing, and either connected something wrong or damaged the pcb creating a cold solder joint..

@malleus: no audio from all outs.. are you getting anything from the trigger outs? seems like its something with the internal mixer section. i dont know how the signal path runs inside an 808, but obviously sounds go to a central mixer point and then either to the individual outs or the mixed out. otherwise you couldn't loose everything.. try to find this area on the schematics, then start resoldering in that area..

my 909 did the opposite, sounds were okay but the sequencer was completely jammed. resoldered the sequencer board, had to give it a reset to clear out the old corrupt data, and it worked flawlessly again..

my 808 also has a shitty mod job with midi ports on the side.  however, mine works fine in normal operation but doesn't trigger all notes through midi.  i don't think this is the problem as this unit has worked well for the past eight years.

i will open it up tonight and see if any connections are loose.  it seems strange to me that all audios would suddenly disappear at once.  i haven't checked the trig outs, yet.

plikestechno: i dont like the sound of that.. got any additional information?

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

@rude it was mutalited and raped hard for that mod yes, luckily i got this unit for a good price, and apart that I may not touch that button, it works good in sounds and snappyness etc, and since i only prog my beats from logic it wasnt that much of a issue. But you're right. The modder should receive lifesentence! hehe

No getting any output from the triggers, either.

How does one go about getting inside an 808?  There's lots of screws and I'd assume that not all of them are keeping it shut.  Any advice would be appreciated (to avoid loosening any mounted electrical boards, etc.).

808 service manual is found here:
http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/

I would start by using an ammeter to check if anything (weak signal)  is coming out. Use the test mode/reset to see if it makes any difference.  I don't think there is much you can do beyond that. Weird LEDs patterns are not a good sign though.

so the sequencer light doesn't blink when you stop it, but when you start, the sequencer does run? does it go through all the steps?
normally the light stays on like that when its in external sync mode..

first thing i'd suspect though is your midi modification, especially the way you describe it. could be anything, from something coming loose to something finally blowing out because of a bad modification.

you get into the 808 from the back, take the back panel off and then you can get inside..

16 (edited by malleus maleficarum 2010-02-12 17:51:28)

The sequencer light thing is not a problem.  I was analyzing it in the light and was not able to see it flashing.  (My studio is usually dark.) 

I opened it up and didn't find any loose connections.  (I did find out that my MIDI mod is an old 1990 Kenton retrofit.)  Is there some sort of voice mechanism that could be bad?