Topic: VJ software question

For a little experiment I need a program in which you can trigger different video signals or streams with midi. It has to be very quick (so instant triggering in less than 0,1 sec) and for the mac. A demo version or something would be prefferd since I just want to test some things...
Anybody knows anything that comes to mind? I'm trying resolume now but it seems to slow for the things I have in mind.

Re: VJ software question

How about this one?
http://www.modul8.ch/

3 (edited by baz 2010-02-07 14:43:30)

looks good, i'll give it a try smile

*edit: hmmmm, tried it but it confuses the hell out of me: to much jumping an bumping, not enough control....

be shure to have some hassle with this, I'm working on something like it in pc enviroment,
and you'll probably need to try out a lot of different codecs for a very gooid response (and a strong machine).

I don't know this software at all but in general the more layers of video you use, and the longer the files are, the more depeneded you get on filesize and hardware for fluidness. Try a light(er) codec than the one you're using now, like H264 or photo jpeg. And if you can, it is generally better to not run media files from your system disc but from a fast(er), dedicated media disc.

good idea brain
the files I want to use are not big at all, they will be very small and simple. I only would like to use 3 levels of video with video's of no more than 1 sec or so for now... so there should be something... gonna have a look with my friend pixelshift (http://www.pixelshift.eu/) he says he has a solution...

7 (edited by schmoltz 2010-02-08 14:52:12)

yeah, apart from a suitably fast computer with good non-mobile videocard, fast HD etc, how fast the clips respond will depend on codecs, filesizes, how many video clips are used at the same time, effects used in real time. quite a lot to fiddle with. I'm sure you could achieve all of that with resolume and a lot of optimization too. to optimize the video clips you have, I would re-render them in virtualdub or what have you to the resoltuion I prefer/can afford on my setup, kodec recommended with the app I use (resolume etc.), fps, set keyframe to every frame if reversing/scratching of clips is involved. any basic video correction effects like levels, stauration, hue adjustment etc are better applied to video clips on this stage as well, than using them in the vj app maxing out the video memory.

of course the quickest response you would have triggering flash clips instead of .avi and .mov. Depending on the nature ofthe visuals you want, you could also consider that. apprently in resolume you could do live visualisations of music by mapping sound frequences or midi to flashclip's parameters. never tried it out myself though, and it was a while ago that I last used resolume, so don't take my word for it.

edit: spelling

map midi to flash parameters, that sounds very interesting! I'll have a look at that smile

9 (edited by SDF-1 2010-02-09 02:34:12)

Resolume supports flash clips I'm pretty sure.

Really sounds like u want something stripped back, Resolume's a bit of an overkill app for playing a few clips..

I know of a few flash-specific apps for PC environs, but I'm not clued into Mac compatible ones. Problem always goes down to usability though, some of the stripped back applications are fast, but also light on user-friendliness.

Anyway, as schmolz and chinetti said, codecs are important. If you keep down the Resolume path, they have a custom codec which is supposed to run super quick, check their support pages for details. Otherwise motion jpeg is generally a safe bet, cos you defintely want a non-compressed format.

No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.

I'm thinking of using Max MSP now, sounds like something that would do what I want...

i used max/msp for some stuff like that in college, i want to purchase to expand on some ideas.