Re: Updating the forum

i wonder if vimeo embedding works too

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/7722723[/vimeo]

^^ not in ff 3.5

cuties don't exert

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/124112/#p124112

look here, maybe you can manage to start youtube links working

Die Invasion der Kybernauten hat Europa erreicht.

103 (edited by zora 2010-02-20 16:10:27)

.."this world`s a bubble"..

the bbcode menu is brilliant!

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=3016&p=1
Berkan Gulen topic has been destroyed by the transfer sad caused by umlauts i guess

lärm macht spass!

all i know is i'm reading the forum a lot less as it looks terrible compared to the former version. posting is even less with that security shit..

edit: at least the last seems to be solved now..

rude66 wrote:

all i know is i'm reading the forum a lot less as it looks terrible compared to the former version. posting is even less with that security shit..

edit: at least the last seems to be solved now..

yo rude, what looks terrible compared to the old version?
the blue text or something? because the general interface is kinda the same if you have the r4r theme selected.
anyway please post a list or something of stuff that should be better the ill try to make adjustments. the r4r theme is gonna be available in the 'old' yellow theme as well next week when i get back from NY.

greetz,
Jonathan

Yeah, the r4r theme looks really good, other ones are ugly though... And I'm looking forward to yellow r4r theme, that should pretty much sum it up regarding the design.

okay, i'll be very honest, and we'll do a group hug together afterwards. but we had a pretty much perfectly functioning forum that was updated obviously without doing any research into what these updates can or can't do (loosing posts, half the new functions not working, etc), without consulting anyone else here (moderators, etc), and even without notifying the users. as a result a lot of posts are gone and there are a heap of problems you, i admit, solved well so far. i hope its a lesson for the future to not just do unproperly researched updates on your own. also dont update unless you have actual time to act quickly if things are not okay, because obviously it will never be perfect the first time.

if i see the forum 5 or 6 times and every time sonething else is wrong or not working, the 7th time i'll do something else.
the blue text is a pain to read, and the yellow theme has black letters on a dark grey background which is unreadable. also the bold letters for new subjects were a good way of seeing what is new in a quick glance, that seems to be gone too. somehow much easier then the squares. there are also much less subjects under each other on a screen, is the spacing bigger between subjects or something? and a lot of times the first time i open the forum in my browser (firefox 3.5.8) itr looks weird, almost like in text mode..letters way too big, in orange.. then if i re-open its back to normal.

ugh, and that security token shit is still there..

rant mode off, now lets hug.. big_smile

Time for a hug!
Just got back from New York. But you're right. Things got messed up, but because of firefox crashing during db-update. Anyway, should have made proper backup before doing such an update. I'm going to do my best to make the forum run smoothly again altho as far as im concerned most of the stuff runs flawless. At least on every computer I've used. When I got the r4r-theme the way I want it I can easily make different colorschemes of the r4r theme. Also I will check for the youtube post as that is pretty annoying right now.

ytz wrote:

i wonder if vimeo embedding works too

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/7722723[/vimeo]

^^ not in ff 3.5

Stentec, don't you think that after a month of scatered links, its about fucking time all the youtube and other video embedding should be fixed? It's still shit (meaning it doesnt work) and have a hard time understanding why you dont seem to be bothered at all by that. A lot of vids are being posted on this forum, so set the standard back to what it once was. Now its just ridiculous..

It just is..

orly

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

orly

So you agree there shouldn't be any major problems anymore?

It just is..

Clockwork wrote:

Stentec, don't you think that after a month of scatered links, its about fucking time all the youtube and other video embedding should be fixed? It's still shit (meaning it doesnt work) and have a hard time understanding why you dont seem to be bothered at all by that.

how much money do you subscribe to this forum?
i agree the video stuff is annoying but stentec keeps this place ticking over for free. well for us, not for him as he has to donate his own time etc

i don't know him personally but maybe he's got a woman, a job and a life outside of here?
is this what gives you a hard time understanding why he doesn't seem to be bothered at all?

keep hackney crap

true that. ask not what your forum can do for you. this is R4R after all.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/WHATHAPPENED_photo/Capture-2.png

anybody else get this?

cuties don't exert

@Stentec  i reckon its about time i said huge thanks for all your work, i love the forum. and, i'm very very grateful to all you robots for sharing smile  smile  smile

oh and the mercury is ace, much easier to read for longer  big_smile

byron wrote:

i agree the video stuff is annoying but stentec keeps this place ticking over for free. well for us, not for him as he has to donate his own time etc

i don't know him personally but maybe he's got a woman, a job and a life outside of here?
is this what gives you a hard time understanding why he doesn't seem to be bothered at all?

Ok Byron, my flame style was unnecessary and not by any means personal. Of course I do realize that this community wouldn't even excist without the hard backstage labour of mr. Stentec. And yeah, I'm just a tiny poster and probably not in the position to use this tone of voice to express a certain feeling of annoyance. But still, I feel that in any music community, video content has a major role in all discussions, sharing and discovering old en new sounds. Like everybody here, I just like to see everything go well with this great forum. Technical matters can always occur. No prob, but when things keep hanging like this for weeks and weeks, patience can be a bitch..

It just is..

I could have put hours in figuring out how to implement that video-embed after it didn't work after a few tries.
My knowledge of php is close to nothing and I can't bother to put a lot of work in learning that stuff for a free forum.
After all I have busy life with school, my own company, a girlfriend and my passion for music. Also take into account that after having a message on the frontpage for 9 days only ONE forumuser offered help with the video-embed. Eventually I'm sure it will work but I don't know when.

Thanx for the feedback Stentec, much appreciated. Let's hope a user with the php-skills can help you out soon..

It just is..

can't we just go back to the way it was?

ah well.

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:

can't we just go back to the way it was?

ah well.

yeah, well after all that's not a bad idea but I don't think there's an easy way back at this point.
because this version of the forum is the newest so it can last for the next few years. in the coming months there are problaby be new official features available that will be easy to install.

coolex

cuties don't exert

Youtube links work. Big thanx for Dez for helping out on this one!
Just select the youtube url and click on the [youtube] button to make it work!

It should look  like this in your post:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzTrO5RnWA[/youtube]

or like this, both work

[youtube][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzTrO5RnWA[/url][/youtube]

Greetz,
Jonathan

125 (edited by zora 2010-03-24 17:16:52)

byron wrote:

yeah, i think we tend to forget that sometimes.
when i remember the night the cbs died.. that was, i dunno.. that was just awful. you took the initiative and gave us shelter, spend time and effort since then, now this is our home.
yes, the update didnt go too smooth and still is a bit annoying here and there, ok. but im sure it was made with the best intentions wink
be assured your dedication is much appreciated, stentec. seriously, thank you!!

.."this world`s a bubble"..