Topic: Pro~One or Mono/Poly?

If you had to choose just one which would it be? 

I'm having some serious lust for a Korg Mono/Poly lately.  Cost aside, my issue with this is that the only way I could afford to get one would be to part with my Pro~One.  Not sure I want to do that, and I don't know anyone around here with a Mono/Poly I could try out to be sure. 

Are these synths so similar that I'm just wasting my time/money?  The main draw of the Korg for me at the moment are the things absent from the Pro~One - the weird arpeggiator mode, and the paraphony (I like paraphonic synths!), but I suspect it would settle into a similar role to the Pro~One's - mostly bass and fx.

2 (edited by computerdisco 2010-03-03 21:17:45)

Re: Pro~One or Mono/Poly?

Wow thats a choice... They are very different beasts, the pro one is much more aggressive and straight to the point. Its that american muscle synth sound! The Mono/poly is as Smackos describes it "Exotic", Really quite powerful and its x-mod is awsome.  but the Osc's are a lot thinner and in poly mode can sound underwhelming (apart from the osc step through like a 4 bit mini sequencer, truly fantastic). Takes a lot more effort to make the mono sit but I love it, as a mono its Beeeeeg! 4 osc = Fun.
Hmmmm i'd want both.. (and do I only have the Korg)

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

i was keen on a m/p for a while but for space reasons never committed at the time. they seem to have shot up in price now, similar to the pro1.  I couldn't imagine getting rid of my pro1 as even though it takes a bit of work, its sounds really work for me and is a part of my workflow.  I would say go for the change if you don't feel so attached to the pro1 or rely on it for particular tasks.

I've had both and the only one I miss is the mono/poly.  I agree with computer disco, stepping through the oscillators is great.  Can't you wait and save for the mono and keep the pro-one?

I'd never sell a piece of equipment that I like to buy something else.
Did it and always regret it. Nowadays I just save untill I have enough money. Takes a while sometimes.

I'd go with the Mono/Poly any day (have both).

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

I would get a micromoog  roll

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Sure I'd love to just have both, but space is also a concern.  I guess I could keep one or the other off to the side, but I don't feel like my musical output justifies having synths in reserve like that, especially now that I have my first child on the way.  Having money tied up in synths that are used infrequently isn't really an option anymore.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I appreciate the input.  I'll stick with the Pro~One for now, unless a good deal on a Mono/Poly comes my way.

mono-poly wrote:

I would get a micromoog

Heh.  Not the answer I expected from you.

PRO One OFC

Both.

I currently own a Pro One and it's great. Would like a Mono/Poly too but at this stage I think I own too many synths.

i haven't used a pro-one, but i have had a m/p for over 17 years. might not have the most powerfull osc's but surely it's a verstile instrument, and can do alot more than your basic mono synth. i'm using it with a kenton pro solo, and it works fantasticly. with aux controlling the filter, so when you play it with another keyboard it's like having velocity sensitivity. other than that, there's quite a few tricks you can do to get crazy stuff. planning to get me that midi-kit, so that in can use it in poly mode. if i would swap my mp/ to a pro-one, i would probably regret it. eventho a pro-one might be better for more raw in-yer-face basslines, i think i would miss the m/p for the things it does, and there are things only a m/p can do (not counting big ass modulars).

ps. just posted a last ninja remix that is made entirely with a m/p. go check it out in the track dump section of this forum smile

Haha crc that Last Ninja remix is great.  Good M/P demo too, thanks.

we got both and they are so differents...
Anyway I prefer the Sequential one!

Broken Pots Hunter

nah.. i'd never sell my mono/poly for a pro one. a pro one is a nice synth for sure, but there are others that can do what it does. the mono/poly is unique in what it can do, there's no other synth on the market that has the possibilities and can sound like a mono/poly. and especially with the midi kit, now it can unveil its polyphonic possibilities as well..
it can sound fat too, only weak thing is its filter that could sound better. but apart from basslines, i'd say the mono/poly wins over the pro one in most types of sounds..

I had a Pro-One for a few years, and used it a lot, It's quite versatile, but I ended up selling it because it sounded to harsh for what I now do, but also because the build quality is not so great, and if you have the membrane keys like I did, it's a serious issue.
I ended up using it strictly with midi-cv, and couldn't use two of its most unique features (arp/seq).

It's certainly one of the most powerful mono ever produced, but it has a lot of bad sides too.

The mono/poly is a great concept, very unique and massive sounding, I had the chance to buy one not long ago, in great shape, but I didn't take it.  It had a vibe I didn't really like.  It's a very personal thing, and I'm quite picky with senseless things like color etc.
The filter and the envelopes are not so great iirc, especially compared to a pro-one.

If I really had to choose, I would choose neither sad

TONY COPS wrote:

if you have the membrane keys like I did, it's a serious issue.
I ended up using it strictly with midi-cv, and couldn't use two of its most unique features (arp/seq).

I'm lucky enough to have a recently serviced j-wire version so the keyboard on mine works great.  The sequencer is a big part of that synth for me so if I couldn't use it I probably wouldn't keep it either.

Wifey has talked me out of the M/P for now.  She actually told me to just get it and somehow that resulted in me convincing myself NOT to get it.  Damn she's good.   smile

17 (edited by crc 2010-03-05 23:04:43)

ok your wife talked you over it, but still.. i think this is one of the best demo videos on youtube of the korg mono/poly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvSBIyb9AA

anybody an idea what a monopoly is worth these days (in euros)?

TB or not TB

COCK.... Now i want one....

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Freek wrote:

I think around 700 - 900.

The video of AnalogAudio1 is dope, he's makes great clips. check also his mircomoog, polysix an odyssey videos ao

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

GM wrote:
Freek wrote:

I think around 700 - 900.

That's too much. I saw one for about 590€ on ebay e few months ago.

good luck finding one so cheap

700-900e is todays price yeah 590 is just lucky...
Cant make a average price just out of one that went cheap, there will also be some sold for 1000+

800-900e is the current average imo

24 (edited by automatique 2010-03-06 18:54:01)

Okay i saw another one on eBay also a few months ago which went for 790€. But I saw one in a local ad for 660€ also. So the more people pay these high prices average prices will rise. It's not about supply and demand - it's about fancyness of 'cool' vintage instruments and money. SH-101s are now more expensive in germany than they cost back in the days new in the stores...  Or look at JUNO-60s and TR-707 - saw some 60s for 700€ to 800€ in average condition (nothing special like mint or midi equiped) in a time they went for 450€ to 550€ too and there were also 707s for 400 Euros in a time a bought mine for 180 Euros. So don't feed the hype!

edit: just checked eBay backward search: for example: JUNO-60 on 28th febr. for 480€ and one for 880€ on 1st of march. Insane! Korg Mono/Poly freshly serviced with chd midi kit for 888 Euro one week auction - not sold. Because it's too much! And I can see 4 M/Ps sold in the last two weeks in Canada and the USA for around 670-680 convertet in Euro. (I know thats no option because of taxes and shipping fees if you live in europe)