Topic: MACKIE.32.8.2 - Is it as crap as everyone says?

I'm contemplating getting a Mackie 32.8.2.  Is it as bad as everyone on gearslutz makes out?  I'm only going to use it for keyboards/drum machines so I'm not bothered about mic pre-amps but if I do get the mackie I'll also need to buy an 8 channel audio interface as I'm currently using the yamaha N12.  If I get the mackie I'll need to get rid of the sofa out of my studio which will mean the dog hasn't got anywhere to sleep when she's in there with me.

Are there any other 32 channel mixers that are around £1000 second hand that are worth looking at?

Re: MACKIE.32.8.2 - Is it as crap as everyone says?

do your dog and ears a favor and dont go Mackie. I once had a 1604 and didnt liked it: weak EQ's and leaking all over..

TB or not TB

Like i've said a few times get a Sony desk.
Best bang for the buck you can get them real cheap and most off them were ovr 10K new.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

4 (edited by roginator 2010-03-18 12:25:54)

when mackie was HIT

i decided to buy Studiomaster p7 32 ch desk.... and still its in my head one of best small consoles ever made!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Studiomaster-P7-16-8-2_W0QQitemZ170443095977QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100208?IMSfp=TL100208173003r17044#ht_500wt_1182

there was one on ebay but only 16 ch...

it have very good EQ, standard 80s preamps and big headroom!!!! fat sound!!!!!

6 aux and dual inline!!!!

pobbably would eat mackie ..but studiomaster at that time was allmost closed company so marketing was bad and mackie put all an marketing and won!!!

MACKIE = CRAP!!!!

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

Get any other cheap console.... I have a Tascam M2600 which is not great but it beats a Crackie any day. I see Soundcraft Spirits popping up for way less then 1000£ here in Denmark, and they are also decent consoles.
My point is, look around some more. A 15-20 year old well kept quality console from one of the better brands is often a much better buy then a 10 year old low budget console.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

about the studiomasters.. i ahve studiomaster mixdown 16-4-8 and im happy with it.. though i guess it should be recapped and cleaned sometime, it's really old like from 82 or something

also Mackie™  aftersale service blows

Mackie = Crap. 

Looks like it's back to the drawing board and the dog can sleep soundly for a while longer.

Thanks for the advice.

9 (edited by Erroraudio 2010-03-18 17:22:50)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/aug94/tascamm2600.html

I bought one of these for less than 800£. Its no Sony or MCI so if you get lucky buy one of those cheap. But remember cheap old pro consoles are usually cheap for a reason, whereas a Tascam or Allen&Heath that has been sitting well cared for in som accountants home studio is usually mint. This being said a console like the M-2600 is harder to service than a fully modular pro console.

There is also the dutch build DR consoles which have been sitting in many midrange studios. They are nice consoles if you find one in good shape. But they do have a sound to them, so that boils down to taste. Rude has one and is a fan of these if I remember correctly.

Pros/Cons all the way.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

i'm not the only d&r user. herr chinetti uses one, sendex,  i remember cosmic force having a big one too..and probably others. they have the west coast sound.. big_smile

serious, dont buy mackie.

and erroraudio: a lot of times big consoles are going cheap not because oif their condition, but because the studio owning them want to go digital, or dont use them anymore because all the clients demand protools. i've said this for years: these times are for mixers and recorders what '-85-'88 was for analogue synths. the time people put this stuff in the garbage, only to realize later what they miss with all their digital trash...

What about Soundcraft Ghost LE - quite a few second hand in SOS in the UK

i own a mackie 1604 and kinda like it. eq isnt the max and opamps arent either but its a nice mixer for the money.
its funny al the soundtechs i speak about it say its a good choice (best in its price range) they say most say there better than the soundcraft k1's for example. only on synthfora i hear the real negative feedback..

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

From what I heard the Ghost is a great desk, but Erik vs Broek who had one never seemed to stop complain about how badly build and full of malfunctions his Ghost was. To make matters worse, he found the support to be misarable at best. Quite different than from smaller brands like D&R, who even have a good legacy support.
As for Mackie, I hear a lot of people complain about their dull sound and lack of headroom, also outside the synth community. Mackies aren't absolute crap, they're just not exciting. Bookkeepers will love them smile But for the money you spend on a new Mackie you can get a much better sounding console if you can live with the fact that it might need some extra attention from time to time.

btw, I am not hating Mackie. I was perfectly fine spending my boss's money on one when we needed a simple yet reliable mixer for hooking up some analog sources. I just think they sound too boring for me to use in my home studio.

I've never seen a D&R mixer for sale in the UK so i'm pretty much stuck with what comes up for sale over here. 

Reliability is a big issue.  I don't mind taking a synth over to a tech every now and then but having to unplug a heavy mixer and transport it around London is not my idea of fun.

16 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-03-18 22:17:20)

Well in case you get something old, get something modular. The big benefit is that you can have whatever faulty channel serviced without dragging your mixer across town, and you can even continue using the console (unless it's the master module that's busted:D). Heck, since they are so easily accessible, you might even give it a try to repair it yourself.
I am the last to say you should get a D&R, I just use it as an example cause it's what I've been using myself for years. I'm quite happy with mine and I know Rude and Cosmic Force are fond theirs, but I also like the old Sony at my job or the Tascam at Danny's studio. They all sound different and have their own quirks, but you'll be amazed with how much more musical they sound compared to a Mackie.

New mixers are more reliable, but there will as well come a time that even those will need service. But yeah, Mackies are reliable, at least I think they are.

well, were comparing desks that are close to 30 years old to brand new ones. i highly doubt that in 20 years my close to 10 year old mackie onyx (my live mixer) will still be working. its already showing signs of needing attention.. and since i can compare both directly here at home,. i did. and of course ive tested many small mixers for the magazine i write for. the small ones are not bad by themselves and if you just need something to amplify your sounds. but oif you want something that adds, that makes a good sounding production sound better and more professional, those small mixers and cheap brands dont do that. the difference of an 808 through my d&r or through my mackie is amazing.

if youre in the uk, sell your soul to the devil and buy a toft atb. that was the best sounding mixer i ever had here, and its brand new. of course its also more expensive..

Toft ATB 32 @ £6,799.00 looks very nice but out of my league financially.  I think it's time to start saving for something worth having and forget about the Mackie.

I think a 1000 pound budget will get you far on the 2nd hand market. I bought my Dayner for 600 total, which includes spare parts, psu and some stuff I needed to repair it. Maybe I was lucky, but your budget should really be suffice.

20 (edited by mono-poly 2010-03-19 13:54:16)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-MXP-390-20CH … 45f193ad25

I bet you can grab this one below 500 bucks.
Aux don't have returns i think sou you need some input channels for that.

But basicly you'll get an updated MCI console wink

-edit- i spot some returns on the back -edit-

I think Mackies get a bit of a hard time on this forum. DMX Krew recorded all his stuff using a Mackie CR1604 and his records sound great. Obviously there are better desks out there, but I wouldn't consider them the worst of the worst.

I own a Mackie 1402VLZ Pro, a bit noisy but not terrible. Legowelt used my one a few times when he played live in Dublin for the Electric City guys. (and yes, live use vs studio use are two different things)

@mono.  Thanks.  If it was in the UK I'd put in a bid but I'd want to be able to collect it in person and see it all working before I paid in full.  E-Bay disputes are a pain in the arse and there are a lot of lies and half truths on ebay descriptions.

skkatter wrote:

I think Mackies get a bit of a hard time on this forum. DMX Krew recorded all his stuff using a Mackie CR1604 and his records sound great. Obviously there are better desks out there, but I wouldn't consider them the worst of the worst.

I own a Mackie 1402VLZ Pro, a bit noisy but not terrible. Legowelt used my one a few times when he played live in Dublin for the Electric City guys. (and yes, live use vs studio use are two different things)

no not the worst, there is still Behringer afterall

24 (edited by mono-poly 2010-03-20 10:50:54)

Koova, it's in Germany but what i get from the description it works without a fault and no noise.
And he uses paypal as payment option which kinda gives you protection that the desk should be as he did mention int he auctiion.

25 (edited by crc 2010-03-20 17:38:49)

i have a extremely small mixer, since i currently don't need a big one. it's a tapco mix.60.
as tapco is also a company of mackie i think it counts as one. i think the two op-amps sound good. the eq is ok, but nothing special. i haven't used it to sum up mixes. hmm lost my thought and point here ... but it cost me like something like 70 euro from the musicshop that's under my appartment (handy if you are missing some cables, but quite expensive), and i think it was well worth the money. like i said, surprisingly good op-amps for such a small mixer.

edit: oh and op-apms are just as important for synths as they are for any other type of instrument!