Topic: New Korg Analog Synth

It's new from Korg, it's real analog, and it....looks an awful lot like a Stylophone.  (shrug)

http://www.production-room.com/korg/korg-monotron/

http://www.production-room.com/gfx/products/medium/monotron.jpg

Re: New Korg Analog Synth

looks ripe for modifications and modularization.

Monkey see, monkey do.

What no HP option like the MSs?

Boo.

I am betting it is not a true Analog synth. The kind that requires Dual Transistor Matching for good tuning. But then again maybe its all random SMD transistors not in tune explaining the cheap price.

Planet of Cevo

Pretty cool that Korg is making an analogue again. They're much more innovative and progressive than Roland etc. Who knows could be the first in a line of new Korg analogues. I would personally like a poly-phonic MS20 wink

Blue Maquina wrote:

I am betting it is not a true Analog synth. The kind that requires Dual Transistor Matching for good tuning. But then again maybe its all random SMD transistors not in tune explaining the cheap price.

????!?!?!?????

Well, it's heartening to see your absolute lack of electronics knowledge hasn't stopped you from wanting to jump in with a completely irrelevant opinion about electronics again.

Who knows, if you keep on trying, you might eventually say something that makes sense (1000 monkeys at 1000 typewriters style)

but not today, unfortunately...

as for the little korg. it looks like they had a look at that little gakken analogue synth and figured they could have a go at doing something similar...

good on them! nice to see one of the big manufacturers trying something - even if it is very small.

a waste of earths natural sources this :0

It doesn't surprise me if it got ms serie stuff.
Not rocket sience at all but the cheapest and most simple designs.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

cool little thing for the kids!

Good point hans!  I have my first child on the way as well.  Hmmm.

holy crap - it's microscopic!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0FT8lXGSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNNb18aFSQ4

not so sure about the sound in these youtube movies. but it's just mobile phone video I guess. going to have to hear one in person. filter input is a nice touch.

at least postage from japan will be cheap.

I think its awesome. Instant wacked out lfo and filter effects for your sets. Plus with the filter input. For the price of a night out no less...

I want

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

no-fi wrote:

as for the little korg. it looks like they had a look at that little gakken analogue synth and figured they could have a go at doing something similar...

good on them! nice to see one of the big manufacturers trying something - even if it is very small.

it's reminded me the gakken as well.
they deserve some point for trying

i want too. i think the ext filtering and crazy lfo stuff is what i would use it most for.
ms20 filter in such a small package and cheap prize (shame no HP tho).
would be a cool birthday present wink

no-fi wrote:
Blue Maquina wrote:

????!?!?!?????

Well, it's heartening to see your absolute lack of electronics knowledge hasn't stopped you from wanting to jump in with a completely irrelevant opinion about electronics again.

Who knows, if you keep on trying, you might eventually say something that makes sense (1000 monkeys at 1000 typewriters style)

but not today, unfortunately...

Haha. What I meant to say I doubt someone is tuning each and every one of them as most big companies hate that. You can bag on me I don't care. I am the unknown and big mystery anyhow.

Planet of Cevo

looks amazing. analogue or not, I couldn't care less - what I really like is small, easy to use and the feeling of an instrument rather than some soundcreation source with infinite options.  smile

ha its TINY! Looking like a fun fun thing .. count me in for one.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

i find it kinda strange that a company like korg comes with a product like this i mean...... come on.... sure it will be fun but still id expect korg to come with something more.... eeeuh... serious?

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

ProjectGenocide wrote:

i find it kinda strange that a company like korg comes with a product like this i mean...... come on.... sure it will be fun but still id expect korg to come with something more.... eeeuh... serious?

you're pretty much paraphrasing what people probably said about the 303 when it came out, and that in a very similar context wink

Discrete component count and other serializing issues (custom analog ic development is very expensive)is definetly part of the picture why you don't see all analog instruments from Korg and Roland anymore, but the bigger factor is the stiff corporate culture driven by market analysis and so on. You don't impress your boss by suggesting going back into old analog technology in this enviroment.

Maybe Gakken and Dave Smith etc are changing that though.

Monkey see, monkey do.

I remember reading an old interveiw with Bob Moog where he was talking about the early days of the Minimoog, and he said something to the tune of "...these were the days when you could put a piece of shit in a box, and if it made weird sounds people would buy it...". 

It really seems like we're back at that phase again, and this Korg Monotron is good example of that.  There's lots of little not-very-useful-but-still-fun noisemaker things on the market right now -  the Gakken, Thingamaboop, Bhudda Machine, Stylophone re-issues, etc.  I can see how Korg might want a slice of that action before it wears out (again).

score100 wrote:
ProjectGenocide wrote:

you're pretty much paraphrasing what people probably said about the 303 when it came out, and that in a very similar context wink

yeah well im not trying to take a piss on the thing i think it ll be pretty fun but still.... i expected more from korg. then again maybe this is only the start of something beautifull wink

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

maybe a MIDI-In would have been a good idea...