Topic: Retro samplers

Im in love wit old and hardware samplers

I own 7-8

post here any expirience on them..

at the moment im playing with EMAX and add one... and only "NEW" sampler i left is ASR 10R!!!!!

I would like to try TX16W for fun, and get old casio FZ10M ... owned it in 90s and THAT WAS GREAT SAMPLER !!!!

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

2 (edited by Kenzaburo 2010-03-26 11:24:21)

Re: Retro samplers

I have E-mu E4xt Ultra here with harddrive and everything but it's just gathering dust

ASR 10 is great, synth/sampler hybrid i would say, i have the rack and ASR-88.

I used X-7000 years ago. It's still standing around here,  is someone ins interested, broken disk-drive and all?
It's nice 12bit sound. 1MB memory or so?

CASIO RZ-1 - Work that MF. Lo-fi, bit of a one trick pony. The lack of pattern based sequencing is keeping me from really using it.

Akai MPC 2000XL - straight forward drum sampler, very functional.

4 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2010-03-26 12:08:25)

The wooliest around: the Roland MKS100 (S10 rack version) 4 seconds of sampling divided over 4 samples

http://www.keyboardmuseum.com/pic/r/rol/MKS100.gif

Sequential Prophet 2002/2000 -more of a synthesizer with build in waveforms, the grungiest analog filters and VCA and also arpeggiator...I dunno why I sold it sad

AKAI S900 /& MPC60 I also sold those dunno why...I really liked that MPC60 way more then 2000XL

I still want a S612 with the diskette station

Wasnt there an AKAI S700 or S712 something like that? An updated S612?

yeah the old samplers are great used to own an prophet 2000 crazy machine
sampler with a arpegiator how cool is that sold it cause of its size would like to get back a p2002 one day

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Squadra Smackos wrote:

The x-7000 is the keyboard version of that s-700, you want?
Kom maar halen hoor smile

I have a friend with a huge pile off akai's
The one's with the filter knob in front.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

hehe

I have ASR 10R and soon gonna pick up S750 smile

of old ones

EII
EIII
Emax rack SE HD
SP12
ADD one with ADD Drive
PPG with WTB

still im bit crazy about S550 and casio !!! dunno why!!!

I found that s50, s330, s550 serie better for drums than ANY AKAI!!!!

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

Ensoniq EPS! 

I had one with 4x memory expander (1Mb I think?) and the output expander.  It was pretty powerful for what it was.  I remember "upgrading" to an E-mu ESi-32 and feeling like I made a big mistake.

8-part multitimbral with up to 20 (I think) voice polyphony.  Lots of cool layering and looping functions.  Nice grungy sound, useful sequencer.  Relatively easy to use as well.  Non-resonant filters and no effects, but that's not the end of the world.

for a long period we used the akai s900 with trigger-board. Excellent for fat lo-fi drum(loop)s and voice samples. Instant fun while triggering with the tr606, who needs midi?! ;-)

and sp1200 ofcourse!

TB or not TB

eps16plus and sp12 is my lethal combination

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

jayoverdose wrote:

eps16plus and sp12 is my lethal combination

YES.  That sounds like a match made in sampler heaven.

SP-1200 + EPSm here, great combo !

Used to have a TX16W but even with typhoon OS it was too cumbersome and the sound wasn't special anyway.

i never tested EPS or EPS 16 vs ASR 10

how big are sound differences..I know specs of all of em!!

agree on TX16w being not that great...kinda cool, but even with typhoon, there's much better samplers. Sold the one I had.

I really love my emax rack. can't believe they sell so cheap nowdays, for what they do and how they sound.

I have a mirage rack which is really nice sounding too, but damn that's one seriously cramped OS. Pretty unusable, but when you do bother it really sounds great...

The EPS is awesome. I've been on the lookout for an EPS-m for years.

16 (edited by jayoverdose 2010-03-26 16:29:13)

roginator wrote:

the eps is a lot warmer and fuller sounding.

its like eazy e's line in eazy duz it, he shot pluh then i shot kaboom bang, as you can see i cold smoked his ass.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

From what I remember of the EPS sound, sounds with lots of low end (808 kicks, etc) always had a light sprinkling of digital noise to them, especially noticable as the sound decays.  I'm pretty sure this is due to the lower bit-depth of the EPS (13-bit vs 16-bit).  I don't remember encoutering this with the EPS 16+. 

If I wanted a "character" sampler these days, the EPS would be it.

Roland S-10 with the plastic carrying case.  Wish I'd kept it
Roland S-760 - very smooth sounding but a pain to edit due to the small screen and over sensitive push/scroll button, chucked it in a skip.
Akai S3000.

jayoverdose wrote:
roginator wrote:

the eps is a lot warmer and fuller sounding.

its like eazy e's line in eazy duz it, he shot pluh then i shot kaboom bang, as you can see i cold smoked his ass.

'because I'm a gangster having fun'  cool

TB or not TB

my first sampler was a casio sk1.. big_smile
then i bought an ensoniq mirage. 8 bit, mono out, hexadecimal counting.. great fun..
next came the tx16w. liked it, apart from the edit buffer, you really had to remember copying sounds from the buffer to the memory and then the disk otherwise you'd save an empty patch on disk. this and the mirage are all over my first bunker records.
then i bought an emax II, great machine but it broke, and i could trade it in for an asi-32. still have that, though i don't do much with it...

it would be great if some of the old samplers could be upgraded to accept wavs and have usb or something..

@rude, is that what you used to sample those death race 2000 samples with?  big_smile

my first sampler was a yamaha SU-10 that my friend let me borrow. it's very lo-fi sounding and always has reviews about how dirty and distorted it sounds which is of course what i loved about it.

worship the potentiometer.

My first was Mirage DSK 8 big_smile

I loved it for years .. it sound great but editing is limited..I consider it more like synth than sampler heheheh

I would rather amputate a leg than let go of my Emax II keyboard.

yeah, at the time my mirage was the only sampler i had (and an atari, an ms10, poly 61 and dx-100) so i didn't know any better.. then i got the TX which had an actual display! the luxury.. big_smile

those death race samples must have come from the TX, because there's no way the mirage could do such long samples, heh heh..

raoul wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:

The x-7000 is the keyboard version of that s-700, you want?
Kom maar halen hoor smile

I read somewhere it retains the samples in memory when you turn it off? Thats pretty cool? And does it operate without the diskdrive (do you need to load a system disk or anything?)