1 (edited by kuczera 2010-03-28 09:04:32)

Topic: Hart voor Detroit

I don't get it, why doesn't anybody on this forum ever speak,talk, cherish the new school Detroit artist?

Artist like Omar S., Moodymann, Theo Parrish, M. Pittman, Kyle Hall ( wow what a talent ) and many many others

Man they make such incredible music nowadays and they keep on growing by the week ( esp. Omar S. )  the man who keeps on pushing does 707 buttons,when he gets out of bed, way before he combs his hair. big_smile

i was talking to Zubeldia the other day and he did say he loved Chicago but did not like Detroit,well that got my head shaking for a minute or 2

i just don't understand.. if you love house music you just can't get around Detroit anymore.. ( and i'm not even talking about Electro )

well me and my buddy Nowy keep on spinning that shit until we die.. no mather what..

Vlam Aan

Re: Hart voor Detroit

yea totally agree.
also detroit hip hop is some of the freshest too right now.
kyle hall record on hyperdub is fantastic i think,
but as for new records most i buy are from detroit, theyre still able to push a sound without sounding superficial.
Don't forget Andrés either Kuczera

I don't know marco, I'm a bit like zubeldia on this one. Sure there are similarities and connections, but still, if you get deep into chicago with it's very peculiar sound and feel, very sexy and very raw, but still kind of soft with a disco touch to it, it's hard for me as well to get to love detroit productions which are very strong and techno driven. I still do love some of them though, and of course, collecting enough genres I tend to avoid to look further into detroit as to prevent me to get into another vast arena, thus wasting even more money than what I actually already do.

4 (edited by black shape 2010-03-28 11:24:57)

probably the reason its not on here much is because people are too focused on style than good music,(sorry guys)
thats why people think andy romano record is good. style over substance. (feel free to counter with 'i just like it, its just my opinion')
then people think of the style of detroit house and ignore it, prolly from 94 or something
i cant see any other reason why you would like chicago but not detroit stuff.

or maybe its too black?

really nothing new in ideas here, but shit like this will get me every time
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4mXP8PcVk[/youtube]

5 (edited by kuczera 2010-03-28 11:24:27)

@ most complicated you're right about that's it's more techno like and doesn't have the disco influences ( well most stuff )
maybe because me having a techno background and my love for electro keeps me hooked on that music and makes my wallet empty.. big_smile

i just like that rawness

Vlam Aan

black shape wrote:

probably the reason its not on here much is because people are too focused on style than good music

could be, i'm a music lover not a style lover

Vlam Aan

black shape wrote:

probably the reason its not on here much is because people are too focused on style than good music,(sorry guys)
thats why people think andy romano record is good. style over substance. (feel free to counter with 'i just like it, its just my opinion')

Man, let it go.
I really wish that you and the other two would just admit that you don't like English people and then we can move on.

What most complicated says. Wallet is not deep enough to dive in too many genres at the same time.

I really like some of the Detroit classics but Omar S. for instance is to me just crap. 50% of his productions are apparently random sequences. The stuff everybody likes so much is for me just boring middle of the road techno. More raw (lofi?) than modern european shit but that's about it. I just don't feel it.

I think the Omar S. hype is also probably because IF tends to play some of his tracks or something. All that talk of "soul" being in there to me is utter bull. Just some guy sequencing some shit in his basement.

9 (edited by Kenzaburo 2010-03-28 12:56:54)

I don't like Omar S. either, never really got it .. I think for it has to do with the fact that the production is really lo-fi (not in a good way imho).. Couple of tracks were ok for me but again the production left something to be desired (for me, your mileage may vary) But some of the new school Detroit artists are good. I also agree that most people seem to be really focused on some style and not really open to anything else, there's so much good house, etc

black shape wrote:

or maybe its too black?

that's a pretty stupid remark, sorry, I feel quite offended, I certainly would not judge things by their color. Anyway, please read my comment and you'll get a better idea of what I've said.

1 - not enough money and time (to dig every possible kind of music)
2 - too hard techno (for my taste)
3 - still love some of them

and this genre thing, well, you have to take it, genres exist, and they are there to define certain type of music, so minimal techno, dubstep, rock, reggae. I'm not into reggae for example, at all, but if I stumble upon a nice record and I feel I need to have it I'm gonna buy it, different from disco or chi which I'm actively dig for.

black shape wrote:

then people think of the style of detroit house and ignore it, prolly from 94 or something

or maybe its too black?

really nothing new in ideas here, but shit like this will get me every time
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4mXP8PcVk[/youtube]

I been into Detroit for a while now (since 1988) but to me that clip sounds like Spiller - bad filter house we've all heard 1000 times before. got nothing to do with black or white...

I like detroit techno but I'm not to keen on the whole revival of detroit techno the last two years, they can't beat the stuff from '90-'96. Also, but that's personal, I think a lot of detroit techno sounds the same, also with the old one. I hardly hear anything that is stuck in my head, it's all too forgettable because it all sounds the same, it's the same with acid house and dub techno. The music is not bad but they're all alike. I have a lot of old Carl Craig (BFC)stuff which I really love and will never sell but since the revival he released one record after the other and all are very mediocre and sometimes even crap, I haven't bought one of them. Omar S is not my taste neither but that's again personal. But there are always exceptions off course like Duplex his album on Clone a couple of years ago which was really nice. Another thing is that a lot of detroit was very slow and more for listening pleasure back in the days, if you've ever mixed BFC - Evolution you'll notice that there are only a few records that you can mix with that one because it's too slow, but that's just the point: it had soul and was made to sound good, the new skool detroit is mostly very "dj-friendly" and even loopy just because it would work on the floor which results in standard releases that are nothing more than dj tools, a good example is Kirk Degorgio, his old stuff is brilliant, but his new stuff is really mediocre and very dancefloor friendly, even loopy ---> makkelijk verteerbaar, can't say it in English.

"A Real Music Hater"

Just checked that Kyle Hall, some of that is good and well produced stuff! Nice! And the guy is so young .. Makes me depressed  big_smile

14 (edited by black shape 2010-03-28 14:27:20)

@mcr that wasnt to your post, sorry! just a general comment, and the black thing i meant as mainly its cheesey european disco music here, i'm just joking. i am definitley NOT saying your musical tastes are race related big_smile

@maiovvi i am english tongue

I'm not really that much up-to-date with recent detroit that came out, but for me my heart will never stop beating to original detroit techno. I think that's where it still all started for me, this whole unstripped and industrial feeling of futuristic and minimalistic music. And if I could mention one music style that hit the core of my personal being the most, then it would always be techno.
Old Kevin Saunderson stuff, pretty much everything by juan atkins (deespace album aaaaah), Jeff mills records and more.

I think with newer detoit stuff, Terrence Dixon is my most favored artist. I can hardly think of any other detroit producer who releases records that still sound so fresh and original - omar s, carl craig and robert hood are still part of my listening pleasure too but they don't sound that much better than other artists from europe do these day's.

haha that wallet thing is a strong issue for me too, and the reason why I'm not up-to-date anymore on recent releases. Just too much digging into other stuff, but as said my heart will always remain in detroit.  cool
I think that's the reason why I recently have the wish that clone would just dump all labels and genre's they into one crate at their shop, so I'd just buy whatever genre falls into my hand's at the day, since there's waaaaay too much good records anyway.

17 (edited by Zubeldia 2010-03-29 00:03:54)

kuczera wrote:

i was talking to Zubeldia the other day and he did say he loved Chicago but did not like Detroit,well that got my head shaking for a minute or 2

Concerning Detroit, for me it is all about certain specific elements/sounds/instruments used in music that can really put me off. I do not like (generally speaking) Detroit strings, it's "softness" and "deepness" (I really hate that word..) it's "melodies/lush pads" etc.

Only exception being stuff like Jeff Mills, Drexciya and some UR. In my head, typical detroit I do not like is stuff like C. Craig, Moodymann, Omar S. etc.. I just can't listen to a Moodymann track for more then ten seconds. A DJ3000 release, for instance, I respect him for what he does, but I can't listen to his music. Too much soul, wrong kind of atmosphere, often too slick or something

I'm just a sucker for rimshots, cowbells and whistling 303's big_smile

kuczera wrote:

i just don't understand.. if you love house music you just can't get around Detroit anymore.. ( and i'm not even talking about Electro )

luckily taste is something not ment to be 'understood', and constantly grows and changes.

score100 wrote:

haha that wallet thing is a strong issue for me too, and the reason why I'm not up-to-date anymore on recent releases. Just too much digging into other stuff, but as said my heart will always remain in detroit.  cool
I think that's the reason why I recently have the wish that clone would just dump all labels and genre's they into one crate at their shop, so I'd just buy whatever genre falls into my hand's at the day, since there's waaaaay too much good records anyway.

It's the same here, more or less, when I started collecting records I started with techno and chill out stuff, but mainly techno and even when my taste has evolved I will always cherish those records. I love the old stuff on Peacefrog, GPR or A.R.T., there's great stuff in there. And the wallet thing, well yeah, that too  big_smile

@ Zubeldia: did you check stuff like BFC - Evolution or early Kirk Degorgio? You might change your mind  wink

"A Real Music Hater"

zubeldia

wow... that is so counter-intuitive... i had no idea people didn't like detroit techno on here.

i find it pretty hard to believe someone into den haag acid/electro would have no time for omar s, moodymann, theo parrish, rick wilhite, carl craig, shake, blake baxter, etc!

for me detroit is number one

anyone heard the greg gow thing on transmat? a side quality derrick may-style business i thought

cuties don't exert

black shape wrote:

@maiovvi i am english tongue

I'll be quiet then

21 (edited by kuczera 2010-03-29 07:57:06)

ytz wrote:

zubeldia

i had no idea people didn't like detroit techno on here.

the main reason i started this topic.. ( but i was more aiming at detroit house ) well i saw some points of view now..

maar toch, i find it kind of sad that detroit lost his glance on this forum..

you just can't deny there is good music coming from the windy city, and it sure didn't lost his feel or soul( don't get me wrong on this zubeldia ).. but if you aren't feeling it.., or you aint got it, yeah what can you do?
maybe i'm just one of those last funky white europeans ( as the electrifying mojo would say )

Vlam Aan

22 (edited by black shape 2010-03-29 08:35:42)

surely saying i dont like the pads / lushness/ deepness / of detroit, then you are focusing on style, and then by saying im just a sucker for 707s and 303s or whatever, then that is just style too.
im not trying to start arguments, but that seems really really weird to buy every bunker record out, but hate the sound of new detroit stuff. i'm not criticising you for it, but why does one set of cliche sound appeal so much and another, which is not so far away in style has such a contrasting effect on you. [and plus i would say that you should avoid the cliches anyway]
its like saying, i dont like house music, unless its chicago house with a 303 and 707, well then either you dont like house or you dont like music, you like sounds.
and the criticism of omar s,"apparently its just random sequences"  you all bought mono-polys album didnt you?
(no offence mono smile)

so i still think its about style big_smile

edit : in which case there are too numerous different sounds and styles from detroit right now too ignore.
so you should all start listening if youre not already
especially zubeldia

another thing

I hardly listen what other people tell me I should. Music is just a discovery pleasure, and I rather discover things myself.

24 (edited by kuczera 2010-03-29 09:05:25)

most complicated robot wrote:

another thing

I hardly listen what other people tell me I should. Music is just a discovery pleasure, and I rather discover things myself.

you're right about that danielle, it's a free world..

just expressing my feelings.. in this topic

Vlam Aan

No I didn't buy mono's album. I just don't get the Omar S. hype. Where is the funk in that music? Soul WTF?

It's mostly just some lo-fi loops (o.k. not everything). Rather boring and uninteresting really. Please explain why Omar S. is good and why his music's got funk.