Re: IFM on the brink of starvation

you know how people are, they only show you recognition when you show them.  I scratch your back you scratch mine.  like for example all the ifm3 robots giving each other praise

Donate Donate Donate

Broken Pots Hunter

minimalrome wrote:

Donate Donate Donate

+1

79 (edited by MenschMaschine 2010-03-31 07:52:00)

Extra Extra read all about it.

Since IFM is in some heavy waters regarding funding of our operations we organize a live Donate-o-la.
Thursday night we'll be transmitting live from the IFMX with special guests IFX, Frankie Osmo, Smackos and possibly others to raise money for the Hotmix Foundation.
We're live as of 2100 CIT thurday 01-04-10

On the IFM frontpage you can bid on some items like:

the very first copy (#001) of Flemming Dalum's The Amazing Run in the Tube boxset. See here
http://intergalacticfm.com/images/stories/flemming001.jpg

The so far only existing test-promotional copy of the never released "FRANZ FALCKENHAUS - Secret Microcassettes" album See here
http://www.moosleybay.com/TRIDENTCRISIS.jpg

Bidding closes during the live broadcast at midnight CIT (Friday 00:00)
Good luck!

We're live as of 2100 CIT

I'm srry to hear they are having money issue's again, i thought it was all going swimmingly. I got no real complaints about the format or structure of IFM, it's constantly evolving & changing anyway, i totally appreciate the effort of all those who put shows/mixes together, supply tracks to the database, do all the work behind the scene's. and those that are willing to step up financially to make a donation.

Got no idea how to get more ppl to donate, guess there is always givers & takers in life....i believe its like some moral & cultural duty to keep this baby floating lol..

Shame it take money issue's to uncle IFX back on zee radio, perhaps as well as hocking all these goodies to raise money, uncle IFX could DJ man whore himself for a mix-o-la show or smth big_smile

Let's get Dumb

damn, it's a shame that only 1 person will end up with that falckenhaus stuff sad

we should have a collection and give the money to bias
then when he wins the auction he will share with everyone

keep hackney crap

Good thinking Byron

the microcassettes were already shared on the cbs blog

i'm bidding for the packaging! beautiful....

cuties don't exert

I failed to see it was a CDR, looked like a Record yesterday after a few beers. Im happy your bidding

excellent!

it'll all be mine!!! mwuhahahaha

no sharing! none! mine! (scatters)

cuties don't exert

^^ watch out for me, i'm not giving up yet big_smile

Vlam Aan

yeah ytz, but it's all about the nice package wink

i'd bid for it too, but i'll be on a flight when the show is on, so not much chance of winning sad

That depends on the amount you bid for

90 (edited by score100 2010-03-31 16:02:38)

Ok, today I got a bit more time so I can give a good reply on this.
First I fully agree with static's post:

statiq wrote:

Rather, it sort of works like open source: those who can contribute to the project (be it with music/time/code/design/money) do so and everybody benefits from the end product.

The quality and quantity of stuff available on IFM is pretty amazing right now, I don't have the numbers but from what we're hearing things are going well in terms of listeners. The problem might be that these new listeners enjoy the music but perhaps they don't really feel like they're part of a community like we did back in the CBS days. Hence they might be less inclined to support/donate.

I also think there should be more way's for user's contributing to it, to give joy and make the station better by bringing in idea's. It might be a rare comparison, but I feel with this a bit similar as with me using ubuntu, and once in a while writing down stuff of what I think should be made better on the os because I spend a lot of time with it during my daily life. So I could also imagine doing the one or other little task for ifm during my freetime, being it now contributing a mix, designing a banner or whatever else - simply because it gives me a pleasure to listen my freetime and I wouldn't mind giving something back for it.

Requesting more stuff for the site for certain tasks that have to be fullfiled or other contributions that would enrich the station is a good idea. For example giving out a free slot for a contributed dj mix every week and people can vote which one should be broadcast in the end.

rude66 wrote:

the main problem with all the promotion efforts is that all of us do many other things. i'm surprised already that things run as smooth as they do, with 4 channels and all the regular shows. maybe we should recrute a special promotion team from our listeners or something.
as for the forum etc and communities, the choice was made not to have a forum attached to the ifm site after the cbs forum. but there is this forum, and a facebook page and group. only thing is that maybe this and the facebook page could be mentioned on the ifm front page. but i also think many people just enjoy listening without being on forums and communities..

and every once in a while we have to kick some asses to donate more.. to most people no news is good news, thats how it is..

Believe me I totally know what you mean. I've been working in cultural institutions with more or less earning no money at all and being run by volunteers who all got a day job on the side for over 2 years.
And it's a very typical issue also that you don't have enough time for promoting since you're so inclined with running the thing as it is. Still, that's one of the things why it can be very helpful to get a helping hand from outside - although the major efforts of course will have to be carried out by the same team.

statiq wrote:

Look at the number of comments on IFM news and blog posts, there isn't a lot of discussion happening. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like there's a growing divide between those who are doing the stuff behind the scene and everybody else listening to the streams. It used to feel like a much tighter community. If we want people to contribute, we've got to bring them on board on a more personal level. That's what the CBS forum used to do - not trying to reopen the whole forum debate, beating a dead horse etc. - but things on the community front can perhaps be improved by making changes on the website (but that kind of stuff requires even more time & work).

Damn right, I'm just asking myself why I'm writing this ON HERE - which is why I will  allow myself to copy this post to ifm.

and to conclude:

most complicated robot wrote:

and now my take on it:

honestly I think what I read on this topic gets on my nerves. How to, there should be, why don't they do, where's the cash at, how much. It's getting complicated as with the CBS, a slow monster. I love IFM, and I like the way they are doing, we contribute with what we do best, we play music, we do mixes on regular basis, we're not good at live shows or interviews. And when we can with money. Others can do other things, with talent resources and time. Who's willing to contribute will contribute. Others will listen.

Enjoy the flow, or contribute, or move it on. It's really that simple.

I understand what you mean, I still disagree though. Nobody say's that every suggestion has to be granted as a future idea, and never it's meant as a "must do", it's a s-u-g-g-estion, nothing more.
And as long as people stay relaxed on the site's progress and respect the fact that the resources are not too high when posting idea's, it's going a good way.

Having that said I want to clarify that the site looks great,
especially with the new design, and that already a lot of great effort has been done so far.

out!

91 (edited by MenschMaschine 2010-03-31 17:28:26)

score100 wrote:

I also think there should be more way's for user's contributing to it, to give joy and make the station better by bringing in idea's.So I could also imagine doing the one or other little task for ifm during my freetime, being it now contributing a mix, designing a banner or whatever else - simply because it gives me a pleasure to listen my freetime and I wouldn't mind giving something back for it.

In my opinion there are plenty of ways to contribute right now.
There were several calls for people to join the tech team and create the new website....no response
Slots for shows: There are still plenty left...just come forward and tell your plans.
Tracks can be donated more easy then ever before with the upload tool on the frontpage.
There are 3 or 4 ways to donate money. Also small amounts are apreciated.
Use the email adresses to report idea's so they can be considdered.

The ways are there....people just don't seem to use em.

Also there is a chat. In my opinion a place to ask questions, give suggestions or just respond to the things that keep you busy. Much faster and more effective then a forum where discussions most of the time end in crap.
Take the Detroit Thread for instance that Kuczera opened.

Here are some screenshots of the TRIDENT CRISIS! Escape from Dragovonia computer game

http://www.moosleybay.com/tridentscreen.jpg
This screen actually has animation and music!

http://www.moosleybay.com/tridentscreen2.jpg
Further in the game things get very actionpacked!

great stuff smackos... did you make it on SEUCK?

cuties don't exert

No this is just 1982 style basic programming

95 (edited by ytz 2010-04-01 17:15:06)

estimated playing time for trident crisis?  big_smile

cuties don't exert

absolutely huge bid just blew everyone out the water for the franz falckenhaus release!  cool

cuties don't exert

the donation show is really cool!!

gutted i had to miss it... i caught as much as i could... rerun i hope

cuties don't exert

same here  sad . re-run would be appreciated

Evening is recorded so expect reruns