1 (edited by Klart 2010-04-06 15:46:40)

Topic: Active monitors

My old amplifier (was my dad's) has stopped working (and started smelling real bad/burnt as well). Given the fact that the monitors connected to my set-up were rather crappy ones (taken off a crap Sony hifi), I'm considering getting active monitors (saw some interesting 2nd hand BEHRINGER B2030A Truth).

They'd be used for my home DJ-ing efforts (or just playing records) and a bit of producing gear (sampler, MC-505 and probably a nice analog synth in the near future).

Good idea?

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Re: Active monitors

I chose KRK Rokit 6 a year ago, and I'm still very pleased. Even though they are "honest" monitors, they still sound nice enough to listen all your stuff on them in my opinion (though it might take a few days to get used to it).

I also tested the Rokit 5 and Rokit 8 version, but the Rokit 6 were the most balanced ones. The 5 has fewer bass, and the 8 has a gap between the bass and the mids, so the 6 is really fine!

Adam.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

I have Behringer truths for dj-use. I think they do the job good. They sound nice and they're cheap and can go pretty loud.

I know you have a certain budget, but don't go too cheap... your ears will thank you
e.g.
Alesis M1 active MkII (ok prize)
Mackie HR624/HR824 (quite expensive, but I was able to score Mackie's HR624 2nd hand for a very decent prize)

I use my KRK RP8 G2's for dj'ing.. Honest sounding and they go really loud.. love 'm!

Heil CBS

like-a-kim wrote:

I know you have a certain budget, but don't go too cheap... your ears will thank you

+1
It's better to spend 100 or 200 more right now instead of always thinking about a future upgrade when sitting in front of your monitors. I paid 400 for my two KRKs and I know that I will keep them for the rest of my life. At least I've got that feeling wink

I second ZeHa consideration about the Rokit 6. I have the powered ones, I listened to a bunch of other monitors as well
the day that I went to a local shop here in Switzerland... The Rokit 6 were the most "balanced" of the bunch, in the price
range I was looking for - Of course, just for the sake of it I have tried as well the BM6A from DynAudio, I would have taken
those but were out of my price range - and the shop had an offer on the Rokit 6...

I was able to listen with music I made and some other music I consider "reference" in a proper environment at the shop, so
the choice was well supported with "facts" smile

I was considering buying the subwoofer, but I am not really sure I need it, especially because I use them for recording
and not much for music listening - although they work very well for me and my ears are never fatigued, even after hours
of listening/tracking.

a.