Topic: Universal new PG200/300 controller

http://www.paintingwithsound.co.nz/upg.htm

http://www.paintingwithsound.co.nz/images/PE300.jpg

Thats handy for all JX10/JX3P owners witouth programmer!

And it also does Sixtrak and DW6000/8000!

Re: Universal new PG200/300 controller

Sexy...!

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

3 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2010-04-12 09:32:48)

nice idea but not as sexy in the looks department as the original

could be a bit less obtrusive looking

yeah, the lights heard my eyes! wink

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

True, but the lights might be quite practical in a live situation.

Nice nice nice, I have all three but (JX8, JX3, Alpha Juno) my PG200 is buggered (again) so this would be an exellent backup.
Bit pricey but heho. Looks like a midibox project..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Itb is ugly. It does look more handy than the Behringer ones. Since I dunno anything about controllers, I do wonder how this will compare to the Mackie C4?

p-tu wrote:
JamesTRubotnik wrote:

True, but the lights might be quite practical in a live situation.

Good point

As a slight aside, can the BGR2000 be used for pretty much any synth? As long as the VCED parameters are listed at the back of the manual can the value be edited? Also, can you have it sitting between a sequencer and a synth so that a pattern is being sent as you edit the parameters in realtime?

That would be handy for my JX8P as well, but for the price I might also get an original PG800 somewhere...

It can control the MKS50 and MKS80 too!

Rough crowd.....

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

A lot of the synths mentioned here can be controlled with the BCR2000 but not the JX10 and JX3p (except if you have some kind of new ROM update but I don't know if that exists for the JX10)

14 (edited by Stalker 2010-04-12 22:37:07)

rarara wrote:

As a slight aside, can the BGR2000 be used for pretty much any synth? As long as the VCED parameters are listed at the back of the manual can the value be edited? Also, can you have it sitting between a sequencer and a synth so that a pattern is being sent as you edit the parameters in realtime?

Yes, you can. Mine is connected with Rm1x which sends midi to splitter and then to all other synths. Also, i have master kayboard connected with bcr2000. It works great that way - i can control everything with BCR, record sysex values into rm1x seq. and play on master kayboard at the same time. It's completely new experiance compared to programming patches without midi controller on alpha juno, dw8000 or jx8p. I payed 90 euros for it

every JX10 owner should go and buy this.. http://www.colinfraser.com/jx10/jx.htm

would be great, i have jx3p and dw 8000. but 400 € mhhh... i think i rather get another synth for that money and keep pressing buttons to patch.

17 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-04-13 17:19:43)

I've always thought like that myself, but I figure now that a decent controller interface might make your synths much more worth while. It might take away some psychological boundary and help one to dive deeper into the very potential synths like the DW's and jx's. Okay, it's not like owning a new synth, but if you have 2 or more synths but it could very well be the next best thing.

It depends what synth you have, but this seems like a good deal if you have the MKS-80 and no programmer.  It seems like a better option than the original controller, more so than for the other synths.

The control lights can be dimmed to suit current light levels......
I am pretty sold + you dont need to upgrade your jx3 to control via CC..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Squadra Smackos wrote:

A lot of the synths mentioned here can be controlled with the BCR2000 but not the JX10 and JX3p (except if you have some kind of new ROM update but I don't know if that exists for the JX10)

I only know abouot this rom update from Collin Fraser. it is built for  the JX10 but he is stating "Contrary to information from Roland, the voice board ROMs for the JX did not change for version 2.1 or 2.3 of the assigner code, so the sysex modified ROM should be usable with any version of JX."

Stalker wrote:
rarara wrote:

Yes, you can. Mine is connected with Rm1x which sends midi to splitter and then to all other synths. Also, i have master kayboard connected with bcr2000. It works great that way - i can control everything with BCR, record sysex values into rm1x seq. and play on master kayboard at the same time. It's completely new experiance compared to programming patches without midi controller on alpha juno, dw8000 or jx8p. I payed 90 euros for it

how did you do that? I never got this to work. maybe I am too stupid. but I never found it documented on how to handle SysEx with the BCR2k. Adding to that, the "description" of the midi implementation in the manual of the DW-6000 and the jx-8p only confuse me.
Can you give me a hint on where I have to do my reading?

21 (edited by Stalker 2010-04-17 01:57:18)

how did you do that? I never got this to work. maybe I am too stupid. but I never found it documented on how to handle SysEx with the BCR2k. Adding to that, the "description" of the midi implementation in the manual of the DW-6000 and the jx-8p only confuse me.
Can you give me a hint on where I have to do my reading?

Just connect synthesizer to BCR midi in and press learn button + any button or knob on BCR, then choose parameter on synth and using slider change value -  the sysex data will be received and you'll be able to control synth via bcr. If you want to edit stored sysex data, set up min and max value or change the mode for LED circles etc. you have to use bcfredit because these option are not avaible thru BCR panel.

bcfredit:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/bFFPW … b0N4dnc9PQ

dw6000/8000 doesn't send sysex so you have to copy sysex messages from manual and paste in bcfredit or connect bcr to midi interface and transmit sysex from dw6000/8000 software editor [dunno if there is an editor for dw6000]. So far I've made presets for alpha juno, jx8p and dw8000...next one will be waldorf pulse. If anyone wants i can share them.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1949/jx8p.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1735/dw8000.jpg

how do you know if the learn function will work for your synth? of it has the ability to do a bulk midi dump will that send the correct info regarding parameters?

23 (edited by Stalker 2010-04-17 18:16:04)

rarara wrote:

how do you know if the learn function will work for your synth? of it has the ability to do a bulk midi dump will that send the correct info regarding parameters?

Connect synth to BCR midi in twist knob or move slider to change value of a parameter, and the 'midi in' LED on BCR will light up. If there is an software editor avaible, you can be sure that synth can receive SysEx, but first you have to turn that fuction on - for example it's parameter #26 on jx8p, #85 on dw8000. Like I said Dw8000 is tricky one because it doesn't send, only receive sysex messages but software editor is avaible on net so it's not a big problem, just connect your midi interface to BCR midi in instead of a synth and start 'learn' procedure.

interesting, especially the way you can use a software editor.

as an interim measure i have managed to get my MPC to send system exclusive messages which change hidden synth parameters. bit of a chore to set up, but fairly easy to do  big_smile

Thanks Stalker!! you just made me very happy. I testet it with the jx and it just worked out fine. I know now what i do this weekend :-)

Stalker wrote:

dw6000/8000 doesn't send sysex so you have to copy sysex messages from manual and paste in bcfredit or connect bcr to midi interface and transmit sysex from dw6000/8000 software editor [dunno if there is an editor for dw6000]. So far I've made presets for alpha juno, jx8p and dw8000...next one will be waldorf pulse. If anyone wants i can share them.

There are editors for dw6000. one is the pricy soundquest and I found an other one. unfortunatly they do not show any screenshot. so I have no clue if its any good.

http://www.morgunoff.com/korg_sysex.html