1 (edited by Leo Slayer 2010-04-13 12:20:54)

Topic: Venues

ive been having a lot of conversations with freinds about their favourite Venues.

Im a sucker for a nice loft style disco party, Basement bang boxes and the joys of a dirty pub for some all day action.

One of my favourites was an old gym style bulding all wood panelling that was a tradional Scottish dancing place for old people in the day and an excellant small Club at night. sadly teh Riverside Club is  now closed.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

2 (edited by Technicolor 2010-04-13 12:25:53)

Re: Venues

I remember visiting a club in Düsseldorf called Unique. It was in an old brothel, so it had no windows, a steel door and everything was clad in padded leather - the couches, the walls, the bar, even the tables. There were also tables in booths with heavy velvet curtains you could draw.

I once threw a party in an old "dutch waterline" bunker - wich was nice - apart from the crap organisation & bad sound.

Also the Pydna Raketenbasis is a fantastic location - too bad they only play crap music at Nature One festival.

Technicolor wrote:

I remember visiting a club in Düsseldorf called Unique. It was in an old brothel, so it had no windows, a steel door and everything was clad in padded leather - the couches, the walls, the bar,
even the tables. There were also tables in booths with heavy velvet curtains you could draw.

Sexy.

I visited a sweaty club like that in Catalonia. Double steel door entrance with a small letterbox to look through and a massive Doorman who looked like Stallone in Cobra.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

We had some parties in a few bunkers at the coast of Vlissingen back in the day: 5 different bunkers connected trough the same soundsystem.
Also the tunnelparties in Middelburg were quite ok smile

I'm still a sucker for the old Tresor, although the new one is quite cool as well with the long-concrete tunnel to the basement-room.

Another good one was Deep, a bunker outside of Warsaw. Very cool, and friendly people. During the summer they took out sofas and tables out in the forest. A very nice memory smile

And don't forget the Noize festival! in the woods in the middle of the Netherlands. Two stages with electro and acid, campfires in the woods and a big bath with a fire underneath it were everybody was chilling and eating acid  cool

Indeed, the two years I've been to the festival have been amazing. What a place! big_smile

I only ate bio-macaroni - but it was excellent.

@ Leo Slayer   tongue  lol

@technicolor  the "padded" seats are for sex no?  tongue

Last year went to see TG at the MFE club in Berlin, it felt like a disused house with carpeted floors, makeshift feel, 2 smallish rooms with no windows, dark and dingy just how a club should be.

You canna beat outdoors though. The Binnin festival WW2 tent is awesome, will post an image later.

Last summer I ran a rollerdisco in a massive old artist studio in a glasgow tenement block - new york style - id kill to have the space again.

embryo for sure...in Bucharest( in it's first look)...great time here with Robotnick few years ago
http://www.robucuresti.ro/unde/157clubImg_embryo1.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/28jhzk9.jpg

Looks amazing Fantomas!

@karamanga: Yeah... You kind of didn't want to think of what had been going on there before lol

13 (edited by meschi 2010-04-13 14:47:18)

good topic, and some nice looking venues. Im a sucker for low ceilings, dark basements sorta thing. The dirtier the better.
some of my favourites:

Club 69, Paisley, Scotland

absolute beast and probably one of my all time favourites. Dark, dingy and with buses running from the centre of town, you couldnae beat this shit. absolute belter.

highlights:
Alden Tyrell
Shawn Rudiman

Plastic People, London, England

Low ceilings and amaznig sound, no light shows here, just pitch black dancefloor filled with 300 sound cunts. Favourite club in London

highlights:
Kenny Dixon Jr
Alexander Robotnick (doin a full italo set)

The Sugar Club, Dublin, Ireland

Tiered seating, candlit tables and table cocktail service. No better place to experience this shit!!

highlight:
only seen Dopplereffekt in here, but so good.

Corsica Studios, London, England

Won small venue of the year last year and deserve it completely. Some of the soundest staff (including bouncers you will find in the Capital) Funktion 1 throughout and two decent sized rooms. Ive had the pleasure of playing on both sides, and its something else altogether. Amazing for live gigs as well. Probably my most visited venue.

highlights:
Magic Waves fest
Legowelt
I-F
Patrice Scott
I-G
Sunn O
Omar S
this list goes on and on for this one.

MACBA, Barcelona, Spain

Every Sonar Ive went to, even though I might not have wanted to see all that much, there is no better feeling that chillin out in the MACBA with the sun on you, drinking Sangria and soakin in the atmosphere and all round good music.

highlights:
Pan Sonic
Sunn O
Skweee Showcase
Listening to two djs (don't know theyre names) play 4 hours of amazing dub and deep techno early on a saturday afternoon when I was feelin really shit.

The Key, London, England.

So so so so sad that this place has been torn down. It was my favourite venue in London. Amazing underlit dancefloor and three rooms, sound people, bit expensive but fuck it was well worth it. Fuckin brilliant.

highlights:
I-F (5 hour set)
Nicky Siano (6 hour set)

Star and Shadow, Newcastle, England

nothing quite like a DIY venue. Decorate yourself, run it yourself, staff it yourself, and party fuckin hard.

highlights:
Playing! and seeing a bit of Andy Blake

World Unknown Railway Arch, Brixton, England

Underneath a railway arch, amazing sound and totally grimy. Plus the world unknown night playing some amazing shit. Everytime I go here I have an amazing time.

highlights:
dr alex patterson
and joe and andy, every time.

worst venue

Fabric, London, England

This is one of those places that if you are in London and not into any music, but like going 'clubbing', getting 'off your face' and generally being 'a fucking wanker', you go. Don't get me wron, the sound in here is incredible and they occasionally get smoe really good artists, but Ive boycotted this place for a few years now and cannot bring myself to go back... absolutely horrible.

What about 'The Aquarium' in London? Motherfucker, what a dodgy place  roll

jesus,  thats fuckin shite as well, but I suppose we could go on about shite venues a lot easier eh lol

yea plastic people sounds amazing, is it still closing, or whats going on there?

They are petitioning to keep it open. Basically there have been repeated noise compaints regarding the club (basically don't live above a club...) and also claims of loutish and anti-social behaviour outside, whch the council are trying to blame the club on, not the fact that its situated in one of the more popular places in London for people going out and getting 'mad wae it'

Basically a load of shit, but theres a huge base of people (including well known media figures) who are campaigining to stop anything happening.

i read they were targeting places with bashment and uk funky to prevent anti-social behaviour...
PP is a cultural institution isnt it! one of the least anti-social places ive ever been
i hope its just hot air

thats true, abuot the targetting particular music groups (which is actually targetting certain racial groups)
cultural institution it is, but its not hot air.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=11771

my bedroom's awesome trust me

cuties don't exert

Stubnitz

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

I'm a bit sad that I was born too late too see that in it's most flourishing time, but always had a love for weird squatted places. De Fabriek in Rotterdam was quite typical in that sense, just a huge squatted factory. I had a friend who used to dj at underground parties in the old catacombs of paris, should be amazing (and creepy).

There where also some parties in one of the anti-aircaft towers in vienna, remains from WWII. Whole Trust recs crew played there.
http://www.gallien.org/serendipity/uploads/Flakturm-Arenbergpark.jpg

For a more relaxed bar-feeling with good dj's, donau in vienna will always stay my favorite.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/12/69693028_1e999aa41e.jpg
Huge old room with visuals all over, but a different pattern or picture every evening. Also there's no marked entrance or something, just a normal door somewhere in the street.

@fantomas, sorry but that looks butt ugly and like a place I wouldn't want to go. big_smile

hmmm...I'm sure some more will come back to me, and I'm just speaking out of personal experience, but:

Africana, Praiano (Amalfi Coast): http://www.hotelondaverde.com/africanai.htm This place is incredible, built into the side of a cliff, grotto and everything... although I had the shits when I was there hmm

Ukranian Community Center, East Village NYC: Home of the Mancuso Loft Parties...possibly the friendliest, warmest party atmosphere in the world. Domed ceiling provides great acoustics for those Klipschorns and ample space for the buffet, punch bowls and balloon drop smile

Rubulad, BedStuy Brooklyn: The music is sometimes a bit meh, but this space is total insanity. Just remind the girls not to wear skirts cuase there are many ladders to climb tongue http://images.google.com/images?um=1&am … amp;tab=wi

this thread made me think more about past party experiences,
and I came to the conclusion that by location this 60's architecture pavillon in the donaupark on the outskirts of vienna is my fav ever. it lasted only a summer though, then they made offices out of it.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7606/puu.jpg
http://bda.at/image/tn450x_524304034.jpg
Very dolce vita, chillin outside with a glass of wine and if you catch a good girl the forests are around you. wink
Found a video from 5 am when hell was playing there back then, what a night it was!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsDCA7HMSE[/youtube]

@ score100: yeah the "donau" in vienna is really nice.. it's been some years since ive been there, does it still exist..? hope so.
that place in your last post also looks nice, shame its closed

in general i also like the type of fucked up basement style venues.. if a place is too clean and polished, it most of the time turns me off..

the LOK in munich was quite nice as long as it lasted.. dirty & raw smile originally it was a very old train servicing hall..
but unfortunately it got pulled down in 2001 or 02 or something

also there are those bunkers beneath the train rails in Berg am Laim.. there were some awesome illegal partys there ..
but the place became sort of popular, too much partys from diffrent groups, so also police started to look at the place more regularly.. sad

of course there will be the one or other tunnel party in muc in the summer... but munich just isn't the place for squat partys or something like this sad

about comercial venues, i dunno.. there are some nice locations here but nothing that really blows me out of my shoes..