1 (edited by Sander 2008-07-08 13:18:23)

Topic: Save your ears for 12 dollar

If you do not have enough money to buy custom fit (well worh the money btw) then look at the following link.
It is the same brand filter as the one I have (ER-25) but universal fit.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I highly recommend earplugs. Really stop listening to people who say they don't need it. They are stupid (Sorry Ruud).

Re: Save your ears for 12 dollar

Yeah, earplugs highly recommended.

The Alpine ones are also very cheap and I used to cut them shorter to make  them un visual.  No idea which of the two brands are better.

I shall definitely try a set of those thingies...

I have these and love them. Keep em on my keychain and sometimes even wear them when the subway is painfully screechy. I often get them for friends--they make great gifts.

i have those too and they are pretty comfortable. now i just need to save for the headphones wink

Thanks for that link Sander.

Seems like good stuff for members of the tinnitus nation (such as myself).

We have two pairs of these and bought them for our friends for Christmas one year. One of my friends never wore his and now he has tinnitus. :'(

I didn't realize they have a smaller size, will have to try those out!

thants.

I've been using the soft shit in cigarette filters on recent parties. Works quite well , but I should probably upgrade. Especially since I don't really smoke and thus have to ask people for two cigarettes every time....

yeah thumbs up for earplugs. i had some custom made ones that fitted exactly to my ears.. but i lost one of them being totally drunk at a party.. doh
have to get new ones

just bought a pair on ebay for e12, hopefully they're second hand and already broken in! big_smile

Yes! The Etymotics work well. I usually put them in when I don't like the music, when the sound system is too loud, or when the system sounds like shit and there's too much ear-damaging treble. They go in and come out easily, so I alternate between leaving them in and taking them out. They dull the music a bit, but it's worth it to be able to enjoy music for the rest of your life. If you don't have hearing damage, then you won't understand what it's like until your ears buzz every time you go to a club. I have a mild tinnitus from LCD fucking Soundsystem playing too fucking loud, it only took one bad night to push my hearing over the edge. Be careful if it's too loud or the system is badly calibrated -- your ears can be totally fucked forever because hearing damage is irreversible. Better safe than sorry!

look great... thanks for info

cool, they supposedly sell them at a store 5 min away from where i live.

tnx.

Earplugs are like condoms, less intens but unfortunately necessary.

Kid_a wrote:

tnx.

truer words have never been spoken

Motorfunker Radio Mixes
     Analysis - Synthesis
              "Obey"

my custom-made don't fit anymore, no surprise, cause I bought them like 10 yers ago and the inner part of the ear changes its shape every 3 or 4 yaers, no matter how old you are, so thinking of buying these, 12 $ is a fair price!

I'm a huge fan of the ordinary foam plugs that you can buy for a couple Euri. Best ones I know are the Hansaplast/Beiersdorf ones, on sale at least in DE and CH.

Talked to an audiologist about it at one point, and he told me basically all the custom-made or otherwise fancier plugs don't protect better; their only advantage is flatter frequency response and possibly better comfort. Since my goal is to give my ears maximum protection, I've stuck with the foam plugs, even though sound quality suffers a bit.

The Hansaplast plugs have around 30 dB avg. attenuation, but somewhat of a low-pass characteristic (~10 dB deviation from flat). Making plugs that have a flatter response means to reduce the attenuation at high frequencies, which is probably where one would want to have better protection. This makes me prefer the foam variant.

19 (edited by Sander 2008-07-08 23:29:27)

Echolot wrote:

yeah thumbs up for earplugs. i had some custom made ones that fitted exactly to my ears.. but i lost one of them being totally drunk at a party.. doh
have to get new ones

Normally you can get an insurance for two years or something for a small amount of extra money.

maurits wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the ordinary foam plugs that you can buy for a couple Euri. Best ones I know are the Hansaplast/Beiersdorf ones, on sale at least in DE and CH.

You mean like the throw away yellow ones? If so, they suck, most  high is gone. You don't hear too much detail, music is not really enjoyable. I would certainly recommend you a good pair of musical filters.

Gabe wrote:

They go in and come out easily, so I alternate between leaving them in and taking them out.

But better not pull them out in loud music!  Go to a quiet place first. Also better to have them in all the time. You could also buy different filters like the ER-9 or 15 for places with less hard music.

Yeah, hearing is precious. Thanks for bringing awareness to this issue. So many clubs/bars with shitty sound to start with then they jack up the sound to where conversation is impossible. I will carry these like I carry my MOJO.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Kid_a wrote:

yeah... but the accoustic isolator/resistor ones like sander linked are like the ultra thin extra sensitive condoms. Those really cheap foam earplugs must be like using a washing up glove as a condom.....
:-)

here's another option to the ones alread linked, I have these ones, the holder is always on my keyring, cause you never know when you'll need them....
http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-00211.html

24 (edited by Mr. Satellite 2008-07-09 00:48:45)

With the ears it`s like with the CBS.
Only realising the importance of it when it`s gone.

The last time i was in the club i was standing for about 2 hours with my left ear next to the box, and had many fun.

But the day after i felt on my left ear some strange pressure, and while listening to music i had the feeling that it sounds different like the input to my right ear.

Had that problem for 5 days, and i seriously thought that the perfect function of my left ear is gone forever.

You can imagine how horror this was to me.

On the 6th day after the party i decided to visit an doctor to getting the bad facts officially.

So i went ti the doc and he only cleaned both ears and e-voila, the next day bot ears were working well smile

Seems that i had luck, and for sure the next party i will visit only with some of these acessoirs:

http://www.piccube.de/bilder_speicher/uploads/PICCUBE_fea750bd91.jpg

What i wanted to say with this story ?

PROTECT YOUR EARS ROBOTS !!

depress the repress

I have those Sander, there pretty good. Yes Save your hearing!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++