Re: Health and Fitness

its amazing what just a couple of days at the gym can do to your mental state and your physical state. already finding it easier to get up in the morning... made doubly hard due to my room benig really toasty in the morning these days big_smile

you giving up on the running meschi?

Nah, just running indoors whilst the weather is shitty. Also allows me to do some muscle shit.

154 (edited by ytz 2011-01-07 11:49:26)

i've never found a gym that's comfy  sad

cuties don't exert

meschi wrote:

Nah, just running indoors whilst the weather is shitty. Also allows me to do some muscle shit.

ahh cool!

the weather's been alright up here for running. a wee bit cold, but i just stick on an extra layer. we've been lucky enough to avoid any pissing rain storms so far...

I was never an athlete, and I always hated sports. Now I'm 26 and I'm fat enough by now that I actually feel the need to do something. Not only because of the looks, but also because I really feel lazy as I'm sitting around all day, at work and at home.

I don't like gyms and that stuff, so I just take a small tour through the forest. You can't call it jogging yet; at the moment it's more like fast wandering/hiking/walking. I do it three times a week, 20-30 mins long, but I'm already feeling like getting addicted to it, and I'm thinking about doing it more often, maybe even everyday wink
Apart from that, I plan to convert it into jogging by some time (at the moment I'm sometimes taking a small jog of a few minutes in between) and maybe even doing it in the early morning, before I go to work. But let's see big_smile

I'm listening to italo and electro mixes while I'm at it, and this gives me some extra power. I once even listened live to Intergalactic FM via UMTS wink that was really great, though I have to say it's a strange feeling to walk through the forest, all alone, at night, and you're repeatedly hearing "I am the man who won't come back..." wink

What's strange is that my ankles sometimes hurt, I hope it's just because I'm not used to it yet and I'm doing nothing wrong (wrong movements, wrong shoes, etc)... as I'm not intending to ruin my health even more big_smile

On a 1.2km a day + 100 pushups regime besides 2 Krav Maga lessons a week now. Feels great, and I especially like the boxing/sparring. My whole left shin is blue now smile

hoi!

ZeHa wrote:

I was never an athlete, and I always hated sports. Now I'm 26 and I'm fat enough by now that I actually feel the need to do something. Not only because of the looks, but also because I really feel lazy as I'm sitting around all day, at work and at home.

I don't like gyms and that stuff, so I just take a small tour through the forest. You can't call it jogging yet; at the moment it's more like fast wandering/hiking/walking. I do it three times a week, 20-30 mins long, but I'm already feeling like getting addicted to it, and I'm thinking about doing it more often, maybe even everyday wink
Apart from that, I plan to convert it into jogging by some time (at the moment I'm sometimes taking a small jog of a few minutes in between) and maybe even doing it in the early morning, before I go to work. But let's see big_smile

I'm listening to italo and electro mixes while I'm at it, and this gives me some extra power. I once even listened live to Intergalactic FM via UMTS wink that was really great, though I have to say it's a strange feeling to walk through the forest, all alone, at night, and you're repeatedly hearing "I am the man who won't come back..." wink

What's strange is that my ankles sometimes hurt, I hope it's just because I'm not used to it yet and I'm doing nothing wrong (wrong movements, wrong shoes, etc)... as I'm not intending to ruin my health even more big_smile

best way to start is a combination of running and walking, sounds like you're doing it right. the pain that you're experiencing is most likely shin splints, which is normal. but you just need to be careful to not push too hard and allow for recovery, otherwise you end up injured and out for days or a week at a time, which is really frustrating.

if you've got an iPhone or something similar, i'd highly recommend tracking your progress via runkeeper - you can log walking, running or cycling activities on this.

as for me, i'm always glad to see this thread popping up smile. i'm slowly getting back to the fitness i had prior to the shitty scottish december and a little injury i got after pushing too hard at the start of january. i ran a 47 minute 10k last night on a hilly course. i'm slowly increasing my kms by 10% every week so as to not injure myself. i wanna run a half marathon in april/may.

I'm pretty obsessed with bouldering at the moment. I also like trail running and yoga. Feels good. I wish I could find more active robots  in the Pacific Northwest...

signed myself up for a half-marathon in april. 21k seemed a world away a few weeks ago but can manage to do about 12k in an hour now. looking to build it up the distances over coming weeks. less of the smokes & the beers all helps. running in a group too is an incentive - too easy to stop when you're on your own and no one's looking smile

Went out for a run at 7am this morning... feeling good today. Work is shite, but the run this morning really helps clear my head a bit.

nice one meschi. i had a doctor's appointment last night, and i said to myself on wednesday, "right, i'm gonna run in the morning before work since i can't do it tomorrow night" - alarm went off at 6am, i didn't get up smile.

i've never once ran in the morning - i'm always an afternoon person on the weekends and a night time person during the week.

its an excellent way to set you up for the day. Really is.

http://www.marathonman365.be/

btw, did everyone hear about this?

this dude ran 365 marathons in consecutive days!!!

Tryed to get back into stuff after winter hibernation, played 5-a-side last week wi the boys after work...was never that good at football, but now i've done smth to my heal...thats been a week now & it's proper fucking agony, it woke me up last nite. Pisses me off that just when i start getting my motivation back, my body fucks up....doctor or the hospital on Monday i think hmm

Let's get Dumb

meschi wrote:

its an excellent way to set you up for the day. Really is.

yeah man. my 30km cycle to work everyday clears all the cobwebs out of my brain

keep hackney crap

i was seriously considering buying a bike to cycle to and from work, it's about a 15km journey for me each way.

but i was worried that it would leave me too tired to run at night.

still thinking about it though, it would save me 40 quid a month on a bus ticket. also need to get a bike...

Weight train pretty heavily 5-6X a week focusing on one muscle group per day.  I try to do a little cardio in the morning if I have the energy but I usually don't.  Just started the Anabolic Diet as of yesterday to get shredded by summer!

169 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-02-16 08:26:37)

Luckyhandz wrote:

Anabolic Diet as of yesterday to get shredded by summer!

Your balls will be shredded too by summer, anabolics are no good man...

The training in rehab has increased lately, it's going very well. Pushing 100 kg on the horizontal legpress these days, not bad for a guy with shredded knees  smile Still working on the stability exercises, it's getting better too, I can do exercises on the trampoline now too which is a big step forward for me in the rehab process. Plus: it's also very cool to see the chicks on the trampoline  big_smile
I think I went to hard with the squads last Monday, I have a wrenching of my gluteus medius, it hurts pretty bad but I have to go to training in an hour so there's no time for pain I'm afraid.
The only thing that is still difficult is to walk in a normal way, I mean using the muscles in a correct way, training the muscles is pretty easy in a rehab process but coordination - which seems simple - is the most difficult part for me. But I'm getting there.
Also very fun is that Evy Gruyaert, a beautiful and well known TV host in Flanders is having a rehab there too, she's very nice and funny. And she looks awesome on the trampoline  big_smile

"A Real Music Hater"

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

But I'm getting there.

good to hear that the physique is improving!

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

Also very fun is that Evy Gruyaert, a beautiful and well known TV host in Flanders is having a rehab there too, she's very nice and funny. And she looks awesome on the trampoline

ah, my favorite vlaanderen vakantieland hostess  wink  lucky bastard...

Your balls will be shredded too by summer, anabolics are no good man...

It's just a type of diet....nothing to do with illicit substances my man!   lol

Zubeldia wrote:
Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

But I'm getting there.

good to hear that the physique is improving!

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

Also very fun is that Evy Gruyaert, a beautiful and well known TV host in Flanders is having a rehab there too, she's very nice and funny. And she looks awesome on the trampoline

ah, my favorite vlaanderen vakantieland hostess  wink  lucky bastard...

Yep, I'm really improving the last 3 months, no more crouch, no more brace, I can go wherever I want nowadays. Working again, going out etc. I missed that so much.

Good to read that Evy is appreciated in Holland too  big_smile  Believe me or not but in reality she's even more pretty than she looks on the screen. And she really has no star attitude: she talks to everyone in "plat West-Vlaams", she's waiting her turn to use the training machines etc, she's a really nice lady.

"A Real Music Hater"

173 (edited by jacderida 2011-02-20 19:20:48)

@ray - glad to hear you're getting better!

i just logged this beast, with a whisky hangover:
http://i.imgur.com/Z1jB5.png

legs = SORE

glad i done it though, that's 54k logged for the week.

@jacderida get in! i went for a meaty run the other day but really should start mapping it, which app you recommend (i know thats a google map).

@ ray, nice to hear you getting better, the Evy motivation factor is helping im sure  big_smile

@ dumbbot hows the heel, still resting up?  sad

it's runkeeper - really cool site, you can add your pals on it and help keep each other motivated smile

here's my profile to give you a wee example.

the mapping is done automatically if you have an iphone or something similar, but you can also plot your routes manually, and then save them.