Re: Should I buy...

cool sounding machine, but it is only a reverb.. if you use a lot of reverb, its probably worth it..

tascam 244 in the 40-50 euro range (maybe cheaper if no one else gives a shit)

i need a small, ok to good looking audio mixer to hook up some critters and the djm-400 i use with my turntables is obviously too limited in channel numbers tongue

everybody who's ever been to my place knows that my audio setup looks good but sounds shit. although i'm working on improvements to the latter part.

didnt buy the rackpac one channel was death but besides that i thought the building quality was really lousy you could move every pot and every fader for a few mm to bad 2 hours driving for nothing but a cup ofcoffe wel.... its part of the game

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

ProjectGenocide wrote:

didnt buy the rackpac one channel was death but besides that i thought the building quality was really lousy you could move every pot and every fader for a few mm to bad 2 hours driving for nothing but a cup ofcoffe wel.... its part of the game

I've got a Rac-pac and I agree they aren't the most robust pots/faders.  Good mixer overall though I think, just got to be careful with it.

got an other option on an folio sx 199 sounds like same quality or should it be better then the rackpac?
an other option is an makie 1604 anyone has experience with one of those?

You might like the build quality better on the Mackie, but according to the robots here it's not nearly as good.
I had both at one point and I concur, also, the routing is no as sophisticated, still decent though.

what you mean tony not as good as the spirit?

or the sx not as good as te rackpac>>?

pff its difficult finding a good not to high budget mixer
no more soundcraft spirits for me the building quality is to sleazy for me
now have an option on a mackie cr1604 vlz for 300
read some bad stuff about the ribbon connection any cr1604 user here? are they any good? how is the building quality?

The ribbon connector causes some crosstalk I think, is that what you heard?

The build quality of the 1604 I had (1st gen), was good, heavy built, the eqs were OK but not as good as on the RacPac.
The channels didn't have proper direct outs, but they might have fixed that on the later models.

I agree that good compact mixers are hard to find, the market for that kind of crumbled I guess.
It's mixerless, Behringer or high-end now.

1,036 (edited by rockmanrock 2009-11-22 21:46:05)

I think the Mackie's pots are still PCB mounted rather than bolted to the front panel but they're less wobbly than the Spirits due to a more flush fit to the panel.  The current Allen & Heath Zed series look very robust, the pots are all bolted to the panel and each channel is on its own PCB rather than the big single motherboard approach you normally get with cheap mixers.

have an other option on an gl3 from allen & heat 375 euro but its much bigger

so you guys think the mackie is ok to?
don't care to much about te eq wel it should be there of course but its my synths fx that should make the sound full the eq's on my mixer will be used for.... wel equalizing

I use an original Mackie CR1604 (not VLZ) that I bought new in the 90's and it still does the job.  The EQ's not very subtle but it's rack mounted, got 4 aux sends and it's quiet.

man, look on marktplaats, for 375 you can get a full 16 channel d&r  that'll blow any mackie or soundcraft out of the water. then you'll also have eq's that sound good and a nice, full sound where you don't need fx to sound good..:D

ARe these quik lok stands any good for a studio?  If I use the 2 bottom tiers for synths and the top one for drum machines, is it a nice way to make music at home?

http://www.musiclab.com.au/%28bvynjg553 … erId=12289

These are pretty cool.. cheap, very adjustable, but a big on the big side:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ … sku=452069

rude66 wrote:

man, look on marktplaats, for 375 you can get a full 16 channel d&r  that'll blow any mackie or soundcraft out of the water. then you'll also have eq's that sound good and a nice, full sound where you don't need fx to sound good..:D

simply dont have the room for an d&r mixer these guys are beast but of the biggest format smile so what iaM lookin for is a compact 19'' (preferably) mixer the GL isnt gonna make it 2 ive decided...

Ruud most off the d&r mixers being offerd all got isues.
I had one once and i would never ever buy one again.
I would recomend people to get a sony mxp instead or perhaps 2 to link them.
So much better build and so much better preamps and eqs etc.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

http://www.thomann.de/nl/yamaha_mg_166c_usb.htm

klaar big_smile

mono-poly wrote:

Ruud most off the d&r mixers being offerd all got isues.
I had one once and i would never ever buy one again.
I would recomend people to get a sony mxp instead or perhaps 2 to link them.
So much better build and so much better preamps and eqs etc.

Anybody that buys a 2nd hand desk must be willing to spends some time and money on it cause any mixer of age will have it's problems, even the mxp's. Not all D&R's are as great as the mxp's, for sure. But there are definitely some that are worth considering. And atleast D&R still supports their old stuff the best they can, which can be a big plus, especially when you live in Holland . But anyway, there's no such thing as a cheap mixer, cheap and 2nd hand means it will probably have issues, cheap and new means it will probably get issues soon smile

well bought a mackie cr1604 vlz today all channels sounded clean now gonna hook everything on look how it works
thanks for your help anyway guys(andgurls)

Um, someone locally is listing a working Kurzweil K250 for $60 (yes, sixty). 

I know this thing is supposed to have a great keyboard, but would it be worth the outrageous amount of space it would take up?  Has anyone ever used one of these behemoths before?

Brian the mxp's are really much better build and most time beter taken care off.
I think you can find 8 channels for 200 euro.
D&R imho doesn't come close with the quality of preamps and eqs.
Sometimes i think about getting me a second one.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

i've never worked with the mxp's, but the thing i like about the d&r's is the way they colour your sound. most mixers do, and generally i find small mixers don't colour in a good way. a lot of them make your sound worse rather than better. if those sony's are as good as you say mono, they sound like a very good deal. i'm also a big midas fan when it comes to small mixers, but thats a budget stretcher.. big_smile

as for problems, i find that an issue that is hugely overrated. what kind of problems do you get with mixers? 99% is crackling pots and dirty faders. all can be cleaned with a relatively small effort. of course you can have issues with power supply caps, or the ribbon cable issue brian told me about. but my experience is that small cheap mixers develop problems with faders and pots much sooner than big mixers, because of the crappy quality of their pots and faders. also big mixers tend to be much more service friendly than small mixers, the real good ones are even modular. hell, on my d&r one channel is constantly feedbacking right now.. so i don't use it, i have 23 left.. big_smile

so your choice on a small budget is between a small mixer that sounds at best mediocre, and is likely to develop problems in a few years, or a bigger 2nd hand mixer, that is likely to have these issues already, but can be cleaned easily, will have sound hardware of much better quality inside, and will have a much better basic sound. i know what my choice would be..

all equipment will need some TLC at some point if you want it to work properly for many years..

well the mackie is all hooked up and must agree that isnt the best @ the eq's but its a verry nice mixer with nice routing options the build quality is way better than the spirits and mine is all ok no crackling faders or pots no broken channels every thing works just great im a happy man wink