1,051 (edited by ProjectGenocide 2009-11-23 19:53:09)

Re: Should I buy...

http://soundcloud.com/cptcrxck/jummymynewmixer
first test with the mackie what you think of the sound?

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

unicity wrote:

Um, someone locally is listing a working Kurzweil K250 for $60 (yes, sixty). 

I know this thing is supposed to have a great keyboard, but would it be worth the outrageous amount of space it would take up?  Has anyone ever used one of these behemoths before?

60$$$$ ofcourse man thats fucking crazy gogogogo!!!

lol thats what i thought but never really used it so though i could better keep my mouth shut
but unicity GOGOGO
if you dont like it sell it and buy something you do like

It's gone, but honestly I'm not that upset.  There's NO way I would have had adequate room for that thing. 

Here is a photo of one below a Jupiter-6 to give you some idea of the size:

http://www.analogindustries.com/images/blog/k250.jpg

Selling probably wouldn't have been an option either.  Shipping?  Haha no thanks.

1,056 (edited by mono-poly 2009-11-24 00:18:05)

@Ruud My D&R's had all the things you did mention and channels random falling out.

I can tell you that the Sony desk is small but the parts are top notch!
It's all broadcasting quality like Studer.

And 200 euro for 8 channels can't be beaten with that great quality!

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

1,057 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-11-24 00:37:41)

unicity wrote:

It's gone, but honestly I'm not that upset.  There's NO way I would have had adequate room for that thing. 

Here is a photo of one below a Jupiter-6 to give you some idea of the size:

http://www.analogindustries.com/images/blog/k250.jpg

Yeah...it is....kinda big big_smile

awesome:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyBs0Jzh_Bg[/youtube]

Too bad Uni, at that price you gotta be quick!
At that price, when selling locally or online fails, destroying or recycling would be a nice option if you need to get rid of it.

A tip to fellow bots, I have a 90% success rate in buying any gear that pops up in Montreal, I tell them I want to purchase the item, not "have a look" or ask if it's still available, the point is to get them on the phone asap.  If the gear is priced too low, offer more, nobody ever does that, I've run tests smile

I'm in a suprisingly nice 70$  hotel right now, in the outskirts of Toronto near the airport, playing the Cs-60 alone in my room.  It's in amazing condition and  the tuning seems fine to my ears, this thing is super dreamy, just wish I'd brought a reverb!

The seller is the pianist at the end of Lost In Translation (Mark Willms), kind of ironic.

Awesome. Like I said. If you buy an old Yamaha problem free they will probably stay problem free forever.

TONY COPS wrote:

get them on the phone asap.

This is very important. Don't fuck around or get cute or even formal with people.

Usually when it's a good deal, people don't really know what they're selling or obviously what it's worth. Or they just really need/want the money.

I just say I can come buy it right now and ask for their phone number and address.

If it were an amazing deal offering more would probably help. But there have just been good not amazing deals on Kijiji here. There was a $75 Lambda once that was spoken for already. Maybe I should have offered $100, $150...

Hope you are right!

I'm really enjoying the sound, unlike anything I've had the chance to play before!

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Yeah...it is....kinda big big_smile

Yes indeed.  That photo I posted really put it in perspective for me because I have a Jupiter-6 and always thought it was impressively large...and it looks like a micrKorg next to the 250.  The only way I could justify having a synth that size was if it converted into a futon or dining room table or something. 

For the price it was a steal, but like I said I'm not really upset about missing out on it. 

Congrats again on the CS60 Tony!

1,063 (edited by TONY COPS 2009-11-24 05:50:19)

Thanks!

Yeah it seems like the Kurzweil is something that would become a door stopper (garage door?) after the honeymoon phase.

I see K2000's going for cheap too, I wonder what that's like

mono-poly wrote:

@Ruud My D&R's had all the things you did mention and channels random falling out.

So does the mpx at my job. Doesn't say a thing, atleast not in favor of D&R or Sony. Just says that in my experience age takes it toll.

Amazing thing that K250

TONY COPS wrote:

I'm in a suprisingly nice 70$  hotel right now, in the outskirts of Toronto near the airport, playing the Cs-60 alone in my room.  It's in amazing condition and  the tuning seems fine to my ears, this thing is super dreamy, just wish I'd brought a reverb!

sweet! may i ask how much you've plonked down for it? the last one i've seen over here in switzerland on ebay (still not sold after a few weeks probably due to overprizing) is over 3500 canuck $ which seems a hefty investment, even for such a nice instrument.

Brian Chinetti wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

So does the mpx at my job. Doesn't say a thing, atleast not in favor of D&R or Sony. Just says that in my experience age takes it toll.

Sorry Brian i know you're a big D&R fan but i think it's real crap compared to Sony.
Have you compared the preamps and eqs?

@tony: cool man, glad it works so well..

@mono: i guess it's what youre looking for. i've heard many serious audio guys laugh and make negative remarks about d&r, but i love what it does to my sound. and for the money they go for these days, it's definitely a step or 5 up from any mackie, behringer, spirit, etc. for the same price. even if i compare it directly with something like my mackie onyx live mixer, the difference is unreal. it even compared pretty favourably with the toft atb i tested, though that could also sound very polished which the d&r isn't that good at.

i have to agree with brian that all gear which is either used heavily or taken on tours, stands in a smoking environment, etc will develop issues at some point. in itself thats not a problem, as long as you know it. as i said, cleaning something like a big old mixer is really not that big of a deal.. it just takes time. i've restored all the faders on my d&r, it just took one evening of soldering, a screwdriver, some alcohol, and vaseline to relube them. still works perfect. and if a pot is noisy, you turn them 20 times and 99% of the time the noise will be gone for the rest of the day.

i always feel that if you're serious about using old hardware, you also have to take the time to learn and maintain it.. or get a good tech..:D

rude66 wrote:

@tony: cool man, glad it works so well..

@mono: i guess it's what youre looking for. i've heard many serious audio guys laugh and make negative remarks about d&r,

LOL in the theater en probably elswhere they call it dreun&ruis wink

Total agree all the d&r stuff from before half the 90s is crap.
Can't come close to Sony imho.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

sweet! may i ask how much you've plonked down for it? the last one i've seen over here in switzerland on ebay (still not sold after a few weeks probably due to overprizing) is over 3500 canuck $ which seems a hefty investment, even for such a nice instrument.

Yeah I saw that one, I don't know how much they usually go for, I paid around 1300$ CAD if you include the cost of my road trip.

I don't think they sell easily at 3000$+, but my tech tells me it's worth a fortune in Cs-80 parts :

8 x voice cards @ 300$, Keyboard encoder, Legs, etc.

Don't worry, I have no plans to part it out.

mono-poly wrote:

Total agree all the d&r stuff from before half the 90s is crap.
Can't come close to Sony imho.

Is it really true that a lot of D&R stuff was made at the sociale werkplaats? Or is that an urban myth

Just to add my coin to the D&R discussion:
Mine was in a bassement for 8 years and after that in a student appartement for 5. When I got it it had some problems with channels and for a moment I thought about letting it go but after some research it turned out to be quite simple. I love the sound and won't by any other now...

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Is it really true that a lot of D&R stuff was made at the sociale werkplaats? Or is that an urban myth

And since I live in Spoorwijk I can always find somebody who worked over there wink

TONY COPS wrote:

Don't worry, I have no plans to part it out.

ok, was worried there for a moment...

1,075 (edited by Echolot 2009-11-29 06:19:05)

should i buy a big diaphragm condenser mic or psu + maybe one or two module kits to finally start the modular i wanted for a really long time now..

on the one hand i really like to record sounds and noises in the last time to mess around with them.. pitching and filtering, increasing/decreasing speed and whatnot.. and i only have an really cheap dynamic mic atm, wich just isn't .. sounding good.

then again im really tempted to finally start a modular, wich i've been thinking about for a long time, like said above..

or what do others think what would be a good addition to this setup (can be really anything, thats somehow sound producing/altering/controlling): poly-800, microkorg, yamaha dx9, tr-505/626, doepfer ms-404, roland mc-300, yamaha a5000, old spring reverb, anyware 24dB lowcut

mixing desk, active monitors + pc also present...

maybe some outbordeffects would be also nice, flanger/phaser or delay pedal.. or some multieffects unit.. ive also been thinking about the electro harmonix holy grail.. ah i dunno

got about 200eur to spend

of course in the end it's really a personal thing what to get i guess but open for all suggestions.. lets just put it this way, what would you buy accounting the given set up/budget?

damn maybe i should just go buy some records smile

edit: typos