Re: Should I buy...

Should I buy a MOTU 828MK3?

I want to switch to using my Mac laptop and I want at least 24 ins (other 16 via adat), is the MOTU a good choice?  Do you have other reccomendations?

I would be tempted to go this route as you could use the 8 outs on the MOTU for CV/Gate with something like Volta or SilentWay and still have another 16 inputs via ADAT. 

As far as recommendations, I have an RME Fireface 800 and it kicks ass.  Plenty of inputs.  2 Firewire 800 ports.  I've had mine for 4 years now without a single issue on either my iMac or MBP.

kawai sx-240? im selling my bass station and i know someone that wants to trade their kawai sx-240 for an analog synth. when i looked sx-240 on ebay i saw this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawai-SX-240-Analog … 4152c50ffe

CAN $930 US be right??? holly shit!
I think its the same one thats selling my area but not certain. i swear i remember these going for 150-250 a long time ago. prepal (not that accurate imo) has them for 241. I was gonna ask him for a trade but if they are going for that much then fuck! What prices have u guys seen on those??

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

any opinions of quasimidi polymorph. I hear its good for tangerine dream style music, but im a little confused of its specs. its got 4 parts? whats the most yall would pay for one?

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

1,530 (edited by plikestechno 2010-09-22 22:13:42)

I don't think it's wise to pay more than $500 or so for an SX-240 unless you play it and really love it because if you do love it, they are quite rare. A couple of years ago one could be had for $300 or so but all analog polys seem to be going nuts lately.

I've been very intrigued by the Polymorph for a very long time. I should have held on to my Waldorf Q in the long run. I hear this is somewhat similar but with a much more vintage, full sound to it. They seem to go for around $700-$800. I will probably buy one someday but when they come up I always end up buying modules or local deals instead.

1,531 (edited by Erroraudio 2010-09-23 09:08:37)

SH-2 .... Is one oscillator of the sh-2 the same as a sh-09??? Would sell my sh-09 and go for a sh-2?

There is one up for sale in the area for 530€ but i can sell my sh-09 at around 500€

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

plikestechno wrote:

I don't think it's wise to pay more than $500 or so for an SX-240 unless you play it and really love it because if you do love it, they are quite rare. A couple of years ago one could be had for $300 or so but all analog polys seem to be going nuts lately.

I've been very intrigued by the Polymorph for a very long time. I should have held on to my Waldorf Q in the long run. I hear this is somewhat similar but with a much more vintage, full sound to it. They seem to go for around $700-$800. I will probably buy one someday but when they come up I always end up buying modules or local deals instead.

I had a Polymorph and a Sirius from Quasimidi.

Great features and realtime control, too bad it sounds very mediocre, especially in a mix next to other gear. On its own it is okay.

Has anyone of you got any opinions on Soundcraft Spirit Studio 8 bus? I am being offered one with 24 ch. for something less than 1000eur (maybe 850), comes with a desk and patchbay and snake multicore cable?

mekonin wrote:

Has anyone of you got any opinions on Soundcraft Spirit Studio 8 bus? I am being offered one with 24 ch. for something less than 1000eur (maybe 850), comes with a desk and patchbay and snake multicore cable?

Here are the pictures:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7114/mixer1.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8628/mixer2l.jpg
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9458/mixer3.jpg

I am worried about the state of the mixer, the owner said that he bought it from an art school, so it was probably used for students' practice...

1,535 (edited by alex_d_steak 2010-09-25 19:13:48)

@mekonin

I used that mixer for a couple of years in a squat/occupied place in Florence, I can tell you that it withstanded impossible
situations... like an illegal rave with live performance under a huge tent, that with the sweat of the people started to make
condense water that dripped on the mixer... and nothing happened... smile)))

Seems a bit on the high range of prices, though, if it has been used in a "public" situation...
Maybe try to squeeze 100/200 euros less?

As for the sound of it... it is not bad (still Soundcraft anyways), but don't expect wonders big_smile
Could be a good choice if you want to start with something that is already out of the "amateur" range but not too expensive..

I have a Tascam 1600/24, which could be considered in the same league as that one, although I think that mine has a better EQ section - maybe a little less "warm" than the Soundcraft, but more precise. IMHO, eh? Your mileage may vary smile

a.

Thanks for the response, Alex. I just got off the phone with the seller, he says it's in great shape and not being used by students, but he also mentioned that the mixer has been modified in such that most of the connections has been wired out off the desk and into that not very pretty looking pathbay (if you look closely, at first two pictures, you can see that many of the jack inputs are missing from the desk itself), but also that all connections can be accessed via the multicore cable, if I understood him right. He also agreed to lower the price to 850eur.

I read on gearslutz that the board can be modified extensively to improve the overall sound, and that the stock PSU is not the greatest i.e. it is often too weak to run for example the board plus many mics needing phantom power, did you ever occur any problems with the PSU, Alex?

unicity wrote:

I would be tempted to go this route as you could use the 8 outs on the MOTU for CV/Gate with something like Volta or SilentWay and still have another 16 inputs via ADAT. 

As far as recommendations, I have an RME Fireface 800 and it kicks ass.  Plenty of inputs.  2 Firewire 800 ports.  I've had mine for 4 years now without a single issue on either my iMac or MBP.

I have a MOTU 896HD here on loan now, I just need a cable and I'll try it out.  I'll give Silentway and this http://users.telenet.be/darffader/rv0/ a try.

Erroraudio wrote:

SH-2 .... Is one oscillator of the sh-2 the same as a sh-09??? Would sell my sh-09 and go for a sh-2?

There is one up for sale in the area for 530€ but i can sell my sh-09 at around 500€

Do it do it do it!

They're probably the two closest monos ever built, but the little upgrades are worth it, especially for so little difference.

I sold my SH-09 after getting it restored, it sounded almost identical when using 1 osc on the SH-2.

unicity wrote:

How's your latency with the Fireface?, I use external effects and the "pre-delay" always bugs me a little, It'd be nice if I could get that lower.

mekonin wrote:

Thanks for the response, Alex. I just got off the phone with the seller, he says it's in great shape and not being used by students, but he also mentioned that the mixer has been modified in such that most of the connections has been wired out off the desk and into that not very pretty looking pathbay (if you look closely, at first two pictures, you can see that many of the jack inputs are missing from the desk itself), but also that all connections can be accessed via the multicore cable, if I understood him right. He also agreed to lower the price to 850eur.

I read on gearslutz that the board can be modified extensively to improve the overall sound, and that the stock PSU is not the greatest i.e. it is often too weak to run for example the board plus many mics needing phantom power, did you ever occur any problems with the PSU, Alex?

Concerning the "modding" capabilities, yes, that can be tweaked a lot... and I agree on the PSU being quite small for the
thing... but I can't really tell if it was enough to drive mics with phantom power, because I never used that board with
such mics...

and for the price... 850 euros, with the rewiring ... that doesn't look so good... I think it is still too much.
But if you feel adventurous (and the faders are in good shape!), you might give it a shot..

Please please please test it before giving this guy the money...

a.

TONY COPS wrote:

How's your latency with the Fireface?, I use external effects and the "pre-delay" always bugs me a little, It'd be nice if I could get that lower.

Latency has never been issue for me with external effects, but being that most of them are spring reverbs any pre-delay gets smudged into the effect and isn't really noticeable. 

I can't tell you the exact latency values in Live as I'm stuck with a MBox2 mini right now due to space issues (basement/studio flooded a while back and I'm crammed in the dining room with a minimal setup), but if I remember correctly round-trip latency was around 12ms at with the buffer size sitting at 256 samples.

As a side note, if anyone needs to run a small Pro Tools rig, you should NOT buy an MBox2 Mini.  It sucks.

Thanks,

I'll probably just buy the Motu eventually.  I guess I won't be able to use my space echo in a snd/rtn on the computer until it gets to 0ms anyways.

I typically use the space echo as an insert so yeah.  I guess it all depends on how you want to work.

It's entirely possible to get a lower latency than what I'm reporting as well.  I use a higher buffer size because my iMac is pretty old and gets cranky with lower settings. 

Either way, I'm sure the MOTU will make you happy.

Crumar bit one for 165 pounds?

unicity wrote:

I typically use the space echo as an insert so yeah.  I guess it all depends on how you want to work.

It's entirely possible to get a lower latency than what I'm reporting as well.  I use a higher buffer size because my iMac is pretty old and gets cranky with lower settings. 

Either way, I'm sure the MOTU will make you happy.

I'm sure it will. I wish my space echo had a direct out, I used to own a Korg SE-500 that did, but I'll keep using my Boss DM-100 as my delay send.

1,546 (edited by computerdisco 2010-09-27 16:21:13)

scott_neon wrote:

Crumar bit one for 165 pounds?

Yes and Yes! and if you don't want it I'll have it.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

alex_d_steak wrote:
mekonin wrote:

Concerning the "modding" capabilities, yes, that can be tweaked a lot... and I agree on the PSU being quite small for the
thing... but I can't really tell if it was enough to drive mics with phantom power, because I never used that board with
such mics...

and for the price... 850 euros, with the rewiring ... that doesn't look so good... I think it is still too much.
But if you feel adventurous (and the faders are in good shape!), you might give it a shot..

Please please please test it before giving this guy the money...

a.

Thanks again, Alex.
Surely I will go and try it, although it would cost me some money getting there (also I haven't yet considered the costs of transporting that huge thing all across the country). On the other hand, that rewiring is concerning me, it is supposed to have been done by pro's but what if I would want to sell it sometimes in the future (which will probably happen)? Having second thoughts right now... I will try to lower the price again, how does 700eur sound? smile

@mekonin:

Well, for 700 euros could be ok... although if there is something not properly working, maybe it is not worth all the effort
(price for a modded mixer, plus travel and/or shipping)...

Where is it located?

It is located in Belgrade, and I am not smile I am in Nis, which is in south of Serbia. About 250km from Belgrade.
The seller did mention that at a certain position, the fader on the first channel could make some trouble...

I'm thinking to buy a mono synth.

Korg Mono/Poly
Moog Source
Pro One

All 3 very convincing sounding, but what to choose?
any recommendations??

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows