Topic: Bass Synth

Hey-
So, I'm looking to buy a nice bass synth. I have the MS-20, but it's a little too gritty for my taste. My Juno 106 doesn't get too low without sounding super nasally.  Any suggestions?

Re: Bass Synth

pro one?

yeah, the pro-one sounds like a good idea. thanks-

lol your an easy costumer  smile

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

i just bought seven Pro Ones today. they were just what i was looking for! ;P
actually, i was hoping more people would give suggestions.

as an alternative suggestion, I give you the new Oberheim SEM smile

works wonders smile

a.

SE1-X, Moog Rogue/Prodigy etc., Little phatty, MS 10 sine bass is killler but quite similar to your 20 I guess. Waldorf Pulse/Pulse is meant to be a bass monster and very affordable. Failing that Roland SH 1/2/9 etc.

wait. you bought SEVEN Pro One's?!!!!?

Roland SH101

Maiovvi wrote:

wait. you bought SEVEN Pro One's?!!!!?

yeah, seven pro-one's - just like that? if you're budget was around the £7000 mark then you've kind of overdone it

lol. no, i didn't buy 7 pro-ones. ha
i was responding to ProjectGenocide. would've had to take out a serious bank loan to pull that one off.

anyways, thanks for the recommendations. my friend just bought the Oberheim SEM and he highly recommends it as well.
i used to own the sh-101 but soon sold it because it seemed a bit thin or toyish in sound. as for the SEQ-X or Moog Rogue, i'll look into them. wink

12 (edited by teknob 2010-09-13 19:38:32)

neudphoto wrote:

i used to own the sh-101 but soon sold it because it seemed a bit thin or toyish in sound

I sold one for the same reason years ago. worst mistake ever. I was young, didn't know how to use it properly, and Goa trance was huge at the time, which made me wanna sell the 101 more (because it seemed like every tune had a squeeling 101 in it, and I hated that.

edit: and to add something on topic, you can't go past a juno 6 or 60 with midi, if u have the physical space. nothing at all like a 106

or what about an arp axxe? great little synth

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

teknob wrote:
neudphoto wrote:

i used to own the sh-101 but soon sold it because it seemed a bit thin or toyish in sound

I sold one for the same reason years ago. worst mistake ever. I was young, didn't know how to use it properly, and Goa trance was huge at the time, which made me wanna sell the 101 more (because it seemed like every tune had a squeeling 101 in it, and I hated that.

edit: and to add something on topic, you can't go past a juno 6 or 60 with midi, if u have the physical space. nothing at all like a 106

I hear ya-
i realized i didn't know how to use it properly either. i bought one in tokyo for $300 in mint condition about a year ago. i sold it to my friend in nyc for $550, he then sold it to someone else for $700. wish i held on to it! but now they're on ebay for atleast $800. argh...

as for the juno 6 or 60, i was def thinkin of gettin one. supposed to be much ballsier than the 106 in the bass dept.

ProjectGenocide wrote:

or what about an arp axxe? great little synth

whoa- the arp axxe looks great. wonder where i can find one of those guys. looks rare.

kent spong does some very beautiful restores for rl music in britain. he may have an axxe - would you like contact details?

thing about arp stuff vs korg or roland, is that it is so much more fragile, especially now, after 30 odd years. all of the arps i knew personally are no longer with us. not sure how sequential are in that regard

teknob wrote:

thing about arp stuff vs korg or roland, is that it is so much more fragile, especially now, after 30 odd years. all of the arps i knew personally are no longer with us. not sure how sequential are in that regard

yeah def the components and not the encasement teknob! our omni II could withstand a bomb, built like a tank compared to the plastic pro one.. but our other omni II is having some serious sound issues, which they're known to have.

i swear i've seen sh101's going for less than $800 on ebay, even less than $500 in the states...

worship the potentiometer.

101's usually go for about £400-£500 on ebay in britain

20 (edited by teknob 2010-09-13 21:39:26)

my arp experience was with axxes and odysseys... they just go funny with old age.

neudphoto - you could also check out some of the old yamaha cs monosynths

I reckon you should give the pulse a try. Gets down deep and you can't really go wrong at the £200 odd they're going for.

rloep01 wrote:

neudphoto - you could also check out some of the old yamaha cs monosynths

true- i used to be in a project where my bandmate used the cs-15 on every recording. has a really nice, unique sound to it.

SSM v3 wrote:

I reckon you should give the pulse a try. Gets down deep and you can't really go wrong at the £200 odd they're going for.

just watched a few youtube videos of the Pulse. seems pretty versatile. i also like the fact that it has 3 oscillators. there's one on ebay right now for around $450.

Don't get a sh-101 if you can get a sh-09 insted. Its like a J106 vs. J60.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud