Topic: [GLA] Oni Ayhun (live) // Veronica Vasicka (Minimal Wave)

Huntleys & Palmers Audio Club presents: Oni Ayhun (live) // Veronica Vasicka (Minimal Wave)

ONI AYHUN live
VERONICA VASICKA (Minimal Wave)
THE VILLAGE ORCHESTRA (Numbers)

Stereo, Glasgow
October 30, at 11-4am

Re: [GLA] Oni Ayhun (live) // Veronica Vasicka (Minimal Wave)

Really looking forward to this. Heres the blurb. Anybots going? I'm mega skint & you all owe me a few  big_smile Oh & it would be nice to see you of course  tongue

ONI AYHUN live
ALEX SMOKE
VERONICA VASICKA (Minimal Wave)
...THE VILLAGE ORCHESTRA (Highpoint Lowlife)

Contrary to the current media hype surrounding his peers, Oni Ayhun doesn't do press releases, doesn't have his picture sprawled across Resident Advisor to accompany his punctually drab monthly chart and doesn't do whiny interviews. Instead, shrouded in mystery, each release appears with little fanfare: causing maximum impact. Threading techno from its Detroit roots via bleepy minimal Berlin raves - with material this solid, the rest is irrelevant.

After his recent departure, we welcome back Glasgow son done good, Alex Smoke. Alex has set up shop in London where he's busy working on new material, running his Hum+Haw imprint - where he released his 3rd album Lux earlier this year to much acclaim. Both his live and DJ sets are dancefloor destroyers and he's been on our wishlist since H&P's infancy. Excited is an understatement.

We've been big fans of Veronica Vasicka's Minimal Wave label which is responsible for discovering forgotten nuggets from the cold wave / minimal synth era and sprucing them up with a deserving reissue. The label counts fans across the globe - recently cemented with Stones Throw releasing a compilation.

2010 has been a good year for The Village Orchestra with his debut EP being lauded by everyone of note, from The Wire to FACT. He's set to release an East London inspired album on Highpoint Lowlife and his DJ sets are unmissable - taking in anything from Coil and La Dusseldorf to Ramadanman and Lil Wayne.

I'm gonna give it a miss....Alex Smoke is utter bawz, plus the recent chat about Ms Vasicka dj's skillz dont exactly make me all that excited. Probly save my money and do the double header next wkend of Space Dimension Controller on Friday & I-f on the Sat.

Let's get Dumb

Space Dimension Controller is nails.

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

@dumbbot - come on man you've enjoyed other nights with some of our heros.. for the tunes (& the spiritual bonding & the laughs) not for the skilz! but totally understand if you are rooked. i am too.  sad

@dumbbot good selection by veronica, not a hint of italo last night very synthy. her fading in & out just made me appreciate yous that can mix even more. for me, worse than the lack of a mix was the disgraceful juvenile behaviour by the men, kinda made me lose heart a little.  sad
programming poss meant a fragmented crowd, coupled with halloweeners - who would prob have gone to the venue regardless? - id say there was very few there really into the music. was actually really interesting to hear Alex's minimal-techno-acidy-housey-live set. dunno how but i missed oni ayhun, got caught talking to someone a pal at the bar  roll

Yeah, really enjoyed Veronica. Ruins, Iko 83, Split Second, Experimental Products.

Found Oni Ayhun a bit dull.

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."

8 (edited by DumbBot 2010-10-31 20:46:33)

Cheers for the downlow guys.... srry i couldn't be there...think im coming down wi smth really nasty neutral .Halloween is only good to get yer perv on about the city, guess the lads were all sex-pesting Ms Vasicka..i hope you behaved yourself robbie lol

Let's get Dumb

DumbBot wrote:

Cheers for the downlow guys.... srry i couldn't be there...think im coming down wi smth really nasty neutral .Halloween is only good to get yer perv on about the city, guess the lads were all sex-pesting Ms Vasicka..i hope you behaved yourself robbie lol

Good as gold man, bar maybe a few roars and a hand groping into the Dj booth at one point  wink
All set for I-F nxt?

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."

@ karamanga
"...the lack of a mix..."
-> i would say fading in and out is quite normal if you play minimal synth (actually back in the days they didn't even fade in and fade out. but used to play every track from the beginning until the end with little breaks in between).
that kind of music is not really made for mixing. a lot of that stuff is unmixable. of course you can always try it, but in most cases it'll sound awful and will ruin the tracks. so it's better to play track by track.

Indeed minimal synth is no disco...there is no break, there are strong melodies or vocals that will crash into each other, the songs are really short, abrupt endings or shifts, baaaad soundquality and lack of compression makes it a bitch to hear the beat, rhythm is many times drifting and so on. Try it :-)

I once did a beat to beat minimal synth mix and it was a lot of work. Had to do every mix in itself and edit the lot together . Result was interesting but not really fitting to this kind of music.

Fading in and out is the way to deal with this music imo, works great.

Thanks for the info people i take every word back in that case, and yes i love this forum for that. the few synth tracks i have i always try to mix, but usually into other styles. its no secret im learning to mix so all tips i get are lapped up around here  smile
i still find it strange to hear lulls in the music when im out, but then perhaps thats testament to the rarity of pure minimal nights on here. however like i said veronicas music itself was choice, even better now i know she shouldnt have been mixing. wink
shame none of my 'geeky' mates could tell me that on the night, but i guess they too busy playing the school boys  big_smile

I think it's all about the flow (to use a cliché)...when a song is winding down and you start another one up they can pleasantly fall into each other like a tidal wave. My experience is outside of dj's nobody notices smile

--/~~~~ wrote:

I think it's all about the flow (to use a cliché)...when a song is winding down and you start another one up they can pleasantly fall into each other like a tidal wave. My experience is outside of dj's nobody notices smile

True. and for minimal wave, funk, wave and other problaby a lot of otther kinds of music this is fine imo.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
--/~~~~ wrote:

True. and for minimal wave, funk, wave and other problaby a lot of otther kinds of music this is fine imo.

still its always funny to see how djs think fading-in and out compared to beat-mixing is easy.. 9 out of 10 times its a big blur and mess smile

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:
S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
--/~~~~ wrote:

still its always funny to see how djs think fading-in and out compared to beat-mixing is easy.. 9 out of 10 times its a big blur and mess smile

yes timing needs to be precise; the right moment, the fading not too short and definately not too long.

Sorry, for once I have to disagree with you guys on this...

I think minimal-synth and wave is not impossible to mix and I'm surprised more people don't try it.
The few beat-matched synth mixes I've heard have been really cool and enjoyable (e,r - "Farukt Madchen" and Galliano - "Modern Dancing" for example)

Tracks of the genre seem to mostly fall within 120-125bpm, 145-150 bpm or half/double speed 80/160 bpm meaning with a little planning it's possible to string quite a few together, especially with a little help from a CDJ to extend some of those one-bar intros.
As mentioned it definitely suits better a style of short mixing between the outro of one track and the intro of the next, but I think this can add something to the feeling and momentum of a set.

just my 2 cents wink

Any chance to upload the mix you referred to Kris? I'd be interested to hear it.

18 (edited by --/~~~~ 2010-11-06 12:03:53)

mix is online at vulcanoid.fr/stories called: the liminoid subjunctive. Hope you like it.
Tracklisting is wrong btw from 13 - 17 not sure what happened there. Should be after Dark Day: Dave Ball - In Strict Tempo, Lee Negin - Nothing Goes right, Inertia - injury Time, Les Visiteurs Du Soir - Je t'ecris and Ian North - Romance.
Abrupt ending of Auschwitz was how the song ended...no fading out. Nice example how it can be tricky to fade out cause there's so much happening in the final part of the song.
Hval Mus was one of the most difficult songs i ever tried to beatmatch :-)

hysteric: you are right, with today's dj tools mixing the impossible becomes possible if you are willing to do some work..

-make your own edits with added breaks or mix in/out points
-use the loop functions in your digital mixing equipment
-if you use a laptop, beatgrid the tracks

etc etc.

as much charm as dj-ing this stuff from vinyl has, mixing is indeed next to impossible. but if you do it digital anyway, it works.
or use some mixable tracks inbetween, there is plenty of stuff that would fit a minimal wave set that has 'proper'mixing points. tracks like experimental products-glowing in the dark, etc..

well, I agree with QoB, a lot of music isn't made for mixing. And a lot of wave and EBM kind of stuff isnt that hard to mix but there is a lot of difference in tempo (unlike certain house genres) and also there is a strong connection to rock music wich has a different timing than electronic stuff. There are 1001+ ways to mix/sequence records and at some occasions beatmatching is one of them smile

TB or not TB