Re: Tinnitus

i was speaking to richard norris, the grid is his band, and he was saying he can't remember the last time he 'heard' silence.
he uses transcendental meditation on a daily basis to deal with it.

funny story how we met, on a guided walking tour of london

keep hackney crap

52 (edited by karamanga 2011-07-22 08:58:12)

jacderida wrote:

these + this will help you a lot if like me your tinnitus is annoying enough to disturb your sleeping.

you can install that thing on the iPhone and put a timer on it so that it will automatically switch off and not wake you up when you've managed to fall asleep.

I think I'd actually use these even if I didn't have tinnitus as I was always a pretty bad sleeper anyway.

hey! do you really use the headphone thing or are you joking? Would headphones of any sort make your tinnitus worse in the long run? i only ask as ive stopped using headphones altogether as mine has got significantly worse in the last two years and i miss my ipod  sad

53 (edited by jacderida 2011-07-22 13:32:11)

I wish that I was joking kara, but mine was/is so bad after getting that syringing that I can't go to sleep without them. Those headphones are comfy enough to sleep with. When I use them at night it's at a low volume and I'm just listening to sounds like rain and thunderstorms and stuff like that. Sounds cheesy, but it's actually relaxing and it's loud enough to drown out the noise from the tinnitus. I've not noticed the tinnitus getting worse at all.

I don't use earphones on my ipod now tho, and at work now I just use big headphones instead of earphones at a loud volume (which I used to do).

Honestly tho, I think as long as you keep your earphones at a reasonable volume you'll be fine, don't think that it would make your tinnitus any worse. I'm just paranoid after a month of sleep deprived hell smile. So I'm not gonna use mine again with the ipod or at work.

edit - btw, it has improved a wee bit in the last few weeks, that's why I said "is/was"

in may mine was acting up a lot, so much that one night my tinnitus wouldn't let me sleep so the only thing i could think of to do was jam so started to draw inspiration from the eeeeeee/ringing sounds! i ended up making a track dedicated to my tinnitus big_smile 

also i was talking about tinnitus with someone the other day and they were saying how tinnitus can be a symptom of elevated blood pressure, so just plain stress could be linked to one of the causes of tinnitus! i'm pretty sure mine developed after repeated concussions to the head though. sad  no fun, but instead of getting upset at the sounds and noises i can't control or manipulate myself i try to meditate or make the best out of my tinnitus somehow like trying to let it inspire me that one night i couldn't sleep tongue

yeah, stress is definitely a major factor in it.

once you become acutely aware of the sound, your brain associates a negative psychological connection with it, and so then you listen to it more, which makes you stress more, and hence the noise becomes louder, which is a vicious cycle. for me it also appeared in my OTHER ear after stressing about for a few days. I'm really not sure if that was the result of stress or just a delayed physical thing from the syringing. it's slowly faded into the background for me now and after using the headphones + ambiance - I haven't stopped to pay attention to it for nearly a month now and have been sleeping well.

it seems that once you don't pay attention to it your brain starts to 'habituate'. at least that's in my case where the noise isn't really that bad. I read about people like soldiers who developed it after being exposed to loud gunshots or something like that - I'd imagine in those cases the noise is so loud that it's just beyond being able to deal with it with a little bit of habituation and psychology. I've got true sympathy for people suffering like that.

btw, found some other sleeping headphones:
http://store-4cf2b.mybigcommerce.com/pr … hones.html

didn't buy them yet though, but I might when I get paid this month.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=16883