Topic: Linux

Ok, I had a quick search on the forum, but it came up with quite an old topic, and not exactly what Im after.

I'm looking into installing Linux on my music laptop and Ive got a few questions...

Is it safer and faster than using a windows PC?
Do I need to be able to program to use it purely as an OS?
I use Ableton 7 and a number of VSTs, can I install and run these as normal on Linux?

cheers,

P.

Re: Linux

No, you can't. Ableton is developed for Mac OSX and Windows only. Of course you could e.g. run Ableton in Wine, but I really don't see the point of that.

The main problem with Linux is that there's not much music software developed for it. I'm sure that Linux would be more than capable of running music software smoothly, but there's not enough $$ in the Linux market for software companies to start developing software for it.

fair enough... Ill stick with windows.
cheers man

I have an XP PC that pretty much just runs Ableton, I wish there would be a way to streamline things even more but it's fast and stable enough.

p-tu wrote:

The main problem with Linux is that there's not much music software developed for it.

I invite you to give a read to this page:

http://sound.condorow.net/ (general info)
http://sound.condorow.net/distro.html (specific page with audio-oriented distributions)

and after you have read it please reconsider your statement big_smile big_smile big_smile

Seriously, you can use Linux to make music if you want to, and at a professional level too...
I have the drivers for my Layla3G working perfectly with Alsa audio subsystem, tried recording 8 channels
with the 8 outputs onlined as well... no dropouts (with the realtime kernel), latency 3ms.

The drawback? Well, none that I could find compared to my Windows setup I had before...
(Bear in mind that I don't use software synthesizers)

Of course, one has to learn how to use a *nix based OS... tongue tongue tongue

a.

Well I was aware that there is some music software for Linux, but I meant like big commercial products with lots and lots of plugins etc. None of the major sequencers / DAWs are developed for Linux.

EnergyXT2 supports Linux, although the native version doesn't support all the windows based vst plugins. But it also runs just as good (if not better) on Wine after some realtime kernel tweaking etc together with all the plugins you can throw at it.

I remember running my low-end laptop with a generic usb midi interface at 100% cpu load (running about eight instances of mplayer in the background) with zero dropouts on the midi sync stream running a dinsync converter. Totally rock solid.

Monkey see, monkey do.

EnergyXT2 is buggy as hell ..

Not my experience at all. Compared to Ableton it's much more tight and reliable code, atleast on Windows (and Wine).

Monkey see, monkey do.

Hey,
there is quite a community for Linux audio and a lot of research and developement done on the matter.
check out: http://lac.linuxaudio.org/
look into recent years, these have more detailed websites and you can get access to plenty of info and resources!
one good thing about the open source community- everyone is very eager to help!

cheers and good luck!