Topic: Hi-Fi Stereo Receiver / Amplifier Tips

I'm looking for something to drive some 70's (?) Fisher 8 Ohm speakers a friend of mine found on the street. I'm looking for something second hand. Any recommendations, what should I look out for?

Danke

2 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-21 04:04:21)

Re: Hi-Fi Stereo Receiver / Amplifier Tips

The Quad 34 or 44 preamp with a 405 amp was the audiophile's chose during the 70's.

Pioneer also made some really cool super amps (LOTS of watts) during the 70's that sound great, if those speakers you have are hard to push which they could be as they are 8 ohm.

remember that old amps may have capacitors that are bad or will soon dry out. the quads are super easy to fix but if you don't like soldering irons just get something newish instead...

3 (edited by David Vunk 2008-08-21 12:49:15)

i'm with poodle  for the quad

i have the quad 303   1976   i think one of the best amp. ever

i have the pre amp too but i don't use it wink ))))   no  on/of button   no knobs   always on power  lol

i use master vol.   on my dateq for volume.

if you search good you can find it for cheap

i recently found an NAD (New Acoustic Dimension) Stereo Power Amp for $10 at a thrift store.  i've been running all my sources direct into it through a little passive mixer (turntable through a separate preamp) and it sounds great--warm, romantic sound and way more alive and detailed than the Technics receiver i was using before.  my NAD is newer, but their '70s designs are supposed to be classics of home audiophile gear.

Thanks for all the advice ... will certainly come in useful.

Kinoeye I've seen NAD stuff on e-bay ... looked nice.

I just picked up a NAD amplifier and a pair of Quadral speakers from late 80's for