Topic: Dave Smith/Roger Linn "Tempest" drum machine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRD8f5BJ … embedded#![/youtube]

2 (edited by TONY COPS 2011-01-13 18:41:51)

Re: Dave Smith/Roger Linn "Tempest" drum machine

I just went "no way" when I saw your title, just when everyone had given up hope on their drum machine project.

Funny to see two old dudes do IDM too smile

I think it sounds very good, the sounds are a bit Linn-like and some synth like percussion also reminded me of the Pro-one.

Plus the looks are not offensive, surprisingly.

All I know for sure after seeing this video is that Roger Linn should be narrating children's stories.  Such a chilled out and comforting grandpa voice!  I had no idea.

fortunately he exclaimed his excitement because there was no way to tell otherwise

not bad.. exept for the audio mix balance on that video

i enjoyed watching linn's crazy hand action as he was making a beat. smile

i also dug the casualness of the video. linn could def be making audio books unicity!

worship the potentiometer.

He really slaps the thing like he's slapping a drum or something.

I like it a lot. As promised, it is like an updated Linn Drum and with analog. Hooray for them. Nice design, nice footprint. Lots of really good options.

But that said with that kind of price tag I'll just stick with my current machines and analog sound makers. If I didn't have them all this might be a strong consideration. Would be a tough decision for anyone thinking of buying a machinedrum right now.

plikestechno wrote:

But that said with that kind of price tag I'll just stick with my current machines and analog sound makers. If I didn't have them all this might be a strong consideration. Would be a tough decision for anyone thinking of buying a machinedrum right now.

Yup, looks like a good investment.

TB or not TB

great vid, you can tell how sincere all the praise of the machine is. not to mention that it looks like a super cool device! just one thing makes me sad about it and that is the price. oh well, could probably trade most of my modest setup for it without any regrets.

10 (edited by no-fi 2011-01-14 08:44:11)

I don't think the price is that steep. it's definitely above the league of the machinedrum in terms of hardware (real analogue voices, plus nice drum pads, and the cool litte touch ribbons!) and it's around the same basic price area.

to me it looks like a kickass version of the korg ER-1 (which I had and basically liked the idea, but sold because it was too digital sounding and lagged really badly when synched to my other gear) so not so strong as a solo drum machine, but something really great for electro percussion.

I'm probably going to end up buying one.

11 (edited by cimabot 2011-01-14 09:11:00)

Now I'm unsure if Roger Linn or Patrick Stewart should read me stories before falling asleep
edit: big_smile
the little machine is amazingly engineered and sounds very good imo. A Vermona DRM on serious, serious steroids, but that doesn't nail it either... 4 osc per voice!

looks beautiful, but pricey and am i the only person who thinks the pads should be in one row of 16??

The only big problem is the lack of sampling ability. I imagine that will be the focus of Roger's Linndrum II version... Reckon they should have combined the two and made it a real studio brain. Pretty epic anyway though, especially for playing live!

didn't they say you can load waveforms form flash memory? not exactly sampling, but still.

record function is almost obsolete on a sampler these days aside from a live application and this machine can do all the other stuff too.

Roger Linn should do a sample pack of his silky smooth voice saying various things. The drum machine looks pretty cool but I'm going to wait until the second (more Linn oriented) machine comes out before making a decision. Not that I actually need a seventh drum machine.......

Do you count those two 808s?

I live drum machines, I used to have several but now I'm down to three (808,Linndrum,Kr-55), I think this one is really cool but unless they make a 1982 looking version, I will be able to resist.

Apparently you can also plug in a midi controller and use this thing as a 6-voice analog polysynth.  That's pretty cool. Certainly extends the usefulness of such an expensive piece of gear.

I think it looks fantastic, a great design.  I guess it will compete with the machinedrum and jomox as high end drum machines.  But the ability to plug in and control it as a (evolver/tetra style) polyphonic synth will be great and really puts the price in perspective.  Loadable waveforms would probably be good if it comes in a later OS but lack of sampling doesn't bother me, theres plenty good samplers out there but hasnt been a decent analog drum machine for ages.  I never bought anything expensive+new but am getting really excited about this. Like linn says, he's designed it around a good workflow and you don't need to stop play as you change edit styles.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1308/rogerdavesmithwithprodu.jpg

21 (edited by Orbweaver 2011-01-15 20:38:00)

It's nice to see they've spared using the prototype name.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/boomchik.shtml

Cool machine... But blue leds???? When will the terror end!!!!!

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

TONY COPS wrote:

I live drum machines, I used to have several but now I'm down to three (808,Linndrum,Kr-55), I think this one is really cool but unless they make a 1982 looking version, I will be able to resist.

Yes I count the two 808s as two separate drum machines. One has an unusual mod where you can route other sounds through it which replace the noise generator, so you get weird sounding hi-hats, toms etc. It also has a kill switch for the clap reverb.

I've always toyed with the idea of getting a Linndrum too actually, but keep telling myself I already have too much stuff.

skkatter wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

Yes I count the two 808s as two separate drum machines. One has an unusual mod where you can route other sounds through it which replace the noise generator, so you get weird sounding hi-hats, toms etc. It also has a kill switch for the clap reverb.

I've always toyed with the idea of getting a Linndrum too actually, but keep telling myself I already have too much stuff.

Cool mod, who did it? Is it documented somewhere?

TONY COPS wrote:

Cool mod, who did it? Is it documented somewhere?

This guy did the mod: http://electricmusicbox.com/
I bought it off some other guy who had gotten the mod done already so I don't have any documentation on it but apparently it's not that tricky. I've heard that Robin "Devilfish" Whittle also does or did the same 808 mods too.