Topic: Tascam 414 sync signal audible on normal audio outputs

I got a Tascam 414 but when I record with it I can hear screeching data sounds on the background, I guess this is the sync signal? Is this normal or is there something wrong?

Re: Tascam 414 sync signal audible on normal audio outputs

Maybe you're experiencing EVP aka ELECTRONIC VOICE PHENOMENON

3 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-01-31 17:44:49)

I dunno them Tascam's, but in general the sync can be audible due to print through or crosstalk. Print through: try different (new) tapes, or don't re-use them. Crosstalk is where the signal of one channel 'bleeds' onto another... Not much you can do if that's the case. If you can, record the signal at a lower volume or put the sync signal on the outer track and record only on track 1 and 2, but it looks like the 414 already records sync only on track 4. It might also get better when the recorder get's recalibrated...

Are you actually recording a sync signal onto one of the tracks?

As you probably know, the 414 has a special sync out socket on the back that outputs the data from track 4, even when the mix faders are down, if I remember correctly. Make sure the aux sends are off for the channel as well.

And yeah, as Brian said, there's crosstalk pretty much no matter what you do, but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

My 414 used to go mad if I recorded anything too loud on track one. Maybe it's a similar problem you're having? I think the electronix in them are pretty low grade generally. I get a kind of popping noise from the LED meters sometimes too.

I'm pretty sure you can record the sync track with the volume fader down so that it doesn't get routed to the main mix.