Topic: Panning drums in electronic music...

I suppose everybody has his/her own way of panning electronic drum sounds, but I wondered through your comments whether there's a standard method of doing such a thing...

Your answers are much appreciated!

Re: Panning drums in electronic music...

Not really, basicly there is one rule if you want to press on vinyl don't pan the kick drum.
I just use the panpot on the mixer mostly for toms and shit like that, it can become really spacious. Also percussion sounds like star chimes are good panned.
A good trick to get a more spacious sound is to slighly pan certain parts, like cabbasalines or hats, just maybe 10% to the left or right.

You could take the acoustic drummer approach and pan according to the typical drummers' perspective, e.g. hats to the left, snare a little less left, kick in the center, crash a bit to the right, ride a bit farther to the right, and toms left, center, right. 

Reverse this and you'd get the audience perspective.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Not really, basicly there is one rule if you want to press on vinyl don't pan the kick drum.
I just use the panpot on the mixer mostly for toms and shit like that, it can become really spacious. Also percussion sounds like star chimes are good panned.
A good trick to get a more spacious sound is to slighly pan certain parts, like cabbasalines or hats, just maybe 10% to the left or right.

i second that keep the bass centered. effects or stabs are good for some pan action.

GREETZ!

pan all of your drums hard left, and all of your vocals hard right.

Like old jazz tunes. ^

Besides keeping the bass or kick drums centered, I don't pan any drum/perc sound more than 15%, usually it's under 10%. I always think of a live drummer too and try to create that "image", as if the listener were to be in a room with said drummer in my tracks.

There are of course no absolutes and everything depends on its context (unless you're gonna cut vinyl or have other technical limits) so, if it works for your track, it works.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Communicator wrote:

There are of course no absolutes and everything depends on its context (unless you're gonna cut vinyl or have other technical limits) so, if it works for your track, it works.

Well, I never cut to vinyl, so knowing more about that helps too.
BTW, thanks for the help guys!

if you want to pan so it has the sound stage of an accoustic drumkit, you should remember that the person with the widest perspective of the drums is the drummer.... cause they're right in the middle of the kit. Nobody else is, and so no-one else gets anything like the stereo effect they get.

Woody Aki wrote:

Well, I never cut to vinyl, so knowing more about that helps too.
BTW, thanks for the help guys!

You're welcome. See also the CBS topic: Bass on vinyl

I'm assuming though that during the summing process there may be some phase cancellation, ie: the bass will get wimpy and cancel out?

Hardcore audio bots please report.

Is it correct that in clubs everything allways is played mono?

Will nicely panned tracks allways sound good when you go back to mono?

No most clubs have stereo soundsystems, there are some that just have mono P.A's

Worth reading: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/a … reomix.htm

@ Cosmo: No. In fact, depending on the phase cancellation that happens when you switch to mono, some elements might almost disappear from a mix. I've heard of big shot hit producer/mixers being in a cafe or whatever with a PA and hearing their track played (after being mono-summed) and having the drums, or pads or what have you gone from the mix. yikes

http://www.audiocourses.com/article1664.html

Yes, well, music is mostly listened to stereo these days. I think less and less people pay attention to stereo phase.

Although I have seen some weird stereo configurations in clubs. The most ridiculous was:
Left channel was connected to speakers that were on stage.
Right channel was connected to 6 "surround" speakers that were installed around the dancefloor.

Maybe I wouldn't have noticed that, but the band that was playing suddenly lost L ch on one track so it became obvious.

Anyway whoever connected the cables must have been stoned or something.

ok. so much to the topic "don't believe everything you hear" :-)

Interesting links Communicator. Thanks

15 (edited by herman13 2008-09-01 19:17:21)

btw. online record stores usually provide pre-listening files in mono...

but using every available stereo widener in a row AND staying 99% mono compatible is possible...

Mono drums rulez

Derrick May was often very creative with panning the drums

panning a mono channel doesnt makes stereo...

If you want to create stereo dynamics try the 'Haas effect'
Its based on working with short delays/reverbs creating early reflections to place your sound/instrument.
Ears wont recognize it as an effect because of the short delays/reverbs but it will create a stereo ambiance by panning the dry signal to the other channel as the effect.

And like smockas said, better keep low frequencies mono on vinyl to avoid phase/skipping/incorrect grooves problems... And some on soundsystems/PA's low is connected mono and mid/hi stereo..

TB or not TB