Topic: Soundcloud rejecting a mix because of copyright/licensing.

Anyone had this before? Tried to upload a mix with a Kraftwerk track in it. It uploaded without problems upto the point of creating the waveform. I tried the same thing three times, but it got stuck each time.

When I tried refreshing the page, I got a message from souncloud saying something like:

"Our automatic content protection system has detected that your upload ... may contain content that is owned or administered by EMI Germany. As a result, we have paused the upload of your audio for the time being.

If you are the original creator of the audio in all its parts, or have obtained all necessary licenses and permissions to upload and share this content, please contact us using the form below."...

Should I be expecting German lawyers at my doorstep anytime soon?

2 (edited by ytz 2011-05-22 20:09:23)

Re: Soundcloud rejecting a mix because of copyright/licensing.

just don't upload with kraftwerk in the tracklisting

tracklisting is where the lawyer bots get you.

--- and no that's pretty much an early warning system for you and for soundcloud, keep uploading tracklists with kraftwerk in them and you'll get a ticket tho i imagine

cuties don't exert

there is no tracklist available, only the mp3 file. they must've recognised it from the waveform?

anyway, just sent EMI Deutschland a polite email and made a new mix (without ze germans in it)

they used to scan the tracklists, but i thinkit wasn't acurate (when you wrote "they sound like kraftwerkt" etc blabla...)
now they use the audiofingerprinting method, and they don't need the tracklist.

you can use mixcloud. it's legal! but this is streaming only.

actually kraftwerk is well known for stuff like this... they have their eyes and ears everywhere!

elec pt.1
2009-08-19 10:53:27
i had it 2times that i was selling kraftwerk records on ebay, one dmc record with a remix of "tour de france", the other was the bootleg on "ballroom", both where ban by ebay, they mailed me something like "we got an advice from the lawyers of schneider + hutter gbr that your items are against their copyright law" blabla. the second time of it i had to make a kind of test on ebay with questions like "you need a picture for your auction, where can you get it: 1. you shoot it yourself, 2. you get it from an other auction ect" they say, if i dont make the test or do not pass i will be banned forever on ebay...

streppe wrote:

time for a robotdj account i guess. but i like the fancy soundcloud features so much..  tongue

had the same thing with pink floyd on ebay, they are putting lots of efforts in stuff like that instead of releasing good music

Vlam Aan

Zubeldia wrote:
streppe wrote:

time for a robotdj account i guess. but i like the fancy soundcloud features so much..  tongue

i listen a lot to soundcloud, but i think it's better for tracks.
mixcloud has some nice features: when you click on an artist, you can see all the 'cloudcasts' with tracks of the artist. nice to find new dj's radioshow, podcasts etc.

Let's burn all of our Kraftwerk records.

"A Real Music Hater"

A lot of people on DJhistory had this problem. There they thought the software seemed only to scan the mix for the first track or maybe first 5 minutes. I find it hard to believe that the software can cope with it (given the number of files uploaded), but it seems to work!

mcdan77 wrote:

maybe first 5 minutes

it was the first track of the mix.. tongue

yes also had that.. it was rejected because it had a track from Chris Carter in it.

really good free soundcloud alternative: www.official.fm

I use this a couple of months now and i'm realyy happy with it, and it has no 2 hour limitation.

mixcloud has also no limit.

Hey, I also got a Kraftwerk Track 8Tour de France) in my mix but there was no Problem with it. But it's way after 5 minutes.

Welcome to the Future...

Check Mate wrote:

But it's way after 5 minutes.

will test that out sometime.

streppe wrote:

mixcloud has also no limit.

but you can't download with mixcloud wink

would be interested to know if they can detect when the tracks are beyond 5 minutes.

youtube has the ability to scan every frame of a video as it's being uploaded to compare it against a colossal database of copyrighted material, but you need an absolutely incredible amount of computing resources to do it.

would be surprised if soundcloud have that at their disposal...

kuczera wrote:

they are putting lots of efforts in stuff like that instead of releasing good music

couldn't agree more

"A Real Music Hater"

I am amazed.

The need to streamline this software must be why last.fm is asking for volunteers:
http://blog.last.fm/2011/05/12/slow-or- … -your-ears

Oh the irony

cuties don't exert

I had a case like this with a L.F.O track in soundcloud.

I remade the mix without this track and that's it!

No more LFO's track in my mixes.... and no kraftwerk I guess!

big_smile

yes that's probably THE solution to sell more records.

"A Real Music Hater"

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:
kuczera wrote:

they are putting lots of efforts in stuff like that instead of releasing good music

couldn't agree more

I agree, but they probably let the actual efforts be done by others.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

could be but that type of activities really works on my nerves, it's so narrowminded. I mean, it's a mix ffs, it's 100% promo for the artists (if the tracklist is included of course)and when it's played with vinyl or CD's it means the DJ has BOUGHT the music whatsoever so what's the fucking point of all this? I know f.e. that Namlook isn't happy when his music is used or uploaded on youtube BUT if you mention his name and all the other info, or if you provide a tracklist, he's 200% ok with it and that's the way it has to be because he always says: it's free publicity for my music and that can only be a good thing.

"A Real Music Hater"

to bad that the world gets more complicated by the year.. it's all so easy if we just didn't invent money

Vlam Aan

or pride