Topic: Flying With Gear?

Whats the best way to transport gear overseas, I'm more worried about keyboard synths than the drum machines?

I've gotten two bits of advice so far...

1. bubble wrap everything up as much as possible and use regular keyboard bag (the cheap option)
2. Buy a flight case (the not so cheap option)

any advice from robots on what to do here?

Re: Flying With Gear?

maybe the promoters/organizers can fix/arrange the gear you use so you dont have to bring (everything).

I would try carrying small stuff as hand-luggage and for large stuff I would recommend a flightcase..

TB or not TB

when I was doing the improv shows I had a suitcase which was large enough for the microkorg and I just packed it with my clothes / magical fish blanket (super secret weapon of the touring musician) and it was always ok. Bubblewrap is a good idea. But I put stuff in a big suitcase.

But Freek is right, if you have something specific and not too hard to come by then ask the promoter.

Maiovvi wrote:

magical fish blanket (super secret weapon of the touring musician)

the secret's out

cuties don't exert

It's a kind of magic

FISH BLANKET! GET ONE NOW!

thanks guys, some good advice... including the fish blanket wink

one day we'll sit down have a pint of Guinness and I will explain the fish blanket origin story. I can assure you it is far more interesting than Batman, Superman and The Hulk's origin story put together, maybe not as good as Rorschach's one though...

never check in your gear. make your setup so small, it can come with you as hand luggage. thats the only safe way, for the rest youre in the hands of luggage handlers.. i know so many cry stories about broken gear from flights its not even funny.

baggage handlers are also known more appropriately as "throwers"

As much as I love seeing other people use hardware on stage, there's no way I'd bring any of my gear into some filthy nightclub to get beer spilled on it, except for a few cheap and replaceable things I own.

I've seen Automatic Tasty bring a Roland SH5 out to gigs in Dublin with him, madness. If I owned one of them it'd be on an altar in my living room, never to be moved.

ow come on, thats what they are made for. to be used.

actually an sh5 is so sturdy it'll survive almost anything. most 70's gear is. in my younger days when i still lived at home, i transported an ms20 or 10 for years in the front basket on my mum's bike. it bounced around for the whole ride, got wet, cold, hot.. and the thing always worked.

I'm really serious about Fish Blanket. Do I need to post a picture of (now) legendary fish blanket in order for y'all to make the understanding? wink

rude66 wrote:

actually an sh5 is so sturdy it'll survive almost anything. most 70's gear is. in my younger days when i still lived at home, i transported an ms20 or 10 for years in the front basket on my mum's bike. it bounced around for the whole ride, got wet, cold, hot.. and the thing always worked.

They're not making any of the 70s gear any more though. I'd prefer to risk my laptop getting smashed up than an EMS Synthi or something similar.

Maiovvi wrote:

I'm really serious about Fish Blanket. Do I need to post a picture of (now) legendary fish blanket in order for y'all to make the understanding? wink

I'm curious.  A search on google only brings up fish pattern blankets.

I guarantee disappointment

I got a sturdy live case i dare to check in.
The other stuff goes with me as hand luguage.
Always smart to sort out what you can take with you.
You can go upto 12kg with hand luguage and 23 or 32 kg regular lugage.
And i think you can take a laptop with you even if you got a hand luguage suitcase.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

rude66 wrote:

Agreed! What's the point of having the good stuff if you keep it locked up? It needs to roam free. If I ever had gigs I'd definitely take some of the older stuff with me. I remember seeing Cosmic Force play ages ago rocking out his MS20. Was awesome.

skkatter wrote:

I've seen Automatic Tasty bring a Roland SH5 out to gigs in Dublin with him, madness. If I owned one of them it'd be on an altar in my living room, never to be moved.

Oh come on, it can take it..

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/photos/waveform/2007/Waveform07-EatStatic-KW09.jpg

big_smile

Maiovvi wrote:

I guarantee disappointment

That could be my tagline

SSM v3 wrote:

I remember seeing Cosmic Force play ages ago rocking out his MS20. Was awesome.

I remember seeing the very same MS20 falling a good two meters from stage  big_smile

and you know what? he still has it and it still works..;-)

im not surprised... it seemed to work just fine afterwards when it was time for him to play. however the guy knocking it over turned slightly red.

hans olof wrote:

im not surprised... it seemed to work just fine afterwards when it was time for him to play. however the guy knocking it over turned slightly red.

Ha ha I can imagine. Respect to him for not being too prissy and letting it be appreciated in it's natural habitat. Btw, I remember he was awesome on it, got some of the sweetest and most atypical sounds I've ever heard from an MS20.

Ha yeah the Cosmic Force MS20... I remember it arriving in Detroit completely busted with broken keyboard and sides, it looked very bad but it just kept working. Last time I saw it he cut of the entire keyboard.

yes, he did.. its like my yamaha cs10 now. and that one still works too, despite someone literally hacksawing away the keyboard..