Topic: best method of external storage

So, finally got another computer and I've been taking the opportunity to record my vinyl.  I've been recording some decent stuff that I probably want to sell, but I want still to archive the wavs for posterity, in case I want to sample something, my computer breaks again or some such shit.  Any suggestions on the best method of external storage?  I'm a little hesitant on external harddrives, a friend was storing his excessive files on one that broke down and corrupted all his files - maybe this isn't the norm but it makes me nervous anyways.  How 'bout those archival CD's?  How do robots archive their important files?

Re: best method of external storage

dvd's you can load everything back into whatever and they hold a lot of wavs

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

Get some good DVDs, like the ones archivists and professionnal photographers use, a few years ago I used to use sony and kodak ones that were higher end but not overly expensive.

dequalsrxt wrote:

a friend was storing his excessive files on one that broke down and corrupted all his files

Well not backing up files (even on external) is asking for it. I speak as a guilty party who lost a laptop hdd ... and i still I don't back up now (but I will once I get that new computer wink ) DVD's (with at least one redundant copy) + backup on external or whatever. Should be fine ... also may be put the one set of back ups in another location in case of hurricane and or other act of god or crime.

5 (edited by mina v. 2008-08-26 11:48:44)

Here is an article about some online storage services, I was thinking about trying mozy...
Jungle Disk is another one.

if you're going the dvd route it would also be worth considering 'Taiyo Yuden'
they have a reputation for low errors during recording. not sure how widely
available they are so you will probably have to mail order them.

I need to buy a new external hard drive since my last one died. I was thinking of getting a network drive, so I can connect to it wireless, but I've heard that they recommend ethernet for it, and I want to avoid clutter. Does anyone have any experience with wireless external drives of some sort?

keep at least two copies on separate hard drives. i don't know if i really trust those DVDs even if they say 'for archiving purposes'. if you don't store them properly they'll be useless after some time. how long, nobody knows for sure, it's only been simulated. the good thing about hard drives is that when you get a new computer your new hard drive will easily hold the content of the old one and more, same goes for external hard drive when you upgrade to a new one. just drag all the 'old' stuff with you in the process.

still, i recommend keeping the vinyl for long term archiving. two copies of each in seperate airconditioned fall-out shelters lol

2 copies in 2 separate hd's is what i do too. external hd's are real cheap nowadays.

Shed

yesterday i saw 1TB for

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

still, i recommend keeping the vinyl for long term archiving. two copies of each in seperate airconditioned fall-out shelters lol

Ha! 

Right on guys, thanks for the suggestions. DVD was pretty much what I was thinking,  too - although, yeah - nice reminder to keep two backups.