Topic: Pre-amp info's?

What kinda pre amps you guys use and for what use (vocals, drums, synths)?
What's hot (neve, api, chandler pulteq...), whats affordable (remakes of the classics?)
How many do you use, for each channel one?
Just wanna now some general info on the subject and what you guys use.

gr,
Jonathan

Re: Pre-amp info's?

Neve(melbourne) and Universal Audio(8110) for drums, horns, guitars and piano. Tubetechs for vocals and bas. Danfiels for anything that needs to sound clean, but still with some edge... Rostech for clean and no edge. Eventhough we have a 56ch ssl I almost never use the pres, only for stuff that

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

that what?

I have a pair of API 312's (A2D) and a Chandler Germanium.  I've used the Germ for recording guitars and bass in the past and it is GREAT for that.  Nice as a DI for drum machines and monosynths too.  It can turn the 606 BD into something wonderful.  My only beef with it is that there's no way to attenuate the output on the pre itself, so you have to be cautious if you're recording direct from the Germ into a convertor. 

The API just sounds good with anything to me.  Lately I typically record everything through the API's as I usually build up my tracks in layers so two pres is enough.  If I'm recording more than two things at once I'll record the less important sounds through the Germ or the pres on my Fireface (which are great for synths as well...never used them with a mic).

The Chandler will probably be sold shortly as I haven't really used it in a while now.

Continuet: just needs to get on "tape". In the C-studio we have the CBS Custom MCI 500 from the CBS studio in london. It has just been recapped and moddet, and is now by far the best sounding preamp ever build. This thing blows anything out of the water. The headroom and transparency of these pre's is out of this world, I think it's + 90dB gain and not a hint of hiss or other noise.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud