1 (edited by Abstract Forms 2011-10-02 15:13:02)

Topic: Suggestions for Poly synth that can be CV/Gate controlled?

Hey all, I'm sure someone on here can give me some suggestions . . . .

I'm looking for suggestions for a decent Poly synth that can be CV/Gate controlled to compliment my Juno 60.

Preferably a rack synth if possible (bit tight on space) and I want something vintage (I prefer older synths).

The main idea being that I want to use my TB-303 CV/Gate outs to control it. (I've been using my 303 to trigger the SH101 which is pretty cool but wondered if there are alternative poly synths with similar 'trigger in' options as the 101.)

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Re: Suggestions for Poly synth that can be CV/Gate controlled?

but why a poly synth because you need a cv/gate for every voice..

Abstract Forms wrote:

Hey all, I'm sure someone on here can give me some suggestions . . . .

I'm looking for suggestions for a decent Poly synth that can be CV/Gate controlled to compliment my Juno 60.

Preferably a rack synth if possible (bit tight on space) and I want something vintage (I prefer older synths).

The main idea being that I want to use my TB-303 CV/Gate outs to control it. (I've been using my 303 to trigger the SH101 which is pretty cool but wondered if there are alternative poly synths with similar 'trigger in' options as the 101.)

TB or not TB

3 (edited by sneakthief 2011-10-02 17:06:33)

Actually, there are very few polyphonic synths that have cv/gate inputs for more than one voice.

The only thing I can think of is an SEM 2, 4 or 8 Voice. Which is serious cash.

For non-rackmount, maybe a Jupiter 4 or Mono/Poly - both of which I in the past needed to modify to have polyphonic cv/gate inputs.

As for other rackmounts, I highly doubt it.

Seriously, most poly analogs have midi, with the exception of a few beasts like the Korg PS series, earlier Prophet 5's, etc.

Can anyone else chime in here?

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

Ok that makes sense, shame...

Thought there might be the odd poly synth with a cv/gate input feature, even if its just for one or two voices.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Oh, there are various polysynths like the Mono/Poly that have one single cv/gate in - but why bother when you can simply use midi, seeing as I can't even think of any other non-midi rackmount polysynth.

sneakthief wrote:

Actually, there are very few polyphonic synths that have cv/gate inputs for more than one voice.

The only thing I can think of is an SEM 2, 4 or 8 Voice. Which is serious cash.

For non-rackmount, maybe a Jupiter 4 or Mono/Poly - both of which I in the past needed to modify to have polyphonic cv/gate inputs.

As for other rackmounts, I highly doubt it.

Seriously, most poly analogs have midi, with the exception of a few beasts like the Korg PS series, earlier Prophet 5's, etc.

Can anyone else chime in here?

matrix 12

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Ah yes the Matrix 12. On that note, the Oberheim Xpander isn't rackmount, but it's close enough and can be cv-controlled.

Although it really doesn't make any sense if the unit already has midi.

Actually, the big question is why do you want a polysynth that could only have one voice controlled over cv/gate?

Well the 303 doesn't have midi and I want to control other synths with its sequencer, - so cv/gate outs are the only option.

I'm already using it with my mono synths and to trigger the arp etc on the Juno60 but was wondering if there are other poly synths where you have a cv/gate, click in etc.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Oberheim Xpander would be really nice. Pricey though.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

With the 303's sequencer you'll only be able to program monophonically and not in chords so there's no real point using it with a poly. You could do separate passes of your 101 tuned up and down to create chords though which would be pretty cool...

ok thanks, although it does say on the VSE page:
"get that elastic 303 groove workin' your other synths (especially cool with a polyphonic synth)"
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/303.php

Thats what got me thinking about it.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

triggering the vcf of your Juno60 with the cv of your 303 can be fun too, dunno if the arpeggio responds on the 303 gate signal but you can give it a try.. smile

Abstract Forms wrote:

Well the 303 doesn't have midi and I want to control other synths with its sequencer, - so cv/gate outs are the only option.

I'm already using it with my mono synths and to trigger the arp etc on the Juno60 but was wondering if there are other poly synths where you have a cv/gate, click in etc.

TB or not TB

Abstract Forms wrote:

ok thanks, although it does say on the VSE page:
"get that elastic 303 groove workin' your other synths (especially cool with a polyphonic synth)"
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/303.php

Thats what got me thinking about it.

VSE says a lot of things.  roll That is definitely one of the funniest things I've read. lol

I mean maybe if you have some mults and a massive modular or something...

Ok forgive my technical ignorance but wouldn't it be a simple case of using a buffered multi to split the signal? That's of course if indeed there is a poly synth with more than one cv/gate input.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

The Xpander is ideal for this.  I've just been using my modular to control 3 voices on my Xpander using CV & gate.  I used a Topobrillo Quantimator quantiser module which sends out 3 CV's for a chord from one CV in.  It can also be used as a shift register which cycles through the notes of the chord.  The crystal bell sound which comes in at 3.17 on the track below is the Xpander controlled by CV & Gate.  I used the same voice on all 3 patches pitched 12 tones apart and panned out.

http://soundcloud.com/koova/shift-register

Koova wrote:

The Xpander is ideal for this.  I've just been using my modular to control 3 voices on my Xpander using CV & gate.  I used a Topobrillo Quantimator quantiser module which sends out 3 CV's for a chord from one CV in.  It can also be used as a shift register which cycles through the notes of the chord.  The crystal bell sound which comes in at 3.17 on the track below is the Xpander controlled by CV & Gate.  I used the same voice on all 3 patches pitched 12 tones apart and panned out.

http://soundcloud.com/koova/shift-register

Excellent info and sounds!
This is what i'm looking for, from what I can find on the net the Xpander has 6 cv/gate inputs?
So in theory I could use the CV/Gate out from 303 to a Quantiser module and then split into the 3 voices on the Xpander.?

hmmmmmm, shame I don't have the cash right now but thats definitely put the Xpander on my Xmas list.  How much do they go for these days?

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

17 (edited by plikestechno 2011-10-04 00:37:08)

About 2500 USD. If you get lucky sometimes you can find them for 1500-2000 USD.

Do you already have a eurorack modular? Because you gotta buy a 300-400 USD powered case used first before you start filling it with modules like the quantimator. And once you get into modular you have no money forever.

you can play mono/poly´s chordmemory with cv-gate, if i can remember right..

and you can also use the 303´s cv to control the juno-6/60 filter also, just hook the cv to the pedal input on juno..

plikestechno wrote:

Do you already have a eurorack modular?

I started building one a few months back.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

plikestechno wrote:

Do you already have a eurorack modular? Because you gotta buy a 300-400 USD powered case used first before you start filling it with modules like the quantimator. And once you get into modular you have no money forever.

Modulars are like crack.

nakoradiomies wrote:

you can play mono/poly´s chordmemory with cv-gate, if i can remember right..

and you can also use the 303´s cv to control the juno-6/60 filter also, just hook the cv to the pedal input on juno..

That's interesting, i've always liked the Monopoly, will look into it more.
Been using the 303 with the Juno60 filter for a while, it sounds nice when the cutoff is low.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Koova wrote:

Modulars are like crack.

Yes its definitely addictive but i'm determined to actually write some music soon, so I'm limiting my case space to 9u and a 3u skiff.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

well if you can find mono/poly in decent shape, don´t think twice mate.. after you get into it, there is absolutely nothing what you can´t do that synth.

and what you can´t do with it, you don´t need it smile