Topic: to the djs out there

Hi,

after severals years of listening synthetic/electronic music, and raised by tons of great mixes, I would love to try to mix it myself to push my own favorite sounds, but I've no ideas with where to start, coz I don't know anybody in person who does it.
So I tried with some software, as my turnables are not really done for that (no precise tempo control ), and I've some questions after my tests :

Before recording a mix, do you write down the tempo of every song somewhere, with like the times of the "drums only parts", or light parts were you can make a transition ? because some tracks just won't fit together...
Do you mainly use software, vinyl mixing or Cds mixing ?

and well if you have some general advice.. I was trying to do a slow yet fat electro selection, the tracklist is done but the "fitting together part" is not as easy as it seemed.

!!

2 (edited by asteroid 2011-10-03 23:12:24)

Re: to the djs out there

Probably an interesting read. Advanced Vinyl Handling, DJ Basics And the main hyperreal DJ page.

BlackAnEagle wrote:

fat electro !!

Paul Hardcastle overdosing on butter?

I would say making the "list" first and then try to fit it together might not be the way to do it, at least if you're a newbie.

Some tracks just won't fit together, no matter how hard you try.
There are a lot of parameters to consider: BPM, key, rhythm, style of the track, vocals, intro/outro style/length and so on.
Usually mixing two similar tracks together is easier but sometimes the contrast between two very different tracks makes it more interesting.
Skilled DJ's seem to be able to mix whatever together perfectly on the fly (while smoking/drinking + talking to their friends/some girls) but I guess they just have a lot more knowledge of their records and what's possible and can quickly decide if a certain transition is worth trying or not.

When you aren't that skilled, start with a "list" of records but count on some experimenting with track order (perhaps excluding some "impossible" tracks along the way) before you end up with a decent mix.
My experience is that it won't be as you planned but hopefully it will sound OK.

I'm talking about beatmixing here, just playing records (quick fade in/out) might not require that much work but can sound good too (and still require some skills, making it look/sound easy is sometimes harder than you think)

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

I can only add one thing to Galliano's post: keep a stack of backup records ready. Stuff that might also fit in but is not currently on the list. One of those might help you transition between tracks that turn out not to fit together as well as you thought.

yes, start with beat mixing but in the end you can't learn to mix from books or what others tell you, you have to learn it yourself because you have to HEAR it. I'm sure you'll learn to mix electro, it's not thàt difficult.

"A Real Music Hater"

start with microwavepingpongminimal. you can't do anything wrong with the clicks & clacks...
after that try music with keys, vocals etc.