Topic: question for users of digital dj systems with time code records

how do all you users of final scratch etc switch between vinyl with time code and ''regular'' records? if you run the software, how easy is it to also play regular records instead of the time coded ones through your dj mixer? is there a difference in sound from when you'd connect your turntables directly to the mixer?

and what do you do when your computer isn't on? does the hardware still let you play normal vinyl, or do you have to connect your decks directly then?

Re: question for users of digital dj systems with time code records

rude66 wrote:

how do all you users of final scratch etc switch between vinyl with time code and ''regular'' records?

Serato plugs into the line and the phono inputs for each channel you hook it up to. The signal is processed through the line input, so if your using control vinyl, you have to set that channel to line.  If you switch it to phono, you just hear the signal tone. So when you want to play regular vinyl, just switch it over from line to phono and you're good to go.

rude66 wrote:

if you run the software, how easy is it to also play regular records instead of the time coded ones through your dj mixer?

Very easy...just put a regular record on and switch to phono...
your computer will try keep trying to interpret the signal its getting as a signal tone, so you'll notice the mp3/flac/wav jumping around...if you switch back to phono you'll hear the effects of that.

rude66 wrote:

is there a difference in sound from when you'd connect your turntables directly to the mixer?

i have never noticed a difference...I think the serato box is pretty passive. but it is one more thing you have to run your sound through...

rude66 wrote:

and what do you do when your computer isn't on? does the hardware still let you play normal vinyl, or do you have to connect your decks directly then?

The serrato box has to be powered for the sound to go through it...when your computer is on, it gets it power via usb...when its off the box has to be plugged into a power source.

hope this helps...im sure most of this is the same for final scratch.

Dez wrote:
rude66 wrote:

The serrato box has to be powered for the sound to go through it...when your computer is on, it gets it power via usb...when its off the box has to be plugged into a power source.

Isn't USB always hot, even when the computer is turned off but remains connected to a power source? Or is it just my fucked up computer? big_smile

Does it really?. From my experience once you shut down your computer the sound card shuts off as well. What kind of computer do you use?

Brian Chinetti wrote:
Dez wrote:
rude66 wrote:

Isn't USB always hot, even when the computer is turned off but remains connected to a power source? Or is it just my fucked up computer? big_smile

i'd imagine that depends...but either way, i always keep my serato box plugged into the way in case of catastrophic computer system failure.

6 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2008-08-29 18:15:31)

pslayvins wrote:

Does it really?. From my experience once you shut down your computer the sound card shuts off as well. What kind of computer do you use?

Some fucked up Acer (and a fucked up soundcard). The usb soundcard and the usb midi are always powered (or atleast I think so, cause the lights keep burning). I also use the usb port it when I lost the charger of my mini usb cellphone. Quite convenient. I thougt it was normal and perhaps a solution to Rude's question, but it might as well be that my computer is just weird.

are there idm time code records? that automatically cut up your mp3s into squarepushing breaks

extensive manuals http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

okay, thanks.. so serrato (and probably fs too) have direct phono outs where the signal goes through the card back into the mixer?

i'm testing a new system here (that shall remain nameless for now) and i can bypass the ''timecode mode'' in software to play vinyl, but the quailty diminishes quite badly compared to a direct connection.

and as the box is usb powered only (and no, my laptop isn't always hot, i don't know what kind of acer you have brian, but on both my computers switching them off also means no usb power) when the laptop is off, i can't play regular vinyl without replugging.  i was wondering how that was with other systems..

10 (edited by Poodle 2008-08-29 21:53:44)

Brian Chinetti wrote:
pslayvins wrote:

Some fucked up Acer (and a fucked up soundcard). The usb soundcard and the usb midi are always powered (or atleast I think so, cause the lights keep burning). I also use the usb port it when I lost the charger of my mini usb cellphone. Quite convenient. I thougt it was normal and perhaps a solution to Rude's question, but it might as well be that my computer is just weird.

you can relax there's nothing weird with your Acer the 5V line is always on and usb is 5V. at least for desktops. i'm no lappie expert..

I can charge my mobile phone via usb when my computer is turned off. As for soundcards maybe they are just setup to power down when system shuts down or something.

on laptops usually it goes down... but my fixed PC keeps USB alive as well. I use it to charge my phone as well, too smile

12 (edited by Rproductions 2008-08-31 23:44:57)

It depends on the psu that you have mounted in your computer (desktop),
on mine the usb is always hot till you unplug the powa,or you switch off with the main at the back.

Laptop is another world,of course you don't want your battery to go down if you forget your usb cell phone plugged in there and the laptop is off big_smile

Rude I guess quality diminishes compared to direct connection cuz thru usb it performs an AD/DA conversion?

@ ratsnake : lol .. just scratch the mofo timecode big_smile

Like all music apps its all about the feel and appearance of the soft , Serato auduio interface might be from Rane but the software blows , quality of files is more important here. You can use audio interface of your choice (4 outs , 4 ins ) and use phono to line preamp and use most DJ soft and not spend that much cash on a proprietary system like Serato.

I use ms. pinky http://www.mspinky.com/ timecoded records along with a shitty esi u46dj soundcard.

Two things:
1) there is a definitely loss in quality when doing software 'pass-thru' of non-timecode records, in my case this is down to the shit-ness of the soundcard. Instead of doing software pass-thru, i have a phono splitter that connects both turntable and soundcard to mixer simultaneously, so can just use the mixers own "phono / line" to switch between vinyl / mp3.

2) despite what people say, these mp3 vinyl rigs are not easy to set-up. Sure, in your bedroom or studio it's fine, but when you take it to a club it can be a nightmare. If it turns out that the club setup is shit, for example, only the left turntable channels works (most timecode systems use channel seperation so need both left+right), or the needles are bogey, or no place to put laptop + soundcard, etc.

I use it only in my room or mate's house, vinyl is so much more reliable. smile altho the last gig i had, the guy playing after me was using a laptop, and had it setup, so even when i was using vinyl i still had people saying "this is shit, he's only playing off a laptop!!"  cocks. ;(

HeadphoneMagnet wrote:

I use it only in my room or mate's house, vinyl is so much more reliable. smile altho the last gig i had, the guy playing after me was using a laptop, and had it setup, so even when i was using vinyl i still had people saying "this is shit, he's only playing off a laptop!!"  cocks. ;(

So by this logic all performers who use laptops suck to most common folk ? Would it be better if there was a laptop a dude playing a guitar and a dancing dog?
Its so 50's that we are used to "Rock Show" asthetics .  If you have a full band youre not garanteed a better show then a guy with all his analog machines and his MPC .
When i go out , i don't stare at the DJ or the performer id much rather dance and have a good time, i could care less if he or she is playing from dual cassette decks if the music is working it.

i think a lot of people see laptop and think "itunes" and "anyone could do that". these might be the same people who think records and turntables are some ancient, mystic foreign art, passed down from generation to generation. they maybe want there to be more behind the music, "meta-music", like to enjoy the music you need to know what the dj is feeling, what his/her thought processes are, how he'/she's developing the art.

"this is shit, he's only playing off a laptop!!"

then again, some people are just jerks. smile

yes, there seems to be these two types of deejays.. the "the centre of the universe is deejaying for you" and the "listen to this amazing music i love" types.

Monkey see, monkey do.

18 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-03 10:41:30)

i'd say it matters how the dj works at least to some degree...

and i really like ruud's question. you should be able to mix old technologies seamlessly with new ones i think.

however now when the cdj's are so good i don't see why one needs to bring a lappie. i kinda don't like the look of those on stage but that's just me i guess..

Poodle wrote:

however now when the cdj's are so good i don't see why one needs to bring a lappie. i kinda don't like the look of those on stage but that's just me i guess..

cd's do make a lot more sense, and going back to the reliablity, there's no messing about with setting them up. i suppose you still have to bring along a load of cd's then instead of one laptop-sized bag.

anybody out there use cd's and / or timecode vinyl and can enlighten us?

20 (edited by stamba 2008-09-03 13:44:43)

I use Mixvibes DVS since almost 3 years and i'm using Y cables to be able to switch between timecoded and classic vinyls.

http://stamba.free.fr/y.gif

turntable rca1 ---- Y cable ---- 1 goes directly to mixer .. the other goes to your soundcard IN-1
turntable rca2 ---- Y cable ---- 1 goes directly to mixer .. the other goes to your soundcard IN-2

so on your mixer, for channel 1 you have :
phono / line switch

phono = you get the 2 rca from the y cable
line = you get the 2 rca back from your soundcard OUT-1/2

About sound volume.. nothing special except you have to play with GAIN, as you should normally with many classic vinyls wink

HeadphoneMagnet wrote:

records and turntables are some ancient, mystic foreign art, passed down from generation to generation.

haha. classic

rude66 wrote:

okay, thanks.. so serrato (and probably fs too) have direct phono outs where the signal goes through the card back into the mixer?

i'm testing a new system here (that shall remain nameless for now) and i can bypass the ''timecode mode'' in software to play vinyl, but the quailty diminishes quite badly compared to a direct connection.

and as the box is usb powered only (and no, my laptop isn't always hot, i don't know what kind of acer you have brian, but on both my computers switching them off also means no usb power) when the laptop is off, i can't play regular vinyl without replugging.  i was wondering how that was with other systems..

i wonder why nobody brought ni traktor with audio 8 dj usb audio interface up yet. i happen to own one of these and there's absolutely no problem when they're not plugged in (usb) because they employ Y cables for the phono/cd->mixer connection. if you're brave enough and are not in TC vinyl mode but rather playing the real thing you can even plug the connections around on the audio 8 during performance.

23 (edited by Poodle 2008-09-03 15:36:21)

HeadphoneMagnet wrote:
Poodle wrote:

cd's do make a lot more sense, and going back to the reliablity, there's no messing about with setting them up. i suppose you still have to bring along a load of cd's then instead of one laptop-sized bag.

anybody out there use cd's and / or timecode vinyl and can enlighten us?

the cdj's are starting to come with usb now so you can just have your usb sticks. a 8 gig stick/player should sort out a set. smile

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

i wonder why nobody brought ni traktor with audio 8 dj usb audio interface up yet. i happen to own one of these and there's absolutely no problem when they're not plugged in (usb) because they employ Y cables for the phono/cd->mixer connection. if you're brave enough and are not in TC vinyl mode but rather playing the real thing you can even plug the connections around on the audio 8 during performance.

Can you Use the NI interface with other software?

the only thing that seems different sometimes is the time coded records.. i'm still not sure if they are all the same, i.e. if you can use any combination of hard- and software in combination with the time code records..