Topic: Desktop multi fx unit for a live set? Any recomendations?

Can anyone recommend a decent versatile desktop multi fx unit for a live set, - I'm looking for something that’s easily portable, compact, has decent reverbs and tap tempo delays amongst the usual array of multi fx.

Had a look on the Lexicon site but sadly they only seem to do rack or software based stuff.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Re: Desktop multi fx unit for a live set? Any recomendations?

The Line 6 stuff and the Roger Linn Design Adrenalinn 3 looks pretty interesting, any user feedback?

In a world where the dead are returning to life, 'trouble' loses much of its meaning.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Korg Kaosspad

ok interesting suggestion, have you used one? I thought they might be more aimed at the DJ market and was wondering what the quality of the FX are like.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

5 (edited by olivier8 2011-10-31 11:19:06)

laptop fx's are not seen often,
Alesis Mod-FX maybe (crazy stuff happens when you link several of them.. they're not too expensive)
http://www.raus-aus-der-prostitution.de/uploads/coverpics/Alesis_modfx.jpg
they are digital but they have nice pots & touch controls, tap tempo etc..
or you could make a suitcase with a bunch of selected effect pedals

Is size and versatility the only thing your after cause every effect-unit has its own character which is not unimportant I guess..

Its a big difference in functionality and sound if you use one (digital)multifx or a case with a bunch of (analog)effect-pedals like Olivier8 suggests.. 'Do you use 'm with midi or hands on, do you tweak effects life or is everything pre-programmed, do you want to sound nasty or sweet, etc etc.. ?

Personally I like (old) stomp-boxes a lot because of the raw and pure sound and easy controls.. Also the Boss half 19" rack series from the 80's are worth checking out..

Two tips I can give you if you choose multifx: check if the unit can handle loud signals or distorts in a way that doesn't destroys your whole sound (or even better gives a nice extra touch to it). And check what happens if you switch programs because a lot of units have the tendency to mute a few seconds when switching (which is very annoying).
Also a 'dry/wet' knob to dose the amount of effect is very handy on any kind of effect (especially live)..

Abstract Forms wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent versatile desktop multi fx unit for a live set, - I'm looking for something that’s easily portable, compact, has decent reverbs and tap tempo delays amongst the usual array of multi fx.

Had a look on the Lexicon site but sadly they only seem to do rack or software based stuff.

TB or not TB

This looks nice for delays:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/e … tor--43329

Quite pricey but its compact, got tap tempo and accepts program change commands.

That combined with a kaos pad would be nice for more crazy effects, i'm just a bit concerned the kaos pad will lack any decent reverbs so i'll keep hunting.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

I don't own a Kaosspad myself but we used one live once and I it sounded pretty good and can be a very creative tool..

Abstract Forms wrote:

This looks nice for delays:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/e … tor--43329

Quite pricey but its compact, got tap tempo and accepts program change commands.

That combined with a kaos pad would be nice for more crazy effects, i'm just a bit concerned the kaos pad will lack any decent reverbs so i'll keep hunting.

TB or not TB

alesis picoverb is cheap, small and it has great room reverb presets..

http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/

check the PT delay unit and Micro crusher.
I dont own them but have heard in action and they are great little units

wouldn't go for the korg chaos stuff I've seen them a couple of times @ gigs in the theater i work @ and the all are fucking noisy and sound crap

my opinion

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

nakoradiomies wrote:

true that

I've had the KP1 and KP2 only played around with the KP3 but I like them, they can always be used as an interesting MIDI controller for ableton / max/msp also if you wanted to use computer FX. Plus they are fun. But yes, the KP1 and 2 were noisy, the KP3 is better. I guess it depends what you want. You can pick up the old Alesis MIDIverbs quite cheap.

Also I totally recommend the Boss ME50 for more experimental stuff. you make acid right? So I'm guessing you want distortion and delay/reverb?

How about Roland EF-303?

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/images/roland_EF-303_main.jpg

Seems nice, and half the price of KP3

mekonin wrote:

How about Roland EF-303?

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/images/roland_EF-303_main.jpg

Seems nice, and half the price of KP3

I just recently got one of those... can't say much about the effects though, they are pretty basic, and controlling paramters with the step sequencer does my head in.
I instead mainly use it as a step sequencer for synths. You can include portamento slides in the step sequence, and random stepping, pretty nifty.

teknob wrote:

I just recently got one of those... can't say much about the effects though, they are pretty basic, and controlling paramters with the step sequencer does my head in.
I instead mainly use it as a step sequencer for synths. You can include portamento slides in the step sequence, and random stepping, pretty nifty.

Nice, I was thinking of getting one just for that purpose. Can it's clock slave to the external one? Does the knobs send MIDI data or just sliders?

Please make some demos if you have time.

17 (edited by teknob 2011-11-01 20:46:11)

mekonin wrote:
teknob wrote:

Nice, I was thinking of getting one just for that purpose. Can it's clock slave to the external one? Does the knobs send MIDI data or just sliders?

Please make some demos if you have time.

demos of the effects? I can try, but youtube has some for sure.

The knobs do indeed send to midi (CC) as well as the sliders (notes), and yes, the thing can sync to midi clock or be master.

I use mine mainly to sequence a nord rack, as I like that the portamento LED goes on and off with the sequenced slides.

oh yeah, the thing does a half-arsed "303" emulation and it can be a basic drum machine too. But all of these are exclussive, so it is either/or

If you could make a demo of you step sequencing your Nord, using the knobs to change parameters, that would be swell.
I admit that I am biased about that machine because I hate the looks of all Roland Groovebox machines.

nakoradiomies wrote:

That could be ideal for the reverbs, I reckon that with the Time Factor and some guitar pedals would be a nice combo. Thanks for all the input.  big_smile

Boss ME50 looks cool but quite big and to be honest I do all my distortion on the desk.

www.abstract-forms.com
www.abstract-acid.com

Abstract Forms wrote:
nakoradiomies wrote:

That could be ideal for the reverbs, I reckon that with the Time Factor and some guitar pedals would be a nice combo. Thanks for all the input.  big_smile

Boss ME50 looks cool but quite big and to be honest I do all my distortion on the desk.

it's not so big, I used to carry mine in a small briefcase.

Oh and buy a Big Muff, you'll never look back. Big Muff 4 Lyfe!