Topic: Help - advice wanted for complete novice

An old friend has asked me what DAW to buy? 

He's got no audio or midi equipment and wants everything to run from inside his windows laptop.  He's got a USB keyboard but nothing else.  He's into old school techno (Underground Resistance, Derrick May, Juan Atkins - he used to DJ on a few UK pirate radio stations in the late 80's early 90's) and needs something that already includes synths, samplers etc. and can also produce finished MP3's.  We used to play together back in the day using an Alesis MMT8 and a few old midi keyboards but since then he's been out of producing music completely and he's starting from scratch.  He's not got a lot of money to spend on it so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Help - advice wanted for complete novice

http://blog.audiojungle.net/resources/7 … r-windows/

http://sneak-thief.com - raw electrofunk

This may be an obvious answer, but what about Reason?

Perhaps he should download some demo versions of various software and see which best fits his needs.

I would suggest or FL Studio or Reaper. I cannot stress enough the downloading of demos to see if the workflow is for him.

Thanks for the replies, I have very little experience with software so couldn't really help him.  I had cubase on my Atari and that's what I've stuck with ever since.

I second FL Studio as a very good option. It's immediate and easy to work out. And quite cheap.

7 (edited by FrvrTrx 2011-12-19 07:29:05)

I have been using ableton for sequencing and recording since the very early versions. It's quiet versatile, but also can quickly get on your nerve, since it tries to be so modern, but has tons of workflow issues... at least for me. still very easy to learn and quiet capable. the drumracks and sampler make for a good beat machine and operator can make some funky sounds. they also have a -25% discount right now (since Ableton Live 9 is probably right around the corner).

It will probably be more fun though if he also buys some cheap ghetto gear from ebay as well. best of both worlds!

reason is good for emulating an old school studio and you can obviously try out the demos of ableton, fl and reason  but I'd recommend renoise as it's cheap and great value, in fact the demo isn't even limited too much and its easily capable of old-school techno, despite being the tool of choice for idm/breakcore.