1 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2012-03-13 12:50:55)

Topic: Why are Italo represses (bootlegs)so expensive?

Yes, I'm talking about the "official" represses from Ryvon DJ, Brian Dalmini, Nord Est, etc.
But there are other labels like that too like Flashback Records or Rebirth Records.
Imho, the only reason I see is that these people take advantage of the market situation: "Kristal costs 500 EUR on ebay so people will be happy to pay 20 EUR for a repress". But I'm always wondering: how many profit do these guys take from that? A new record costs about 8-10 EUR, even when it has a picture sleeve so I don't see any reason why these Italo represses should cost double the price.
Don't get me wrong, some of these records are really, really good but the prices mostly keep me away from buying them, not because I can't pay them but simply because of the manufacturer's greed. And of course, the tag "mega rare" doesn't help either.
In case of Flashback and all the sublabels, it's even weirder. Most of these records aren't represses but new music and even then they ask 25 EUR for one record. It just doesn't make any sense.

PS: I'm not talking about I.D. Limited as these people really do a great job: they trace the artists, they make new artwork and they offer a lot of rare songs in very good remastered quality on one record. Not to mention all the other pain in the ass paper work with licenses etc.

"A Real Music Hater"

Re: Why are Italo represses (bootlegs)so expensive?

i'm waiting for replies big_smile

Vlam Aan

lekker ouwehoeren

"A Real Music Hater"

It's interesting also that it's specifically rare italo singles which are more expensive. All of the bootlegs of rare cosmic stuff seem to only cost £10 or so, even with replica art.

I think the reason the price is high is because of people wanting to make money, as you already said, and also the fact that the italo buyer is a captive audience for very rare italo reissues eg. Pay 500 for OG or pay 20 for replica or you can't have the record.

New records that cost 25 euros is just plain greedy though, there is no excuse......

greed and milking the elitarist kind of the avarage Italo collector. That's also the reason why I left the Italo forum on discogs because it's too hypocrite. I'll say what I said to Kucz a while ago: we are against everything that is limited and expensive as long as we don't have it in our own collection. That's the real collectors mind, and I'm guilty too  smile
And funny enough, since I don't read all that stuff on the forum anymore I started to really enjoy the music itself again.

"A Real Music Hater"

Wwant to buy my ulta-rare MINT italo mp3's?

The same seems to go for minimal/synth/wave stuff. Okay, I can understand that you ask some more for releases with special artwork, that take a lot of research and whatnot, but for this kind of music it seems to be standard to ask high prices.

I really like this kind of music, but the prices often put me off buying.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

At least for italo you have/had labels like Radius, Flexx and others with reasonable prices.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

heifetz wrote:

only if you overcharge me for the shipping of your air
why not make ableton mixes with it?

@ Klart: true but mostly you can buy these reissues for ok prices imho, my local dealer charges 14 euro for the Twilight Ritual LP and 15 euro for the Mannequin compilation and these are LP's, not maxi's which is fair I think. I do agree that f.e. Minimal Wave is a bit too expensive.

Radius and Flexx are defunct, Diepvries went on with his life and Spacid is busy with playing on ping pong minimal and schranz party's so it's not gonna happen again. Radius Records was totally sponsored by N.E.W.S. btw and N.E.W.S. is a mayor company that only cares about figures and profit in the end. All good stories come to an end I guess.

"A Real Music Hater"

heifetz wrote:

do they come with an SIAE stamp? handnumbered?

on topic: is there a RfR member who knows the guys of these expensive labels? They won't give us an official reason, but maybe someone has inside information?

Klart wrote:

The same seems to go for minimal/synth/wave stuff. Okay, I can understand that you ask some more for releases with special artwork, that take a lot of research and whatnot, but for this kind of music it seems to be standard to ask high prices.

It happened with the All the Madmen and Snowy Red re-issues. One "label" seemed to only sell the bootlegs through ebay!

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

12 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2012-03-13 15:23:51)

ah yes, I forgot about these Snowy Red bootlegs, that's a shameless rip off indeed. There's a good alternative tho: http://www.discogs.com/Snowy-Red-The-Ul … se/2826499
definitely a good price for a box set

@streppe: why would they bother, they won't be able to give any reasonable explanation anyway.

these guys are almost as funny as all those sellers who sell 500 EUR Italo's which they only grade VISUALLY  smile

"A Real Music Hater"

Klart wrote:

dark enties offers quality reissues for ok prices, MW not i'm afraid

Vlam Aan

maybe because it is expensive to press records and its nice to make a small profit for the label and the artist.

speculator wrote:

maybe because it is expensive to press records and its nice to make a small profit for the label and the artist.

and shipping and taxes and distromarkup and store mark up..

people with low prices lose money or barley break even..

so why bother.  eliminate the need for any of this and listen to youtube

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

ah yes, I forgot about these Snowy Red bootlegs, that's a shameless rip off indeed. There's a good alternative tho: http://www.discogs.com/Snowy-Red-The-Ul … se/2826499
definitely a good price for a box set

aaah, onderstroom! this label is from my hometown Rotselaar smile
small village, but i don't know them...

they have some good releases yes

"A Real Music Hater"

The price of new release records(not just italo/wave re-issues) has been creeping up & up,.....everyones gotta eat, artist/labels/consumers and i don't know many people with stacks of cash to throw about just now. My love of vinyl is dieing on its arse..

Let's get Dumb

The reissues of Ryvon, Dalmini, Kristal, Dyva and Nord Est are all produced by the same guy, who has a record store in Italy. It is he who is selling them all on discogs. He has assured me they are official. I only know because I asked him if he could make a reissue of California - Volerei!!

PS . He said that maybe he would in the future.

What about Dyva - clap again, 60 euro from the label ?
Oh yes, it's postage included...

And Spacid went minimal ? Oh no...
I remember some heavy acid parties sad

Anatole wrote:

I remember some heavy acid parties sad

that was a looooooong time ago, stucked in a time vacum Anatole?  smile

"A Real Music Hater"

Kristal - Love & Magic is on my wantlist for quite a while so I'm quite happy with this (relatively) cheap reissue and bought it together with three other records to cut on the shipping.

It's a bit of a pain they're more expensive than other records I agree. These records are surely aimed at the "serious" collector who's willing to pay a bit more extra, Those Radius- and Flexx-reissues were more made for DJs (no picturesleeves for example). Still it can be done cheaper looking at the reissues by Iventi...but they aren't as limited as the Kristal, Ryvon DJ etc. Oh well, if you don't want to spend money, you shouldn't start collecting records in the first place maybe...

"Are you loving?"

Why would production costs of these sleeves be more expensive than the ones from I.D. Limited? They even don't have to design a new label/artwork. Maybe it's because it's "serious" paper, I don't know. And if they are illegal, then a "serious rip off for serious collectors" is more appropriate.

Still, I'm not convinced these records are not bootlegs considering that you can only get them "from the source", the fact that it are exactly the ones that are in high demand and that they are exact replica's minus the SIAE stamp + those labels are long defunct.

that 100 EUR Dyva record "straight from the pressing plant" is a joke indeed, it takes greed to another level.

"A Real Music Hater"