Topic: Dissident stops

From RA:

The London-based imprint Dissident, known for its limited, vinyl-only releases, is set to close.

As you may recall, Andy Blake and his Dissident imprint featured on these pages back in March as our label of the month. Although things seemed rosy around that time, Blake came across as man who would not swerve making a difficult decision. As it turns out, the imprint will go down simply as victim of time constraints. As Blake explained in an e-mail statement today, other projects played a large contributing factor in Dissident's closure. "I guess the main reason behind me moving on is that I'm busy running the World Unknown night in Brixton every month with Joe and Duncan and being asked to DJ all over the place and if I continued trying to run Dissident as well I'd quite possibly end up making a bit of a balls of everything."

"When I started the label back in 2007 the whole point was that it wasn't in any sense a 'proper' record label," he continued, "it was just a way to get music out quickly on the highest sound quality format for clubs and DJs and play a tiny part in trying to help the independent record shops and distributors by staying faithful to the vinyl format when it seemed that virtually everyone was throwing the towel in and going digital."

Releasing records from the likes of Ali Renault, Gatto Fritto and Photonz among many others, Dissident managed to crank out an impressive 60-plus releases over a two-and-a-half year period, while traversing disco, house, Balearic and beyond.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Re: Dissident stops

Dissident = Meh

Some great, some good.... lots of dreck

cuties don't exert

sorry to hear, a great label. some awesome stuff, but also some slowed down stoner italo clones that I am not quite getting. oh well, putting out releases at that rate, would be hard to live up to everyones expectations 100%.

didn't they release that kick drum loop track? iirc bias loved it

cuties don't exert

fair play for doing the vinyl stuff and supporting shops, i think thats great. never bought one dissident release tho and never understood the fuss. i know its big here, but really i think its mediocre at best

I found the records to be overpriced for being only single-sided, but I liked a lot of the releases.
And the label really had "style", somehow.

never heard of them, but plenty other dj's seem to have the time to run labels as well as live an exotic dj lifestyle

From what I've heard: I like and bought some. I'm glad somehow they stopped cause they released too much.

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

...they released too much.

yes...

too much.

less is more wink

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

captain duran wrote:
Scarface wrote:

...they released too much.

yes...

too much.

less is more wink

exactly !

Sending this transmission into the depths of space
I must complete my mission - destroy the human race

http://www.discogs.com/user/logistian

Some killer releases- these are my fave 3 dissident records

Den Haan - Nightshift/ Theme from Den Haan
Cage and Aviary - Giorgio Carpenter
Ali Renault - Zombie Raffle

But a lot of the releases are mediocre and who will buy a 1 mediocre tune on a one sided pressing for 9 pounds a throw????

the SpaceLex - pretty face is quite good...

SpaceLex - pretty face  is one of my favs as well

Sorry to hear that.
My 3 Dissident faves:

Muravchix - Replicant's Lament
Ali Renault - La criminal
Spacelex - Pretty Face

score100 wrote:

I found the records to be overpriced for being only single-sided, but I liked a lot of the releases.

Hm, maybe the records have to be imported from the UK and together with the high prices in England and the chancing of the currency (from pound in euro) these high prices for the single sided releases occur??
Just an idea...

Kraftwerks achso graue Autobahn, Drexciyas achso blaue Aquabahn...
https://soundcloud.com/bender101-1

great news!

iventi are releasing crazy amount of records as well, high prices as well.

Ali Renault - Zombie Raffle good track

most complicated robot wrote:

iventi are releasing crazy amount of records as well, high prices as well.

21 records since 2007 is not a crazy amount i think. the difference between iventi and dissident is pretty big theyre not really comparable
however if you talk about quality more than quantity, you'll notice dissident still sucks hard.
like a lot of people would want a copy of clay pedrini, obviously, but who needs any of the dissident
like it seems a general consensus that spacelex - pretty face was a good dissident record.
seems totally backward to me

who wants ken lazlo, paul parker savage etc etc etc? Blake tryed to popose new music, some good, some bad, iventi are just surfing the hype of italo disco. they plans I don't know how many release for this year. why publishing all these releases now, and not in 1996? eh? because some guys in 96 wouldn't have give a shit about italo, whoud have laugh about that, but now is so cool. yeah, clay pedrini...

20 (edited by black shape 2009-11-30 10:19:42)

yea, so like i say, different aims haha
btw i dont think that much of iventi either haha

who wants ken lazlo, paul parker savage etc etc etc? Blake tryed to popose new music, some good, some bad, iventi are just surfing the hype of italo disco. they plans I don't know how many release for this year. why publishing all these releases now, and not in 1996? eh? because some guys in 96 wouldn't have give a shit about italo, whoud have laugh about that, but now is so cool. yeah, clay pedrini...

Hey but the Iventi scene people they always released stuff like that also in the 90s there even was a shop that catered for that scene here in The Hague. They have nothing to do with these new hip kids that are into Italo (as I always say those people would have been beaten up by the "Discos" cause they look like punks in the Italo days)

22 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2009-11-30 12:44:47)

bias wrote:

great news!

+1, never liked the label, some tracks were not bad but not good enough to buy IMO and considering the fact they were one-sided and "hyped-limited" on purpose made me stay far away from it. It's just "one of the so many labels" without an identity, just jumping on the hype of the moment. Oh well, it's just an opinion of course.

I'm not a van of the releases on i venti neither but they do an amzing job with I.D. Limited, I don't care if they do that because of "a hype" because thanks to them I was able to get a fair amount of hard-to-find songs, not to mention the prices for the originals. + they do it in a legal way which these days is very scarce.

"A Real Music Hater"

23 (edited by David Vunk 2009-11-30 12:58:13)

they are just doing what they always liked to do   

do you also now that they bring an old italo artist to holland   3x hotel  3 x  going to the restaurt or more wink  show some touristic holland things   to  sing something in 1 of the iventi studios  for the record on sunday

they do those things.....

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Hey but the Iventi scene people they always released stuff like that also in the 90s there even was a shop that catered for that scene here in The Hague. They have nothing to do with these new hip kids that are into Italo (as I always say those people would have been beaten up by the "Discos" cause they look like punks in the Italo days)

I know they have nothing to do with the hispter, but I don't rememeber in the nineties any italo disco flood, such as this, I would have certainly bought pedrini back then, or fockewulf, or whatever. I'm just saying that's too easy now, and you like it or not, blake tried to propose new music, pushing a bit the limit. Like I'm glad you're doing the same

David Vunk wrote:

they are just doing what they always liked to do   

i love the new paul parker  it rocks so hard  and it's so italo....especialy the iventi version!  the version from paul p. is not good in my opinion

First didn't like it because it sounds a bit too smooth, but the song and Paul's voice are just gold.