Re: Megamix Contest 2009 Tonight

easy my left nut..

152 (edited by David Vunk 2009-11-28 15:33:21)

baz wrote:

Ableton is too easy with this kind of thing. I didn't use it because it makes everything "to fitting"

not true! did you ever worked with ableton????  i think not

it's a lot of work to do it good!!

i can make a turntable  megamix  with 50 tracks   in 4or5 hour  ...... and that is way more eazy to do (for me)

like my labaratorium megamix (already 5 years old btw)

again really great mixes,
think its really hard work to do such a mix nevermind if pc software or vinyl only is beiing used. 
So big thx to all artists!!!

Ey Freund Blase, es gibt süßen Brei!

BMX wrote:
baz wrote:

Ableton is too easy with this kind of thing. I didn't use it because it makes everything "to fitting"

Sorry man but that is just not true at all.. You can make anything you want in Live. Have you ever used it?

I stepped on some toes I see.
First: yes I've worked with Ableton, half of my tracks are made with help of Ableton.
And yes I know it's a lot of work doing it right.

What I meant and that's more like a personal issue: when I do this kind of thing with ableton everything becomes to "neat". Every bar can be set straight. For me the feeling of music comes sometimes from the imperfections in rithm and timing, makes it more natural. This is a feeling I lose when working with a loop-based program like Ableton.

About the easy part: I do think it's quite easy to make a (mega)mix with ableton. I dont get why people take it like an insult if I say this. It's a good program which is easy to work with. For me this usually results in doing things fast while it gets better when I use other methods which are more slow (because you have more time to think about things).

So for me Ableton doesn't work, that's what I wanted to say.

but also your imperfections such as time stretched traktor loops are something you think is ok to keep in a mix for a competition?

Nothing personal, but if you find Ableton so easy, why not use your talent to avoid making time stretching

Because I'm lazy. I'm already making digital recordings of my records for personal use and they are on the original bpm smile

http://intergalacticfm.com/webchat/img/emoticons/glasses.png

ratsnake wrote:

http://intergalacticfm.com/webchat/img/emoticons/glasses.png

It's about that time in the evening again http://intergalacticfm.com/webchat/img/emoticons/glasses.png

The quality was huge this year, Overdose, Vunk, Savino, Ratsnake, BMX, Baz, ... all great mixes! But the hard rocking bass and energy in DJ Overdose's mix made me go wild, patserstuff like only Jay can do it smile

"A Real Music Hater"

yeah i hope he sounds like that at parties!

Ray Van Mechelen wrote:

The quality was huge this year, Overdose, Vunk, Savino, Ratsnake, BMX, Baz, ... all great mixes! But the hard rocking bass and energy in DJ Overdose's mix made me go wild, patserstuff like only Jay can do it smile

thanks ray, your description sounds like what i wanted to create.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

Competition was good. Just listened last night.

LOL @ Sleek Space Echo phone call.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

I really like them all, in particular, Maurino Boogie

Anyone know these tracks in his mix?

ok  after a good listening of all megamixes

i like my owm and bmx  to most  (sorry  but ... i can hear the effort  and i know the effort..) 

davecore and savino are very  good also.

and overdose really rocked

ratsnake  also very underground

the rest i didn't like

some mixes also have big  volume differences   that is really not nice in a mix i think...

David is right,
There are many robots who can create pretty good mixes (when it comes to selecting tracks and mixing them well)

Making a proper megamix is another thing, including a lot of tracks and sounds without messing things up.
The mix still needs the magic flow and movement forward that's so important.

Last but not least, the eq/mastering is important for the final result.
In this matter most of the entries failed, I agree.

But I still liked many of the mixes and hope for another competition in a not too distant future.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

It was brought to my attention that I can't hear when something is out of tune or even out of sync.  Oh well, I'm just a guy fooling with ableton, I guess it's not for me.  I would like to improve, but I figure it's something you either have or you don't

practice makes perfect mushaden

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

aww wish i scoped this..

Where did the 1 hour Afrobeatmix go?.. I cant find it on robotdj.net

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

i just heard the enrico savino mix - quality megamix.  is there a track listing for this somewhere?  also, are the other mixes posted somewhere online?

ok i just found...

http://shows.ifmdump.net/MMC2009/Mixes/