Topic: Yamaha RY30?

I never had one of these but I suspect they are pretty good? Anyone had one? I've heard its more of a drumsynthesizer like the Kawai XD-5?

Re: Yamaha RY30?

never heard of it before, but looking at the specs and youtube clips, it does sound pretty cool and easy to use

Ry30 was a local legend in Sydney in the 90's and there was a whole heap of ry30 style music around at the time. They have a dynamic recordable filter and pitch via mod wheel which gave everything a distinctive wobbly sound.  It's quite powerful machine. Kinda the monopoly of drum machines.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

4 (edited by no-fi 2009-12-08 11:59:54)

yeah. what wasubot said! :-)
I had one years ago and really loved it, in fact its "808" emulations was what really got me into loving the 808 sound (even though they're nothing like it - very hard digital thing)

I sold it when I got my mpc (that was a stretch and I needed the $$) and I missed my RY-30 for years, but then when I found one in a shop and plugged it in and had a play I realised it wasn't really for me anymore.....

but yeah - going on other stuff you enjoy using, I think you'd like it a lot and do some really cool music with it. It's pretty simple to get around and you get a fair bit of room to play in the voice architecture

a friend of mine who makes techno/VGM/acid/circuit bent type music loved his (of course until he sold it to make drums in reaktor and nord modular). he talked about lots of modulation and that its a poor man's machinedrum. complimented his tr-909 very well appartently but not THAT fun to edit

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

I love mine, it has a very punchy sound that cuts nicely trough the mix and it

I tried one when they first came out and it blew my mind, I found it very intuitive to use, you can mould the sounds easily on it with the filters and layering.  I bought one years later and it wasn't as good as I remembered, maybe my tastes had changed.  It was released around the time of Swingbeat so you can end up a bit Bobby Brown with the big snares and so on.  Some people really like them as sequencers I think.

great drum machine just buy it wink shoudnt have sold mine..... but you know how she goes

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?