Topic: esq-1 vs sq-80 sequencer

wanted an sq-80 for a while after seeing a vid on youtube of ceephax playing live with it. I didn't know the sequencer was so kick ass?! dropping in little pattern loops-Awesome!

so i broke down and found a esq-1 on CL for hella cheap and was reading that the sq-80 has "an improved" sequencer but cant seem to find what sets them apart. can any bot shed light on this subject?

also, is the sq-80 multi-timbral? I know you can split the keyboard on the esq-1 and get 2 sounds at the same time but i dont think the esq-1 is multi?

BTW i do live acid jams mostly and dont like master sequencers so internal sequencers are very important to me.

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

Re: esq-1 vs sq-80 sequencer

i've got an esq-1.  its multi-timbral and the sequencer is real easy to use. you can probably chain songs together and do a bit of editing but i tend to use it for basic pattern loops and sketches.
only downer is theres only stereo out, would have been better if there were a couple of aux outs. And no onboard fx which limits multi-part jam if you want some fx.
i think the sq-80 has aftertouch and a disk drive so you can save your seq's and sounds? not too many other differences.  Aril Brikha used one all over his transmat album.

Unless you plan on using the sequencer A LOT, I would actually go for the ESQ-1 over the SQ-80 (ESQ-1 owner here as well).    The SQ-80 has some extra waveforms, but they aren't all that great.  The keyboard is probably one of the worst I've ever felt (klunk! klunk!).  If I remember correctly the SQ-80 doesn't have any additional outputs or effects either.  The main benefit I think is the additional storage via the drive.

Here is a link to the sequencer part of the ESQ-1 manual if you want to see what the sequencer is capable of. 

ESQ-1 Sequencer

If that ESQ-1 you're looking at has the sequencer expansion, go for it!

great thanks for the info yall. I have read the manual now and think i understand a little more. The only thing that confuses me is that there are tracks within a sequence? I thought it was the other way around? will play around more tonight

A

"yeah yeah thats right"

always tracks withing a sequence