Topic: Distortion for drums

After a mixer upgrade I noticed I can no longer overdrive/distort mixer channels like I used to on an old Tascam.. I guess maybe there is too much headroom.  Can anyone recommend a good overdrive or distortion for primarily x0x drums... I'm not looking for a bitcrusher or anything crazy like that.. just looking to add a little grit.

Re: Distortion for drums

a cheap alternative would be Art Tube MP.
not that much control of the sound,  but quite similar to mixer pre-amp distortion.

sherman fb not cheap but fucking great

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

you really should go for the electro harmonix blackfinger (or give it a try), becaus of its versatility and control of the sound. you can damage the drums real hard or can use it very subtile. it can make your drums sing also. this is what i always wanted and i

Also other guitar pedal compressors such as the Boss CS series or its behringer clone, but the blackfinger is indeed one of the best.

all those pedals and filterbanks (i'm sure they are great) are not what i would think "to add a little grit" to your drumtrack. driving good pre-amps with a little hot signal level usually gives that small grit without eating up bass.

but that blackfinger sounds nice. that "making drums sing" part caught my attention smile

DamDuram wrote:

you really should go for the electro harmonix blackfinger (or give it a try), becaus of its versatility and control of the sound. you can damage the drums real hard or can use it very subtile. it can make your drums sing also. this is what i always wanted and i

also i used to have a shitload of cheapass D&R compressors/limiters between my gear and the soundcard inputs...

That also gives a more drift in the sound

9 (edited by DamDuram 2009-12-17 18:56:26)

this lp2 is the next one on my wantlist. didnt knew they have a stereo box like this. has it a range from subtle to harsh, smashed?

DamDuram wrote:

this lp2 is the next one on my wantlist. didnt knew they have a stereo box like this. has it a range from subtle to harsh, smashed?

its not really a smasher, it is more a warmer, but at full drive it adds some more harmonics etc, it doesnt sound extreme or very squarewaved at full drive.

the blackfinger is a sort of compressor so that smashes the dynamics so to say, this LP2ube doesnt

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply