Re: Ever buy something you wanted forever then you didn't like it so much?

Forax big_smile

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Forax wrote:

compression is easy to understand.  say you're throwing a loud party (thats your signal level).. at a certain volume your neighbors get pissed off and call the cops on you (threshold).  it takes a certain amount of time for the cops to respond and show up (attack time).  they tell you to turn the music down by some amount (ratio) and then they linger around before they go away (release) and you can turn it back up again

I finally understand smile

Forax, that is excellent

79 (edited by Retroromanic 2009-10-29 11:58:59)

Forax ftw!

I'm gonna try to bashorg this.

The SH-101 . Or at least it hasn't grown on me yet. I have a SH09 and a 303 and it seems the 101 falls short in both the acid and baseline category. Tho I must admit that the simplicity of the sequencer makes it fun. Am I to expect a revelation?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Probably not if you've got those sounds covered elsewhere.  101 is a musically useful synth and easy sequencer.  You might find it's easy to do trax with it and not spend too long editing sounds

82 (edited by crc 2009-11-17 03:18:59)

had the opportunity to try out a jupiter 8 last weekend. maybe i was hoping too much, but i wasn't blown away by the sounds. maybe i was expecting too much, maybe i have gotten used to those massive jx-10 sounds, or maybe i just had a few beers too many that night. i would be disappointed if i had spent something like 4000 euro on that thing.
next thing in my "ivory tower" of synths must be the elka synthex, since i think j8 just lost the first place for me :P

the 09 blows the pants off the 101. i sold my 101, and kept the 09 long ago. the 101 is fun and the sequencer is very cool, but soundwise the 09 wins hands down..

rude66 wrote:

the 09 blows the pants off the 101. i sold my 101, and kept the 09 long ago. the 101 is fun and the sequencer is very cool, but soundwise the 09 wins hands down..

is 09 that good? i never heard it but i'm pretty pleased with the sound of my 101...

85 (edited by plikestechno 2009-11-16 22:42:00)

Blows away? Might be a litlle over the top. But I guess it depends what you want.

I find the 09 definitely has a more vintage sound to it for sure and a bigger sound for basses but if you want to do anything else with it, it's useless compared to a 101. And maybe I'm talking out of my ass because I used the synths so far apart but it seemed brighter and noisier than the 101. Which is not always good. The 09 was one of my first synths but I sold it when I got my Cat SRM. The 09 I think is better suited to synthpop and electro but I've found the 101 compliments my rig better because it has a smoother bass tone for house and techno that I can't create on my modular or Octave Cat SRM. But all that said, I may sell it because I have a 202 as well. One or the other will go probably and because of the sequencer and more modular work I'm doing, I'm actually leaning towards keeping the 202. But it is nice to have polyphony. My 202 is a later model that doesn't have the cv/gate in delay issue. Not all 202s have this issue which gets overblown when discussing the 202.

the sh09 has a thicker, less plasticky sound, which is much better for deeper, non-resonant basses and leads. i find the 101 a lot more versatile, though, especially for live performance. the sequencer is always handy of course, but also the individual noise slider, plus the s&h and noise waveforms on the lfo allow for some very nice and interesting percussive sounds that the sh-09 can't even get close to. and the 101 is better for those ersatz-acid basslines, as well.
of course, with the price of 101s these days, the sh09 is a superior value for the money..

87 (edited by automatique 2009-11-16 22:31:44)

09s are getting up also: http://cgi.ebay.de/ROLAND-SYNTHESIZER-0 … 2ea880381c 572 euri! this one was fromerly owned by a guy called clickclickdecker from hamburg i guess.

and an SH2 is pretty much an SH09 with a 2nd Oscillator. Not to be passed up, that one. Ever.

89 (edited by plikestechno 2009-11-16 23:42:52)

Wow. That's a lot for an 09. They still come up in the states from 450-500 USD all the time.

Which is funny because 101s and 202s are going for 700+ US now. SH-2 for $800 or so.

But I find all vintage analog is starting to go up. Especially Rolands. That's why I've been so reticent in selling either the 101 and 202. It seems in Europe prices are going really crazy too compared to North America.

And a note on the Jupiter experience. I find polysynths have a far narrower scope of good vs. bad than monosynths and modulars. There are a lot of great analog polys for around 500. Whereas 500 is basically the starting point for vintage monos if you're lucky.

I know people who've sold Prophet 600s and 08s to buy Prophet 5s and been like "Really? Is that all there is?" The differences is there but is it worth 2k? Or 4k comparing the Jupiter 8 to the JX10? Probably not. I think when you spend that much money expectations can be too high and all you have left to get off on is the prestige of owning a Jupe 8 or Prophet.

I lucked out when I bought my T8 but it's the only one I need. I mean I have an Alpha Juno 1 and Casio CZ-5000 but they are on their own planets aside from this discussion.

Forax wrote:

compression is easy to understand.  say you're throwing a loud party (thats your signal level).. at a certain volume your neighbors get pissed off and call the cops on you (threshold).  it takes a certain amount of time for the cops to respond and show up (attack time).  they tell you to turn the music down by some amount (ratio) and then they linger around before they go away (release) and you can turn it back up again

great !!!

i'd only get rid of my 09 to get an sh2..

i guess it depends on what you use it for. i don't need it for percussion things or 303 basses, i have other stuff for that. i found the 09 has that nice creamy mid 70's roland sound, like the modulars, jupiter4, sh3, etc. the 101 sounds thin and plasticky compared to it. that can be fun, i used it live for many years to do acid lines. but for me, the 09 is a superb bass machine..

. no

Forax wrote:

Genius. Next do reverbs.

Also; this urgently needs diagrams with pictures of the cops and neighbours.

sh2 is not all that much better than the sh9...the second osc doesn't really add all that much to my ears, and its barely detuneable. some of the other extra features are nice, but at nearly twice the price of an sh09, it's really not worth it.

Didn't like Andromeda A6, hated DSI Prophet'08, loved Jupiter 6. I made some demo with the sounds I programmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8msrvkDOFg

I often read about those great dirty 12 bit drum samplers, so I decided to write a little program that reads from 16 bit WAV files and changes the numbers into 12 bit values.

I was so excited when I transformed my first 808 drum loop with it, and then I was very disappointed when I didn't hear any difference at all... I guess those samplers back then must have had some magic A/D converters or something, because simply removing the last 4 bits didn't bring in any "dirt"...

ZeHa wrote:

I often read about those great dirty 12 bit drum samplers, so I decided to write a little program that reads from 16 bit WAV files and changes the numbers into 12 bit values.

I was so excited when I transformed my first 808 drum loop with it, and then I was very disappointed when I didn't hear any difference at all... I guess those samplers back then must have had some magic A/D converters or something, because simply removing the last 4 bits didn't bring in any "dirt"...

In Battery there is this option to lo/fi your sound reducing bitrate/frequency. You'll definately hear the difference their and can have it's uses. The hardware samplers offer ofcourse more punch etc.

98 (edited by TROjAX 2010-01-14 20:34:38)

In the past i had to make a decisicion Andromeda A6 or a Jupiter 8, i choosed the A6. BIG MISTAKE ! I still kick my head for doing so. The Andromeda was a big dissapointment soundwise and from the interface 2 much knobs for a newbee at that time. Nowadays i can

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

Hey, at least you bought A6, few years ago I was stupid enough to buy a new SH-201...

http://www.deephousepage.com//smilies/hahaha.gif

mekonin wrote:

Hey, at least you bought A6, few years ago I was stupid enough to buy a new SH-201...