1 (edited by plikestechno 2008-07-23 09:04:18)

Topic: Good, NEW hardware modular synth?

I keep saying just one more and for the time being I mean one more. I'm kinda new to the game have just been making sounds for months while I get my theory and dexterity down. But the more I get into the synths the more excited and confident I've been with programming and what I'm finally getting out of them. So I don't really NEED anything else right now.

BUT...

I was given an accordion that I thought whatever of at first but turned out to be worth quite a bit of money. I considered keeping it because it was such a good one and could mic and modulate it but I sold it instead and am terrible at keeping money for a rainy day.

Damn, I've coveted a modular synth for a long time. Like since I was a little kid I've wanted to choke myself with patch cords. At first I thought of waiting for a vintage one on Ebay but I'm leery of buying vintage equipment on there now. You just don't know what you might get. Or what might happen with inexperienced shippers. And the new ones come with MIDIs and everything.

So far the studio's looking like

Waldorf Q
Waldorf Pulse
Solina B417
Casio CZ-5000
E-MU Proteus 2000 with additional orchestral and Techno Synth Construction Yard cards
Korg Poly 800 MkII
Programma ST-305

So what would compliment this best? Modular wise in a 2k-2500 US range? I went to analogue heaven and saw some of the new brands of modulars but it's hard to get excited for one partcular brand because internet reviews are so flakey. They're usually done by somebody who's had the equipment for a week and either loves it or loathes it. Or they tested it in a store once for five minutes so suddenly they're an expert.

Is somebody making some in their garage that's blowing the world away?

I really want to hit a home run. I want it to be my last major synth buy for a long time.

Re: Good, NEW hardware modular synth?

uhm, you know, in the modular synth circle there is no 'last major synth' feeling, especially because everything is built in single modules that
can interact together - it is very easy to get 'gear acquisition syndrome' with modular synths! the more modules you have, the more you want..

Choosing the right modular is something that only your ears and your hands can do...
For instance, I  have a 12U doepfer modular, but today I just received my Cwejman VCO2RM module and now I am really seeing the
difference in terms of building and sound quality (the price as well... Cwejman modules go more or less 4 time the price of a Doepfer,
depending on what they do)... So now I will shop for modules that are only Doepfer compatible (in terms of form factor and power supply) but
not made by Doepfer.

Sure, Doepfer is possibly the cheapest way to enter in the world of modulars, but I never expected it to be the 'final machine'. As I said before
I know that I will get more modules by different companies, when you choose the 'modular' way of life you basically choose every possible
bit and detail that is going to influence the sound...

Maybe you could be interested in a Synthesizer.com modular synth, which is an "official" clone of the original Moog modular from the 60s..
That might appeal you more, if you are after the Moog sound'n'feel.

Otherwise try to look around as much as possible and get informed about all the possible modules, sure it takes a long time, but it is an
interesting experience smile

Hope that I did help you without confusing you much tongue

Alex

PS: some modular synths manufacturers:
- Doepfer
- Cwejman
- Analogue Solutions
- Livewire
- Synthesizer.com
- MFB Fricke
- MOTM
- Bananalogue
- Curetronic
- The Harvestman
- Analogue Systems

it depends on what you want. for me all the 3,5inch minijack modulars are out, because they are flakey. most of the other manufacturers don't have a big and complete line of modules.

you want freaky, but expensive? serge or wiard.

you want nice, decent looking good sounding? motm or synthesizers.com.

of those, i'd go for the .com system.. looks superb, sounds very good and classic moog-ish, and it a lot cheaper than motm.. though that would be my second choice for a ''classic'' modular system.

Can you add whatever you want onto the synthesizer.com modular after?

Yes I have added Yusynth some CGS and MOTM into my .com frame without any issues at all. .COM is really only MOOG looking but the core is electronotes which is an electronics synth magazine from the 60's. Having said that some of the modules are quite Moog like the 960 sequencer module and ladder filter. I'm quite happy with my .com but I have supplemented it with other stuff now I'm building Euro also. Euro is more bang for your money and nice if you stay away from Doepfer stuff- there are so many modules in Euro its hard to resist having that handy. .COM have not designed a new module in a few years.

Another great option for large format is Modcan. Probably better design and sound then .com but also quite a bit more $$.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

6 (edited by plikestechno 2008-07-24 01:09:54)

Yeah, I went and looked at the Modcan prices because I'm Canadian and nearly passed out.

It'll probably be synthesizers.com (system 22 maybe) but I'll take awhile to think about it. I look forward to throwing the crazy Solina organ through it.

I think Doepfer bashing has become a regular sport in the net forum world, unfairly so.  Sure years ago the dieter "appropriated" certain designs from a well known dyi builder... but that's old news.

Really, mini-jacks aren't that much more flakey than the 1/4 inchers..  Several years ago I bought a 2-year old used doepfer system that never had a problem with flakey patch connections... maybe I just got lucky, maybe not...   

The thing about eurorack systems is that the more complex the patch gets, the more likely your fingers have to navigate through spaghetti to get that perfect tweak in.  Can you deal with this?  How chubby are your digits?

Sure, you can get a HUGE dotcom system, but really it's wasted real estate and just looks impressive.  I owned several modules and the face plate is way out of proportion to the guts.  The PCB is usually small enough to fit behind a doepfer panel, you just don't get the huge pots and 1/4" jacks.  I don't know if that matters. 

Besides, the module selection for dotcom + motm combined is BORING.  If you wanna make monosynth patches, sure it'll work.  But what's the point of having a modular then?  Hands down, the best selection of modules to date goes to eurorack format.  This is where the crazy stuff lives.  You've got your huge doepfer module selection, then add Analogue Systems, Anal Solutions, Blacet (Frac but mini), Cwejman, Plan B, livewire, banalogue, etcettera.

Nobody is forcing you to buy Doepfer's subpar low-end Oscillator or standard multimode filter, but don't discount the brand for other cool utility modules on the cheap.  Be choosy and picky.

every single doepfer i ever came across had issues with the minijack in- and outputs. i know of places that sold these things, and standard replaced all of them with better quality connectors.. i've worked extensively with an analogue solutuons drum modular, and it nearly fell apart right out of the box.. years later almost all connectors are broken. it's led me to never, ever buy a minijack modular.
1/4iinch is superior, provided you use the right connectors.. i know of moogs that still have the original ones 30 years later and work perfect. best would be banana jack, but not many synths use that format and it can be difficult with grounding.
you can call the .com and motm boring, but they are what modular synths were in the golden days.. listen to the music made with them. and the .com (and motm too) have a very powerful sound that most modern synths can't even touch. also a synth is all about the interface, and to me all those small modules look and feel cheap.. if anything, i'd buy small modules and transfer them to the .com/ motm format. bigger format modules work a lot nicer and easier, especially if you have a big spaghetti of cables.. i'd rather have a big synth that i'd feel inspired to play, than a small system that doesn't make me feel anything..
but this is all very personal of course. i know people that have made great stuff with doepfers..

Yeh I agree with discrete entirely but I still like a big kick ass full format modular...it's got presence. Also you can DIY in large format which is not quite so common for Euro yet except maybe CGS Panther.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

hmmmm i was thinking about getting the doepfer a-100 mini system. Thats their all in one starter package, mounted in a 19" cabinet with a couple of oscillators and filter and an adsr etc, the basic stuff.

Not so much to start The Big Modular per se but more to be a compact rack monosynth with some external audio routing capabilities and extensive connectivity (midi/cv etc)  To me the compact format coupled with the fact that you could expand it should you want to sounds pretty sweet. Haven't had the opportunity to try one though.

Some people say they sound really plastic but then some people say they sound great. But when I hear words like "sub par osc" here, i get worried. So when they say "Oberheim style filter", is that nothing but sales talk?

For the price I would never consider buying one new, it's just that one popped up in the classifieds for 700 euro, and that got me thinking...

Any one had any experience using that particular setup?

Modcan B might be a good option to perhaps.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

yeah, been sitting looking at modcans site for a while now. Pretty pretty sweet! First impression is that they sound ALOT better then the doepfers. Dang, I want that. Way way out of my league price wise of course. But maybe someday!

http://www.modcan.com/bphoto/front.jpg

@ t_k

i have the basic A-100 system from Doepfer with 6 HE and 23 modules, using it with a doepfer mcv-4 midi interface.
I think it sounds great. But it depends on which sound you prefer...   The Doepfer sounds more raw, more clinical. A Moog or Arp Modular sounds more warmly. But this one is good for cold and abrasive experimental sounds.

It's better if you listen to a small soundclip from me : DivShare File - a-100-showcase.mp3

Only the A-100 with sometimes a reverb on it.

I've bought the unit 1996 and it still working good.

keen K --- Divider --- Starcluster --- keen k / dorian e. --- Trans-Active Nightzone

keen K myspace