Re: Mac help and related questions topic

That's it! thanks ronin smile

Dancin' for freaks and fame!

sure thing smile

PROBLEM SETTING MY AUDIO KONTROL 1 SOUNDCARD ON A MAC !
alright
so i got a new laptop (Macbook Pro) and I've connected my Audio Kontrol 1 soundcard to it, installed the drivers and all went and worked well: until a week ago.
never had a mac of my own so bear with me smile

For some reason the sys. pref. will not change to the Audio Kontrol:
1. when I switched back to "Audio Kontrol" in the sys. prefs. it didn't really switch to it -> (the internal speakers still worked - although the audio kontrol soundcard was definately chosen).
2. On top of that: every time I close and re-opene the system preferences, the default returns to the internal speakers.

I have tried installing with 2 different installers, both didn't solve the problem.
I have tried to "Repair Disk Permissions" -> didnt fix the problem.

The only suspicious things that happened here before last week is that maybe (just maybe) somebody has hit "Enter" (wasn't me! big_smile) on the system updates -> (either im stoned or somebody hit the update button an OK)..
but anyway - installing the soundcard driver again doesnt help.
Another thing --> When i try to run the Audio Kontrol application, it crashes (hasn't been crashing before).

Help?

try a combo update of OS X

Try changing the default Input and Output device in Audio/Midi Setup, not in system preferences.

You find it in : Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup

thnx guys
cimabot!
-> ive tried that as well - it doesn't change, but i may be doing something wrong:

heres a snapshot of my audio/midi setup:
http://img714.imageshack.us/i/screensho … at410.png/

ronin
will try that, thnx!

whoops... your screen shot tells me Snow Leopard... have you checked that the drivers for your Audio Interface are Snow Leopard compatible? looking at the NI website it doesn't look like it... That should be the issue:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum … hp?t=96314

I personally never needed a driver for one of my soundcards on mac, but maybe this will help (at least it saves lots of troublt):

Use Soundsource: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/ now you can select input and output in a menu from your bar (next to wireless and battery) don't know if it will fix your problem but at least saves you opening lots of menus....

Cimabot
aha!! i think thats it
i have no idea how my mac "just up and updated itslef" like that - i mean i've checked out about upgrading to Snow Leopard and decided NOT to update. damn.
anyway i will still try the update again, and if not, (ouch) format back to the OSX..

baz -
thnx.. i never had a problem with the soundcard inteface (if thats what you mean..) - just the fact that it wouldn't work with my mac all of a sudden..

thanks a lot guys!!

35 (edited by ronin 2010-01-25 23:39:00)

if it's a new laptop then most likely it already has snow leopard (10.6.x)
you are reliant on audio kontrol 1 updates for this OS. go to their site and download the latest installer.

ronin -
i have used the latest audio kontrol installer from their site and it hasnt helped..
this mac is half a year old - i bought sec hand and it had osx at the beginning.. hmm
somebody pressed the red button lol

it must be the snow leopard. ill check that anyway

strange, didn't know it possible. as far as i knew Leopard, can;t upgrade to Snow Leopard.
i wouldn't downgrade from snow leopard, it's better and lighter OS, look for updates on NI and maybe try to contact them.
if it's OS problem i'm sure they'll have answers

Revert to Leopard and I suspect you won't see the issue smile

Don't revert to Leopard, it's not a solution .. Contact NI, if it's a real issue I'm sure many peeps are having it and they have adressed it

yeah its a good idea i'll contact them too
will inform you guys later
thnaks guys!

snow leop has been out for a few months now so they (NI and others) should have working drivers by now...

unless
- they are lazy asses not dedicated to the os x platform
- apple screwed up royally somewherer in the internals

NI is a major company so I doubt they don't have the drivers .. I'm sure it'll get sorted out

i think so too

Barbara Stretch wrote:

Cimabot
baz -
thnx.. i never had a problem with the soundcard inteface (if thats what you mean..) - just the fact that it wouldn't work with my mac all of a sudden..

I just discovered that this little program can overrule audio-interfaces so maybe it would work with your problem (you select the card but nothing happens...) but best is of course to contact NI instead of doing all kinds of workarounds...

Kenzaburo wrote:

Don't revert to Leopard, it's not a solution .. Contact NI, if it's a real issue I'm sure many peeps are having it and they have adressed it

it is a solution if drivers are not yet released or if a fix isn't available. you can always upgrade to snow leopard when the drivers are released.

seems they haven't been released yet.. weird though because they write that this only creates trouble with the mapping tool and not the communication altogether..
still reading though:
http://co.native-instruments.com/knowle … ac+OS+10.6