Re: Should I buy...

So I'll buy it next week smile. Just made reservation.

What do you think of KORG DVP-1 ?

DVP1 reminds me vocoder from Microkorg a bit...
Here's old sample from 2003:
http://pustostany.pl/fotoplastikon/vocoder.mp3

stamba wrote:

What do you think of KORG DVP-1 ?

internal carrierwaves are very cool, are also used in Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream soundtrack. You can play it as a polysynth with those waves or use it as carrier etc, versatile piece of gear. They have a nice rattling sound to them

The vocoder is okay, nothing spectacular but not bad.

looking for a synth recommendation.
need a small polysynth for gigging. needs to be sturdy, light, and have a pitch bender.
sound is less important than size/weight - but don't want a virtual analog, no microkorg stuff. was considering either a small DX or CZ (can't remember the model numbers for the smallest ones), or maybe an alpha juno 1/2? how heavy are the alpha junos? is there anything i'm forgetting or overlooking? i guess i could just use my poly800, too...

1,181 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2010-01-31 21:44:53)

SOS wrote:

need a small polysynth for gigging. needs to be sturdy, light, and have a pitch bender.
sound is less important than size/weight - but don't want a virtual analog, no microkorg stuff. was considering either a small DX or CZ (can't remember the model numbers for the smallest ones), or maybe an alpha juno 1/2? how heavy are the alpha junos? is there anything i'm forgetting or overlooking? i guess i could just use my poly800, too...

The DX and CZ you are probably looking for are the DX100 and CZ101. If it's really only to bring along for shows and sound doesn't matter so much I'd go for the DX because it's push buttons are better constructed than those of the CZ101. The DX keyboard also feels better but the keys are slightly smaller compared to the CZ, yet both are not really practical if you have big hands. Soundwise the DX100 comes very close to the CZ101, but the CZ is easier to edit and it's 4 parts multitimbral (4 monophonic parts if you use both oscs). The CZ1000 is the same as the 101 but slightly bigger with bigger keys and the buttons are better designed. Still, because both CZ's use 6 D-cell batteries to back up the user memory I wouldn't trust them for live gigs. Not unless you mod it.

Another option could be the Korg 707. Quite a challange to edit (well, at least compared to the CZ and DX) but it sounds quite in the same league (they used a Yamaha FB01 chip). It is bigger than both the CZ101 and DX100, with bigger keys and it seems pretty well build. I've never taken the 707 out to gigs (unlike the DX100 and CZ101) so I can't tell how well it actually is build, but it seems pretty sturdy.

In euro country, the CZ101, 1000 and DX100 will all sell for about 250 euro, more or less. The Korg 707 goes for less, I reckon 150.

Btw why not the MicroKorg? It is a very good little synth...

btw. what should one pay for an alpha juno 1/2 ?

KInd of

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Any thoughts on LEM desks? I had a look at this a while back, the LEM Live 160, which I'm guessing is 80s/90s live desk for smaller bands/venues?

http://www.musikmarknaden.se/_images/mu … A7512A.jpg

Compact 16 channel desk with aux sends out the ying-yang (4 of which have a 2 band eq on them) I can't find any info online. A post on Gearslutz mentioned something about "running in the opposite direction as fast as you can", whatever that means. It has phantompowered mic pres on all 16 channels which I kinda want but the eqs did not seem that great. I was actually there to buy something else, and the guy said i could have it for 100 euro including flightcase, which sounded tempting, but I ended up leaving without it. Anybody used this at all?

that sounds like a pretty good deal.. it'll surely sound better than something like a behringer or other cheapo mixers.. and it seems pretty well spec-ed, inclusing subgroups, midsweep eq's and indeed a lot of aux sends.. nice long faders.. as far as i know, lem=gem=crumar=italy.. but it might be another desk with just the lem name tag on it..

Brian Chinetti wrote:
SOS wrote:

The DX and CZ you are probably looking for are the DX100 and CZ101. If it's really only to bring along for shows and sound doesn't matter so much I'd go for the DX because it's push buttons are better constructed than those of the CZ101. The DX keyboard also feels better but the keys are slightly smaller compared to the CZ, yet both are not really practical if you have big hands. Soundwise the DX100 comes very close to the CZ101, but the CZ is easier to edit and it's 4 parts multitimbral (4 monophonic parts if you use both oscs). The CZ1000 is the same as the 101 but slightly bigger with bigger keys and the buttons are better designed. Still, because both CZ's use 6 D-cell batteries to back up the user memory I wouldn't trust them for live gigs. Not unless you mod it.

Another option could be the Korg 707. Quite a challange to edit (well, at least compared to the CZ and DX) but it sounds quite in the same league (they used a Yamaha FB01 chip). It is bigger than both the CZ101 and DX100, with bigger keys and it seems pretty well build. I've never taken the 707 out to gigs (unlike the DX100 and CZ101) so I can't tell how well it actually is build, but it seems pretty sturdy.

In euro country, the CZ101, 1000 and DX100 will all sell for about 250 euro, more or less. The Korg 707 goes for less, I reckon 150.

Btw why not the MicroKorg? It is a very good little synth...

yeah i've had friends lose all their cz101 patches, ugh. might not be the way to go. the synth is actually for my bandmate, mostly just playing pads and some leads. don't like the microkorg's small keys (another detracting point for the dx100 and cz101), and not partial to its sound, so we wouldn't get any use out of it outside of gigs.
korg 707 might be good, thanks for the recommendation smile
anybody w/ any alpha juno weight info? i've never actually played one.

SOS wrote:

don't like the microkorg's small keys (another detracting point for the dx100 and cz101)

get a DX21. sounds like a DX100, but bigger keys, split & double modes, chorus ect..

thanks rude! I'll think I'll give it a try. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy now.

crc wrote:
SOS wrote:

don't like the microkorg's small keys (another detracting point for the dx100 and cz101)

get a DX21. sounds like a DX100, but bigger keys, split & double modes, chorus ect..

have a dx21 already, actually! hadn't even considered that as an option, although maybe that could work. it's still on the heavy-ish side - size and weight are the two most important factors here. we're doing some touring, and anything to cut down weight is going to be essential.

I see a lot of people famous and not so famous using Microkorgs. The synth engine is pretty cool and it makes a great controller. I will probably buy one again soon. Had one for about a week once. As I was getting it I needed money for the T8. But I think another is on the horizon. I was making some cool deepchord/Mikkel Metal-y shit the night before a guy came to pick it up.

Fotoplastikon wrote:

Should I buy EMU SP12 Turbo with Commodore 1541 floppy and more than 100 disks with samples (half of them is original) for 300 euro?

YOU WILL LOVE IT MAN!!!!

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

plikestechno wrote:

I see a lot of people famous and not so famous using Microkorgs. The synth engine is pretty cool and it makes a great controller. I will probably buy one again soon. Had one for about a week once. As I was getting it I needed money for the T8. But I think another is on the horizon. I was making some cool deepchord/Mikkel Metal-y shit the night before a guy came to pick it up.

Its only a good controller if you have the fingers of a small child. My sausage digits do not take too kindly to the tiny keys. NIce sounds and synth engine. Worth looking at the ms2000 though as its the same but with a much more user friendly interface.

plikestechno wrote:

oh yeah, microkorgs are everywhere, in just about every genre of music right now. and to be fair, that's part of the reason i wouldn't want to be using one - just that kneejerk snobbishness :-P
but i've also spent more than a couple hours w/ one, and just never found it compelling. buzzy, tinny, and plasticky in all the wrong ways, shitty small keys, kinda cheap build, and a pretty unappealing interface, just really no charm. i honestly don't see what people find exciting about it, other than the relatively low price and the easy replaceability...

I sold my recently acquired Microkorg already, I thought the sound was ok in the mids, but programming it sucks.

I'm an analog snob too, can't help it, even if I try hard, is there a cure? smile  Because when the guy came to buy it I thought my Juno-60 was feerunning its arp when I turned on the studio, but it was the MicroKorg, it was the best salespitch I could make.

the only emulation that really impressed me recently was the Boss RE-20, you can't overdrive it and the reverb is useless for me, but on certain settings I'm pretty sure it sounds better than my RE-101.

TONY COPS wrote:

I sold my recently acquired Microkorg already, I thought the sound was ok in the mids, but programming it sucks.

I'm an analog snob too, can't help it, even if I try hard, is there a cure? smile  Because when the guy came to buy it I thought my Juno-60 was feerunning its arp when I turned on the studio, but it was the MicroKorg, it was the best salespitch I could make.

haha, that's hilarilous. i totally know what you mean, though. there's plenty of VA and other newer synths that you can get very good sounds out of, and plenty of records i love have been made w/ them. im sure opening my mind more to them would be beneficial. in the past i've enjoyed playing w/ the nord lead and micromodular. i know two bands that play live w/ a DSI evolver, and it sounds pretty good...
still, bottom line - why deal w/ a microkorg when, when playing w/ a juno 60 is more fun, more efficient, and generally sounds better? i just know if i had one in the studio, i would NEVER touch it. i even rarely reach for my poly800 because i find programming it too dull and slow, and that synth has a lot more inherent, albeit awkward, charm than the microkorg...

uh, anyway, still no word on the alpha junos - can anybody tell me about how heavy they are?

They are a little heaver than a Korg poly 800 loaded with batteries. Prety light. Very reliable, send Chord data over Midi too which is good... No aftertouch. you have to watch out for the pitch mod Joy as its the only thing that sticks up on the synth..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Alpha Juno 2 has aftertouch, but like with other Roland synths it sometimes isn't working that good anymore today.
Cleaning might help. In my case the small aftertouch-plug inside the synth was loose, but i still have to press very hard for the aftertouch to respond.

MACurious wrote:

Alpha Juno 2 has aftertouch...

more importantly alpha juno 2 also has velocity (unlike other juno's), and that i think is quite essential for more expressive keyboard action!

is there a significant weight diff between the 1/2?

juno1 is about 5.5 kilos
juno2 is about 7.5 kilos