Topic: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

Well it must be the Heat, Switched on my Korg Poly 61 today and now i get s sustained sound constantly on any patch with no key pressed. I thought it might be a dodgy key but it tracks the keys played to last note.. Apart form when switched on which is lowest octave.
Any Ideas?

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Re: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

Perhaps a battery issue? I never had one myself, but the Poly 61 is known to have all sorts of problems due to a leaking battery, perhaps this is a sign.

my tr707 is dead, when you switch on, it begin to sound crazy and you can not press any key.
The Technical support said me that there is no solution... :s

On the other hand,i have a juno 106 with a noise( something like when you crumple a paper)  sometimes very irritating and some keys sound less, but i think that only needs a deep cleaning.

victor robots wrote:

On the other hand,i have a juno 106 with a noise( something like when you crumple a paper)  sometimes very irritating and some keys sound less, but i think that only needs a deep cleaning.

to be sure it only needs cleaning play it via midi and see what happens...

My dw8k  deleted all my patches and makes crazy sounds due to parameter settings being set out of range.  Stupid battery!!! wish i did a sysex dump.. lost all my tones!  Now to order parts and do that battery mod shit.

victor robots wrote:

I suspect one or more of your VCA chips is on the way out. Refer to last paragraph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Juno-106

and perform diagnostic procedure:
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu … t-mode.txt

If it is indeed dead, slaughter an MKS7 or try this:
http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/D80017/

If anyone knows of a spare Oberheim Expander power board please let me know. Been after one for a few years and no luck.

I have tried to layout my own to remake it but as the one I have is so damaged I'm not 100% sure on tracks.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

computerdisco wrote:

Well it must be the Heat, Switched on my Korg Poly 61 today and now i get s sustained sound constantly on any patch with no key pressed. I thought it might be a dodgy key but it tracks the keys played to last note.. Apart form when switched on which is lowest octave.
Any Ideas?

Try checking the connections between the boards. My Poly61m wasn't very happy starting up a couple of months back. Despite not having moved off my shelf for a good few years, reseating the connectors sorted it out.

Grr, i ordered 8 cables from Kentons website (2 meter minitele->tele mono intended for cv/gate use) with another order. I thought 'Hey! They made the interface so why not get some nice cables from them too?'. Fuck me. Atleast one didnt work (havent tried them all yet) and now the tip of one fucking broke off inside of my Mono/Poly! Not only that, the tele side of the cables is a little bit too big so you have to force em into the jacks (Tried em in ms-20, monopoly and Pro One), i guess this is why it fucking broke. They where fucking expensive too, 8 pieces @ 23.60 gbp.

Where do i find some good mono minitele-tele cables? I cant be assed to make them myself.

(edit: this is more a GRRRRR post than a repair post big_smile)

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

it broke off inside the input? what kind of shitty jacks are that?? never seen that.. mail kenton and ask for a refund.. they should have a guarantee.

and aehm.. in the time it took you to write that post, you could have made your own! big_smile

That is some kind of ultrashitty jacks. And the plastic cover part bends even from the slightest pressure and ofcourse unwind itself from the metal base all the time. Gonna take a pic for your amusement in a bit.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

equaliser wrote:
computerdisco wrote:

Any Ideas?

Try checking the connections between the boards. My Poly61m wasn't very happy starting up a couple of months back. Despite not having moved off my shelf for a good few years, reseating the connectors sorted it out.

Going to check all of that this weekend, FUN!

Got a CS-10 from Japan... Using the right power converter.... At power up the power led doesn't light, but the LFO led blinks and tracks the rate knob. No sound produced from the synth whatsoever, only by plugging the trig out into the speakers I get a faint click if pressing any key.

Ebay seller willing to refund if I ship back but considering to get a refund for a repair instead... does anybody know what could be wrong with it and think it's repairable?

it will almost certainly be a dead power rail.

was it tested actually working before it was shipped?

in that case, something has come loose, and it probably just needs a bit of a fiddle and a re-solder. easy.

otherwise maybe a tantalum went down and took out the positive analogue power supply? that would also be an easy fix.

otherwise, could be something completely different? and might not be easy.

I think your best bet would be to take it to a repair place first and get a quick repair quote.

BMX wrote:

That is some kind of ultrashitty jacks. And the plastic cover part bends even from the slightest pressure and ofcourse unwind itself from the metal base all the time. Gonna take a pic for your amusement in a bit.

Broken tip inside? Very far from cool...
Once I had the same due to shitty big to mini jack converter...I removed the tip inside using some long needle and sticky gum,no opening needed,just surgeon steady hand big_smile

Hope it works and yes I agree with rude build your own and ask for refund!

no-fi wrote:

otherwise, could be something completely different? and might not be easy.

Makes me worry more and more that the power converter I bought on purpose for the cs-10 has let me down... bust power rail or... what do you think could be the worst case scenario?

I fried my Holy Grail Pedal. It smells like burnt power supplies do. Maybe I had my polarity set wrong on my universal power supply? Think it will be an easy fix or should I just forget it?

i'd open it up and take a looksie before you forsake it.. you'll probably see char marks around the busted part.

I did already but I'll take another look tomorrow. All I remember is that there was a small glassy square chip loose inside.

20 (edited by no-fi 2008-08-06 10:31:02)

cimabot wrote:

what do you think could be the worst case scenario?

worst case scenario is the whole thing is fried.

that'd be pretty unlikely, though.

no sound + something like an LFO still running is pretty much SCREAMING that you have lost an analogue power supply rail.

another possibility, from what you just said is maybe just the stepdown transformer you are using isn't right.... 
but if you don't even know what the deal is with your stepdown transformer, you should just take it to a shop and get it looked at....  It's much easier to work out what's wrong with something if the person trying to work out what's wrong can actually see it.
:-)

Nice one no-fi, tx for the advice.
taking the synth to a repair guy for a quick look, and will take it from there.

I checked the stepdown transformer with a multimeter and the voltage is right. I was afraid I could have bought a faulty one, plugged the synth in and fried something, but that doesn't seem t be the case...

:-)

22 (edited by Robotworks 2008-08-08 13:11:30)

Might be a problem of power delivery rather than voltage. If your stepdown transformer delivers only 500 mW when the synth requires 800 mW, some of functions won't work.

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

Thanks Robotworks. The synth is going to a repair centre this week and hopefully it'll be revived.
Tx for all the advice!

Meh, no info on my poly 61 tho.. You all Suck at helping! No kidding big_smile

cimabot and myself have found a new tech so were all excited right now for the repair possibilities.. big_smile

All my gear is slowly falling apart sad. My Juno 60 doesn't keep its memory, I load up a preset and it loses it after a minute or so. This is probably the battery issue, as a complete novice who has never soldered anything in his life, can I sort this out myself? Even more disturbingly my 808 has problems as well, the snare and clap sound distorted/decimated, any ideas? @ computerdisco and cimabot who's the new tech you've found?