Re: Should i buy a TR-808 or a Akai Mpc 2500

TR808. No argument. The end.

TROjAX wrote:
dequalsrxt wrote:

i might also add that you can trigger your synths with a sample via the individual outs on an mpc.  I'm able to do it with my 2000xl and roommate has gotten his 1000 to work in the same way.  that being said, i don't want to discourage anyone from buying an 808 smile 

as far as the timing goes, i think it also has to do alot to do with the device being used to sync these boxes together.  I had borrowed a cheap din-sync device, and found it really sloppy compared to using my pro-solo, and i know there are devices even tighter than that.  But, if you're sequencing everything from the 808 via clock triggers, you probably won't notice any wobbliness or drift, because all the synths will be wobbly and drifting with each other in the exact same way.

i just saw a video on youtube where a guy syncs his Juno 60 to his machinedrum via a rimshot sample, and it works ! There are too many pro arguments for the mpc, i think I should get a MPC. I am just little concerned about the soundquality of the MPC.

Thanks a lot robots, i think i have made my decision now.

nothing wrong with the sound of an mpc (i own a 2000xl)
what you put in is what you get out
it doesn't have any character of it's own like with an E-Mu or Ensoniq though, but that can be a good thing.
i get quite tight TR-X0X sounds out of it from clean samples.

Yeah, 808 + 2000xl later

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

oh.. what i forgot to say:
get an 808!

and an MPC if you like.
You won't regret either, but the 808 won't fail you ever.

It seems you cant find a 808 under 1200 euros ? WTF ?!

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

it's quite wtf price indeed ..

32 (edited by automatique 2009-12-11 21:29:42)

You just have to be patient, search every day over google etc. and then be quick: klick den link is aber schon weg...

ok i have to save a lot of money now...    for a 808 ! smile

where you from? I know one for 900 euro in NL . well will be prolly be gone by now
here it is : http://synthforum.nl/forums/showthread. … ght=tr-808

Dutch only site unfortunatly, but maybe you can reg and use babelfish. It says that it is completly serviced aswell

Buy MPC u can make a whole song w it and can sound like anything!!! buy 808 when u find a big bag of money!

Thank you SepticStudio, but right now i haven

The pragmatic 'me' would say MPC (and sample a tr808 onto it).
But the romantic 'me' would say tr808, no regrets!

Just a small question, how does the triggering from an 808 work? Do you just send start/stop signals to the synths so that they start their own sequencers, or is it somehow possible to trigger individual notes?

It's just a trigger, to sync sequencers and arpeggiators, trigger drum synths or a gate input on a cv/gate synth. 
Or even to plug right into the mixer, Egyptian Lover style.

for sure TR808!
with the MPC you can do lot of things more, but if you really like the 808 sound...
no way to have the same results with samples...

I have the kenton midi mod on mine....and I think will never sell it...

PS: I agree with Freek about the TR606.....cheaper solution but really good, fully analog and you can also modify it to have individual outputs. I love 606 kick and hats

41 (edited by ZeHa 2010-03-08 08:28:09)

Yeah but on the other hand, a 606 doesn't sound like an 808 wink

There's also the Acidlab Miami, maybe that's worth checking out. It's a bit cheaper and it's brandnew, but of course it doesn't have quite the same sex-appeal as the original...

EDIT: Another option might be the Novation Drumstation, it's an 808 and 909 emulation inside a rack machine, this in combination with an MPC could be actually a good compromise.