Topic: Reset Akai XR-10?

I feel it's about time to reset my XR-10 to factory settings. Anyone happen to know if it's posible and how? The manual says nothing about it.

Re: Reset Akai XR-10?

Oh, a user of the rare Akai XR-10, that's seldom. wink
It's been a while i last used my XR-10, but i think there is nothing like a factory reset.
What exactly do you want to reset? I remember that the internal patterns and sound settings can not be overwritten,
so no need for something like a factory reset. There is a specific user area for own patterns and sound changes.

MACurious wrote:

Oh, a user of the rare Akai XR-10, that's seldom. wink

Oh, it's rare? Didn't know that. Favourite pieces of gear. Use it all the time.
But come to think of it, I never met more than 1 other user + you ...

MACurious wrote:

It's been a while i last used my XR-10, but i think there is nothing like a factory reset.

Yeah well, I know the manual doesn't mention one. But have heard of other cases where essential stuff like that has been left out of the documentation allthough it's there.

MACurious wrote:

What exactly do you want to reset? I remember that the internal patterns and sound settings can not be overwritten, so no need for something like a factory reset.

Your memory serves you right on the pattern part, but all sounds can be changed and that's what I'd like to reset. As you know there's a whole bunch of them. They can -- and in my case have been along the years -- edited quite heavily. I'd like to hear what it "should sound like" again, but am way too lazy to go thru every single parameter and reset one by one.

gn wrote:
MACurious wrote:

What exactly do you want to reset? I remember that the internal patterns and sound settings can not be overwritten, so no need for something like a factory reset.

Your memory serves you right on the pattern part, but all sounds can be changed and that's what I'd like to reset. As you know there's a whole bunch of them. They can -- and in my case have been along the years -- edited quite heavily. I'd like to hear what it "should sound like" again, but am way too lazy to go thru every single parameter and reset one by one.

Edited sounds can only be saved in the provided user slots. All sounds in those slots are just changed versions from the internal sounds. The original sounds can not be overwritten, so all available sounds are still there in un-edited form.

5 (edited by gn 2010-03-08 21:10:14)

No, the original KITS can't be overwritten, but the sounds the kits consist of are all editable.

Might be, i don't remember exactly. I would have to hook it up but at the moment there's other gear that needs my attention. smile
Anyway, if you find a factory reset (if there really is one) it would be great if you would post it here.

MACurious wrote:

Anyway, if you find a factory reset (if there really is one) it would be great if you would post it here.

I will! No high hopes though...

Hi guys. There is no factory reset. I've got two XR-10s with manuals and have been through both. I have a sysex dump from one of mine - the sounds are edited a little, but this will reload any missing preset patterns that can be lost when the internal battery dies. At some point I will go through the sounds and set them back to factory settings - then do another sysex file.

If you want the SYSEX file PM me and I can email it to you.
Still wading through the sounds changing them back to factory settings - but have a sysex file which has the preset patterns and the sounds as they stand.

I would like to get mine to reset as well. I just bought it and replaced the battery and it still sounds quite screwed up.  Does anyone have a sysex backup of the sounds and patterns?

n8bit wrote:

I would like to get mine to reset as well. I just bought it and replaced the battery and it still sounds quite screwed up.  Does anyone have a sysex backup of the sounds and patterns?

Hi n8bit

Got your email. Will send you the files later today.

This will reset the patterns back to factory setting.

Hey, I had missed the "new" posts on the thread here, hadn't checked it for a while. (So thanks n8bit for messaging me!)

Thank you Turrican, but I'm running such and outdated setup that I can't load sysex from this here hitek Mac into it. (Plus it's really just restoring the sounds I'm interested in.) But thanks anyway!

I guess I'll just sit down and start "cleaning" the sounds one by one, some time when the right mood is upon me.

Well if you change your mind - email me and i can send them to you.

You may possibly find a way to use the files from a Mac.

The sounds are edited very little from the factory sounds and it would save you a lot of effort!

Turrican808 wrote:

Well if you change your mind - email me and i can send them to you.

I just did! (Both change my mind and e-mail you.)