Topic: 61 or 49

Ok, so i'm planning on getting a midicontroller with keys. I already cut it down to two models: the Akai mpk49 and mpk61, which only differ (besides 4 drumpads) in the number of keys.

I'm no piano player, but i do want to follow some lessons in the near future. So besides messin' about with softsynths i would also like to use it for practice.

Do you guys think 49 keys is too few? Or will this do for basic synth action?

Heil CBS

Re: 61 or 49

49 keys is perfectly sufficient in my opinion. I actually use only 37 keys wink

It's perfectly fine for producing, but it can be a bit annoying though if you e.g. play the bass with the left hand and a melody with the right for jamming around. But for that case, you can simply split the keyboard (if the AKAI supports it, which I assume, but don't know for sure), map it to two sounds (or twice the same sound) but different octaves. I sometimes have to do that, but remember, I have one octave less. The reason why I chose it was because I wanted to save space and be able to carry it easily around when going to a live gig.

Thx zeha.. the 49 key doesn't support key split.. the new 61 key version does.. hmmm

Heil CBS

Check they've got dedicated octave switch buttons, you'll use them all the time on a 49 note keyboard.

Actually, I can't live without 88 weighted keys... crappy me and the 8 years of piano lessons tongue

a.

Thx for the tips guys!

Heil CBS